Best time for a Rhine cruise to avoid flood/drought stoppages?

Llandudno Llad

We are planning our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We have saved our pennies and want to celebrate on a Rhine Cruise. We would like to go in the summer 2018, but also want to avoid any river stoppages as we can't travel on the coach alternatives. Can anyone advise us please?

Thanks,

Roger & Chris

We are planning our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We have saved our pennies and want to celebrate on a Rhine Cruise. We would like to go in the summer 2018, but also want to avoid any river stoppages as we can't travel on the coach alternatives. Can anyone advise us please?

Thanks,

Roger & Chris

Hi, Roger & Chris--

Can't give you much advice, as we are looking forward to our first cruise of any kind ever--Christmas Markets this December. But we had to respond as we too have saved our pennies for what is for us a big splurge celebrating our 50th anniversary on 12/22/17. We will be cruising Basel to Amsterdam. Will tell you all about it!

Mary & Marty

I'm not prying, but think about why you can't do bus tours. River cruises entail lots of walking, and there will be busing for some excursions.

Yes, I realise that there will be optional excursions:rolleyes:. But what I really want is some constructive reply to my query. Thanks anyway.

I would suggest that you look for threads that discuss water levels - especially look for posts from notamermaid as she lives near the river. My take from reading such posts is that there is never a guarantee. Obviously some seasons/sections of the river are more prone to low water issues while other seasons/sections are prone to high water issues. There can also be lock issues that affect river traffic. Note also that due to docking/scheduling issues your boat may move while you are out on a tour necessitating a bus trip to the new location.

Do your research on water levels (your post here is a great beginning), check out which boats and river cruise lines are more susceptible to issues with water level and how they handle such issues, and after you choose a particular cruise, monitor the river condition so that you are prepared for any issues.

Check the draft of the ships. More shallow draft ships have less problems in drought conditions. Look at the website "Marine Traffic" for specific ship details.

IMO: having taken a day trip on the Rhine from Bacharach to Koblenz, a cruise is much more scenic than a land tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest that you look for threads that discuss water levels - especially look for posts from notamermaid as she lives near the river. My take from reading such posts is that there is never a guarantee. Obviously some seasons/sections of the river are more prone to low water issues while other seasons/sections are prone to high water issues. There can also be lock issues that affect river traffic. Note also that due to docking/scheduling issues your boat may move while you are out on a tour necessitating a bus trip to the new location.

Do your research on water levels (your post here is a great beginning), check out which boats and river cruise lines are more susceptible to issues with water level and how they handle such issues, and after you choose a particular cruise, monitor the river condition so that you are prepared for any issues.

Hi Bill and Luwana,

Thanks for your good advice, I will try what you suggest. We are hoping that July will be ok. We will be quite happy enjoying the cruise and seeing the scenery without going on long coach trips or extended walks.

Thanks again,

Roger

Thanks,

Roger & Chris

Congratulations on your 50th!

My husband and I just returned from a Rhine Cruise about 10 days ago. We have traveled in the spring for 3/4 of our river cruises for a few reasons. First, for us, the prices are lower, since we often sail the first or second cruise of the season. Second, the weather is cooler. We tend to like to do more active excursions, and often create our own (like walking to the top of church towers, or to castle ruins) and the cooler weather is more conducive to those activities. Third, I'm not aware of any stoppages this early in the season. Fourth, there seem to be fewer cruises operating (we passed several empty ships, likely getting into place for their first round of guests), this led to very little "rafting" with other ships. Fifth, because of four, there are fewer crowds.

Our weather was perfect the entire week, sunny to mostly sunny, and 65-75. I've started a thread, and am just now getting to the cruise part (we spent 2 nights in Lucerne, independently, prior to the cruise)

Here's the link, if you'd like to follow along:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

Happy to answer any more questions.

Robin

Check the draft of the ships. More shallow draft ships have less problems in drought conditions. Look at the website "Marine Traffic" for specific ship details.

IMO: having taken a day trip on the Rhine from Bacharach to Koblenz, a cruise is much more scenic than a land tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good idea Nancy, I will have a look at that site. Thanks a lot.

