Cheers: I just did the Math. Thank you Carnival!

bobbismith

I can't decide for our 7 day fascination out of San Juan, 6 port days if cheers is "worth it". Dh drinks I do not. So the obvious answer seems no its not worth it. However usually we do bon voyage and I get him makers mark, he prefers Woodford reserve. He does beer by the bottle when not drinking bourbon. I only drink water usually with an occasional Virgin fruit smoothie. Bon voyage does not longer offer makers mark, only jack Daniels which is not happening for him. So I'm not sure what the cost of Woodford would be per drink.... I realize beer only it takes more to break even, he also drink soda , I do not. I'm just thinking beer during the day a few bourbon drinks in the evening, bottle water for me, soda for him, my occasional Virgin drink, would were get our 800.00 worth? Or just buy per drink and come out no more than 800? Anyone know the cost of Woodford neat?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

One thing I think is overlooked is that while in the "normal world" yes anything more then 5 drinks a day "SEEMS" excessive and I agree...when you are by the pool, having fun and on vacation, 5 drinks can go down a lot easier and quicker then you can ever imagine...on our cruise last month based on 20 years of drinking experience I truly believed we would break even but reality was we drank 3xs more then I thought...and got our moneys worth out of the package...plus I would say when you have already paid for the package and each drink cost is less relevant you relax more and probably drink more then you might anticipate....

I do thinks its wrong for those who may be sharing a room with an AA member or a non drinker that should have no barring what so ever on other peoples drink packages....I understand the reasoning but frankly if someone wants to cheat the system who they share a room with doesn't really come into play...

Hate to highjack and I guess I am dumb, but where and what are the discounted gift cards?
Verizon, Allstate, AARP, Citicards.....do a search and you'll find plenty of threads. You need to be a customer with Verizon and Citicards.

This!:p
If you're in agreement with the person who is upset that they'll be off the ship all day in port and they will not get their monies worth....how does this sound. You get up and enjoy an espresso, or iced frappacino or whatever from the coffee bar. Then you also get 2 small bottles of water each, 5 minutes apart to take ashore. Then you enjoy you day in port and don't drink any beer because you have an open bar waiting for you once you get back on board at 400 pm and you still have 8 hours to drink before you crash at midnight. If you drink high end stuff, you need to drink 5 over 8 hours. Beers would be one per hour. A beer and a shot would be one each every two hours.

You need to look at the big picture. Too many people concentrate on 15 drinks or not being able to use the program on a port day like they can on a sea day.

In the end, it really doesn't matter because those that can grasp the nuances of the program and the perceived value it has to them will come out ahead in the long run.

If you're in agreement with the person who is upset that they'll be off the ship all day in port and they will not get their monies worth....how does this sound. You get up and enjoy an espresso, or iced frappacino or whatever from the coffee bar. Then you also get 2 small bottles of water each, 5 minutes apart to take ashore. Then you enjoy you day in port and don't drink any beer because you have an open bar waiting for you once you get back on board at 400 pm and you still have 8 hours to drink before you crash at midnight. If you drink high end stuff, you need to drink 5 over 8 hours. Beers would be one per hour. A beer and a shot would be one each every two hours.

You need to look at the big picture. Too many people concentrate on 15 drinks or not being able to use the program on a port day like they can on a sea day.

In the end, it really doesn't matter because those that can grasp the nuances of the program and the perceived value it has to them will come out ahead in the long run.

Excellent! Way too many people focus on the 15 drink limit! Even with many port days your example of 4 p.m -midnight having 1 drink an hour makes all the sense in the world.

Many can't just seem to see the Big Picture!

Someone posted a spreadsheet to use in one of these posts and I downloaded it last week. I modified it with what I think are updated prices but some are in question, changed it some to meet my specific tastes and the wife. I can update the price on the ship for a more accurate reporting of cost without the cheers program. Either way I have done some simulations and it will pay off for us. The wife may or may not break even but I feel confident I will pay for mine and almost pay for hers.

Someone posted a spreadsheet to use in one of these posts and I downloaded it last week. I modified it with what I think are updated prices but some are in question, changed it some to meet my specific tastes and the wife. I can update the price on the ship for a more accurate reporting of cost without the cheers program. Either way I have done some simulations and it will pay off for us. The wife may or may not break even but I feel confident I will pay for mine and almost pay for hers.

Will you share your updated sheets? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

I do not have MS Excel as I use OpenOffice but I saved it in Excel format but unable to check it for editing. Here is the XLS File

If you have OpenOffice like I do then here is the OTS File

Sheet 2 is my grouping of drinks I plan on drinking but you can add or delete them to suit your tastes. Think of it as a quick reference guide of where to add the drink on Sheet 1. Again the prices may not all be accurate as I have culled them from many sources but I will update it when I get on the ship next Sunday with current prices.The wife side is not as adventurous as my side but can be easily mirrored or modified.

We've been down this road before. You don't have to "Booze it up" for it to be worthwhile. Not even close. If you drink nothing but frozen drinks (so no soda, no specialty coffee, no milkshakes, no bottled water, no energy drinks or whatever else I'm missing), then it takes 5 a day to break even. How is that "boozing it up"? It's not. That's not even getting a buzz! Add anything else to the mix, then you can come out even more ahead. You can also get your money's worth by substituting alcoholic drinks for other drinks as well. It's not all about being a lush.

Thank you!! I get my Diet Coke every morning, several bottled waters during the day and foo foo drinks. On our last cruise, I think I saved at least $20 a day, even on port days, getting the Cheers Program. And I am far from a "lush"-- I just enjoy a few BBCs and Miami Vices when I am cruising the Caribbean. :cool:

On our last cruise, I think I saved at least $20 a day, even on port days, getting the Cheers Program.
Are you sure about that? Many posters on this and other threads think that it's impossible to come out ahead on a port day, since they will be gone " all day". (Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Are you sure about that? Many posters on this and other threads think that it's impossible to come out ahead on a port day, since they will be gone " all day". (Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We are not heavy drinker and we come out ahead on port days due to the price at the Alchemy bar, eaters, power aids and coffees.

We are not heavy drinker and we come out ahead on port days due to the price at the Alchemy bar, eaters, power aids and coffees.
I'm glad that you see the value of the program, even on port days. Many people that have posted on this and other threads do not, that is why I posted what I did with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Even without the gravy of water, power aid and coffee, all you need to do is consume 5 drinks from Alchemy or 8 beers over an 8 hour period from 4-12 on a port day to break even.

Some people see the big picture, while others are myopic.

I'm glad that you see the value of the program, even on port days. Many people that have posted on this and other threads do not, that is why I posted what I did with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Even without the gravy of water, power aid and coffee, all you need to do is consume 5 drinks from Alchemy or 8 beers over an 8 hour period from 4-12 on a port day to break even.

Some people see the big picture, while others are myopic.

It definitely has value, and I can see why so many love the program. My husband would do just fine with this and easily get his money's worth on all 8 days of our upcoming cruise. However, I think I'd do ok for the first 3-4 days, then I'd need a few days off. I only ever drink water, no pop, no coffee, etc. So on the days I don't feel like drinking, I'd have to consume a whole lot of water to get my money's worth. I wish they'd come up with a new level of Cheers, a 3/4 day package. $50 dayfor the week, and $30 day for 3 days. I think it would be a great seller.

It definitely has value, and I can see why so many love the program. My husband would do just fine with this and easily get his money's worth on all 8 days of our upcoming cruise. However, I think I'd do ok for the first 3-4 days, then I'd need a few days off. I only ever drink water, no pop, no coffee, etc. So on the days I don't feel like drinking, I'd have to consume a whole lot of water to get my money's worth. I wish they'd come up with a new level of Cheers, a 3/4 day package. $50 dayfor the week, and $30 day for 3 days. I think it would be a great seller.
The other options would be to cruise on those lines that do not require both occupants of the cabin to participate in the program, or, better yet, go on the NCL Escape and choose their drink package as one of your perks. The only problem with their package is that it does not include bottled water or espresso based coffee drinks.

An added bonus would be if Carnival would let you buy the Cheers package as part of your cruise fair , then you could make monthly payments.

The 900.00 ( 8 day cruise) payment upfront does take a little more planning and is more of a "sticker" shock.

You can always buy gift cards a few at a time, or buy cruise cash, then use those to pay off Cheers. Kind of like a payment plan.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

Cruise cash has a maximum of 500.00 ( have to check if that is per person or max for cabin.

Plus I believe you have to use that onboard, can't use for prepurchase. Then you pay 5.00 more per day for the Cheers .

LOL I've been researching for the "best" way.