Congratulations on your 50th!

My husband and I just returned from a Rhine Cruise about 10 days ago. We have traveled in the spring for 3/4 of our river cruises for a few reasons. First, for us, the prices are lower, since we often sail the first or second cruise of the season. Second, the weather is cooler. We tend to like to do more active excursions, and often create our own (like walking to the top of church towers, or to castle ruins) and the cooler weather is more conducive to those activities. Third, I'm not aware of any stoppages this early in the season. Fourth, there seem to be fewer cruises operating (we passed several empty ships, likely getting into place for their first round of guests), this led to very little "rafting" with other ships. Fifth, because of four, there are fewer crowds.

Our weather was perfect the entire week, sunny to mostly sunny, and 65-75. I've started a thread, and am just now getting to the cruise part (we spent 2 nights in Lucerne, independently, prior to the cruise)

Here's the link, if you'd like to follow along:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

Happy to answer any more questions.

Robin

That is a very interesting and helpful reply Robin. I'm going to have a look at your thread. Thanks,

Roger

CleverScubaCruiser,

thank you for referring to my posts. :)

Llandudno Lad,

hello to Wales! :) To give you an idea of water levels in Summer you could have a look at the thread Rhine water levels ... 2016. But the CC people appreciated the thread so much I could not resist and have started one for this year. :D

In general for water levels and heat it is best to go mid-June to mid-July, hardly risk of flooding or drought. There can be a heat wave, though, which makes excursions in towns a little unpleasant. Holidays are staggered, so you get school children/families from end of June to end of August. Good of gnome12 to point out the bussing for excursions. If you have problems walking the Marksburg castle - a highlight on a Rhine cruise - is difficult to manage. The ports are sometimes not in the town centre and you are not close to the sights. You may want to check this with several cruise lines, compare the ports and the info the line gives and then ask away in the river cruise ports section for specifics.

On my cruise on the Danube there was a older gentleman who stayed on the ship more or less the whole time. It is of course possible, but you miss out on so much. Not to mention that you may have paid for an included excursion that you cannot take part in.

I hope you find the right cruise line for you, plenty of choices out there.

notamermaid

CleverScubaCruiser,

Llandudno Lad,

hello to Wales! :) To give you an idea of water levels in Summer you could have a look at the thread Rhine water levels ... 2016. But the CC people appreciated the thread so much I could not resist and have started one for this year. :D

In general for water levels and heat it is best to go mid-June to mid-July, hardly risk of flooding or drought. There can be a heat wave, though, which makes excursions in towns a little unpleasant. Holidays are staggered, so you get school children/families from end of June to end of August. Good of gnome12 to point out the bussing for excursions. If you have problems walking the Marksburg castle - a highlight on a Rhine cruise - is difficult to manage. The ports are sometimes not in the town centre and you are not close to the sights. You may want to check this with several cruise lines, compare the ports and the info the line gives and then ask away in the river cruise ports section for specifics.

On my cruise on the Danube there was a older gentleman who stayed on the ship more or less the whole time. It is of course possible, but you miss out on so much. Not to mention that you may have paid for an included excursion that you cannot take part in.

notamermaid

Hi notamermaid,

(good guess about Wales, although it could have been South Africa!).

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. It sounds as if my proposed plans for a trip in July are a good bet. I will have a look at your water level thread. You are right, the Gnome was very helpful in pointing out that walking was necessary for excursions, it's something a lot of people wouldn't realise.

I am amazed at how many helpful people there are out there on Cruise Critic, thank you all, enjoy your trips.

Roger

Lulandudno, if you are interested, most cruises have a "slow" walkers group, so you can walk at a slower pace. I've heard it's great if you are into taking pics as well, so guess where I'll be. From what I hear, you do see everything the regular walkers see, but less time for shopping, which won't bother us. I would do a search on this forum for Rhine cruises, and you will probably find lots of reviews/ write up's as to what various lines include for the land parts. Sometimes some of the ships dock further out of town ( due to size or number of vessels at the docks) so that is when the bus part will come in, as well as visiting some of the included excursions. I have not heard of any complaints about the staff not doing what they can to accommodate the passengers however they can, even getting cabs to get over busy streets.

One other thing you should realise is that ships will "raft" together, so sometimes you have to climb up and over other ships.

We also saved our pennies for our cruise next year - our 30th. I hope you enjoy yours, and congrats on such a big celebration!

I want you to be aware that river cruising isn't really about the cruise experience; it is about the places that you will visit. Except for particularly scenic parts (the Castles of the Rhine for example) most cruising is done at night not during the day. If you stay on board when others are on excursions, you will either stay put the whole time (with maybe some rearranging of ships if you are rafting) or you will continue on to meet up with the people that went on the excursion in a different spot.

I read once that river cruising developed not from ocean cruising but from land tours; as a way to take your hotel with you and not have to deal with packing and unpacking in each place. To me, that is the lure; river cruising is a way to simplify seeing the sights without the hassle.

Hi Bill and Luwana,

Thanks for your good advice, I will try what you suggest. We are hoping that July will be ok. We will be quite happy enjoying the cruise and seeing the scenery without going on long coach trips or extended walks.

Thanks again,

Roger

On the Rhine, much of the cruising happens at night except for 1 day of scenic cruising. Otherwise you will wake up docked or will very soon be docked so it's possible there will be very little "cruisng" to enjoy. Some ships will dock in an area that is easily walkable either on your own or with an excursion. Many cruise lines include at least some excursions in the price so if you mostly stay on the ship you're not getting a good value.

For a cruise with more daytime scenic cruising and lovely riverside towns you might consider a Rhine and Moselle itinerary. The Moselle is the most beautiful river I've ever seen and the towns are very charming.

Thanks,

Roger & Chris

can sympathise with you concern to cruise rather than bus travel. as others have said there are no guarantees re water issues, however read about how different operators deal with problems. that may guide your choices.

the Rhine is a beautiful place to visit.

We did "Castles of the Rhine" on the Uniworld SS Antoinette. From the standpoint of tours, there is a ton of walking. They take you on a bus somewhere and then you walk and walk and walk. However, there are "Gentle tours" for those who walk slower. One of our fellow cruisers was 94 year old Phillip and he did stay onboard the ship. The SS Antoinette has a movie theater, spa, and indoor pool. They also set out tea every afternoon. So, the SS Antoinette does have a few things to do if you decide to stay onboard and, of course, there is nothing wrong with reading a good book. Mostly the ship is parked but in some areas, it will move down river while most cruisers are off the ship on tours. Anyway, you might want to check out the various river cruise ships in detail to see what amenities they offer onboard before making a final decision on your river cruise ship. I know some have elevators, others do not, there are many variations.

More 50th celebrators here. We have booked AMA because their ships have a shallower draught. We were worried about this expensive cruise turning into a bus tour also. However, it looks like there has been less snow this year and we will not be troubled by flooding. We sail Jun 1 Budapest to Amsterdam. Just did our check-in and it is starting to get real.

Really appreciate Robin's posts and also those of notamermaid.

CleverScubaCruiser,

Llandudno Lad,

notamermaid

I have to thank you for all your help with water levels - I read every post hoping to pick a good time for our Rhine cruise. We selected the last week in August (26th) because there is a price jump in Sept. It was hot in Amsterdam and surprisingly warm in Lucerne, but we had perfect weather otherwise and NO water issues! Thanks again for all you do!

Now I have to pick a time for a Danube cruise :)

I read once that river cruising developed not from ocean cruising but from land tours; as a way to take your hotel with you and not have to deal with packing and unpacking in each place. To me, that is the lure; river cruising is a way to simplify seeing the sights without the hassle.

That's what I liked as well - no packing & unpacking! But I did enjoy the river experience as well - watching all the boats go by, seeing the towns and villages we passed, going through the locks, seeing swans come up to the ship or swim on by, birds roosting on the rocks, cows and horses just hanging out in the river. I'm a water person - put me on or near the water, and I'm euphoric :D:hearteyes: