Cheers: I just did the Math. Thank you Carnival!

bobbismith

So you are saying because it doesn't include water or specialty coffee, the "free" alcohol package is not worth it? It's FREE! Carnival can't even offer the soda package with the purchase of a cruise. NCL offers all the top shelf alcohol you can drink (with no 15 drink limit) and three nights in a specialty restaurant. That is at least $500 value.

Nothing is free.

If you price check a NCL guarantee fare which comes with no perks to a fare that does it us usually several hundred dollars higher for the same category. After you pay your gratuities up front the total price is usually no different than the Carnival fare with Cheers added.

Our last two cruises were on Carnival because it was the cheapest even with adding Cheers and that was on same week, similar ship, similar itinerary comparisons. The two before that were on NCL which was significantly cheaper when their perk program first came out.

Cruise A....$900 with 'free' drinks

Cruise B....$400 + $350 for drinks

Nothing is free.

If you price check a NCL guarantee fare which comes with no perks to a fare that does it us usually several hundred dollars higher for the same category. After you pay your gratuities up front the total price is usually no different than the Carnival fare with Cheers added.

Our last two cruises were on Carnival because it was the cheapest even with adding Cheers and that was on same week, similar ship, similar itinerary comparisons. The two before that were on NCL which was significantly cheaper when their perk program first came out.

Nor true at all! When we booked our cruise the inside guarantee was the exact same price as the price where u select a cabin. Granted the guarantee is usually a couple hundred cheaper, but if you book at certain times, you can get the free at sea perks for the same price as a guarantee cabin. Not all the time, I agree, you have to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing is free.

This is one of those things that varies so much cruise to cruise and week to week. Agree it's not hands down either way... but if you like to have drinks included in your price then you have to add $50 pp pd to the carnival price... so when a carnival cruise comes out to $60 pp pd and the NCL one comes out to $90; it's still a better deal.

My next cruise is in April and I'm paying the same pp pd price on a celebrity cruise with included drinks as the carnival cruise plus cheers... carnival is definitely going to have trouble competing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One more question about Cheers. We might have a friend cruising with us solo. We realize he will have to pay double, but if he orders Cheers, it's not a double charge is it? Seems like it's not logical, but hey, you never know!

Nothing is free.

One more example, I have the Breakaway and Vista booked for March and June of this year. Both balconies with the Breakaway being 7 day and Vista being 8 day

Breakaway- $799 base fare /7 days = $114 a day

Vista - $1644 base fare/8 days = $208 a day

These are both mega ships, with the Vista being newer. But the Vista cruise we have booked does not include our alcohol or any specialty dining. The Breakaway has both of those perks included (3 nights dining). Breakaway also had a promotion with 100 minutes free internet, $50 per cabin slot play and photo package with 10 free ship photos.

After adding $50 a day for Cheers, the Vista will be $258 a day, then we have to still shell out for specialty dining. Just my next two cruises compared side by side.

Edited by ksmcdonald

I hate the cheers program my wife and I always find a group to hang out with and you cannot buy a round for the whole group if you are on the cheers program

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can buy rounds!!! We do every single time as long as you have not maxed out your 15 for the day. I always say "I'd like to buy my friends a round" as they charge me 1 towards my drink package and I pay for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just my next two cruises compared side by side.

If you're going to compare ship's and costs, you need to compare apples to apples. The Vista is brand new, 8 days during the summer versus a 6 year old ship, 7 days during the spring. And all of the peripheral amenities you're getting is to spur traffic because of slow sales. Carnival and RCI do ok on their own and they do not have to include drinks packages, unlike NCL.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If you're going to compare ship's and costs, you need to compare apples to apples. The Vista is brand new, 8 days during the summer versus a 6 year old ship, 7 days during the spring. And all of the peripheral amenities you're getting is to spur traffic because of slow sales. Carnival and RCI do ok on their own and they do not have to include drinks packages, unlike NCL.

Yeah I was thinking it was like comparing JCPenny with Nordstrom. Just not comparable even though theyre both department stores.

After sailing Breakaway I can see why NCL has to offer what they are. Still not enough to get my business on that ship again.

The Breakaway is only four years old, by no means and old ship. And I did break it down by the cost per day, so the 8 day vs 7 day doesn't matter. It's the price per day. And just to be clear, we cruised on the Breakaway last June (1st week) as well and paid the same as this March cruise we are going on in two weeks. March is spring break and the prices for all these cruises (Carnival and NCL) are higher in March/April than the 1st week of June. My Vista cruise is 1st week of June, not end of June or July when the prices climb even more.

So yes, I am comparing apples to apples. Im just saying Carnival could at least throw in a soda package or one night specialty dining. Mark my words, they will be adding some of these perks in the near future. If they don't stay competitive, they will be left in the dust!

Edited by ksmcdonald

Gonna practice making the Achlemy Bar Deal Closer tonight. Just want to make sure I like it🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓![/q

How was it??

Very good , taste's like a fudge bar with a kick!

Tried it with both vodka and then white rum.

NCL May 2018 7 days ( Getaway) 2,600 includes drinks and 3 specialty dining.

Carnival May 2018 8 days ( Vista) 3,300 No drinks , no specialty dining. Add in Cheers approx 900.00

Newer ship shouldn't equate to 1,600 more for the 1 day.

I get jerseygirls point.

Not any more. When the program first began, it was an option, but it has been changed to every day of the cruise. The only exceptions to this are cruises that embark from Texas and New York. Because of quirky state laws, Cheers begins at 600 am on day two. So if your cruise goes out of Galveston or NYC, you're in luck.

Just got off the Miracle on Saturday and cheers was indeed available on day one or two. If you buy it on day two you paid for six days, but at the higher $54.95 price which negates most of the savings for getting on day two as opposed to purchasing before you board on the website.

Very good , taste's like a fudge bar with a kick!

Tried it with both vodka and then white rum.

Glad you had a good night with your drink! I am going to make a Toasted Almond later. Never had one, but I have been INTRIGUED lol. Bought Kahlua and Amaretto this afternoon. CHEERS!

Just got off the Miracle on Saturday and cheers was indeed available on day one or two. If you buy it on day two you paid for six days, but at the higher $54.95 price which negates most of the savings for getting on day two as opposed to purchasing before you board on the website.

Miracle doesn't sail from TX or NY, so you can buy it before hand. I am wondering if we can still purchase it before for the reduced price, but it just won't be valid until the lst full day. We are sailing from Manhattan.

We've been down this road before. You don't have to "Booze it up" for it to be worthwhile. Not even close. If you drink nothing but frozen drinks (so no soda, no specialty coffee, no milkshakes, no bottled water, no energy drinks or whatever else I'm missing), then it takes 5 a day to break even. How is that "boozing it up"? It's not. That's not even getting a buzz! Add anything else to the mix, then you can come out even more ahead. You can also get your money's worth by substituting alcoholic drinks for other drinks as well. It's not all about being a lush.

Exactly..... Just a couple drinks at normal prices makes it worth while.

Mark my words, they will be adding some of these perks in the near future. If they don't stay competitive, they will be left in the dust!

Carnival and RCI are both staying very competitive and neither of them need to add drinks packages to sell cabins. Each of those lines have their niche and have been very successful in what they do.

Miracle doesn't sail from TX or NY, so you can buy it before hand. I am wondering if we can still purchase it before for the reduced price, but it just won't be valid until the lst full day. We are sailing from Manhattan.

I'm not sure why Carnival says it can't sell drink packages departing from NY because of state laws when NCL can sell them but you're charged for the sales tax on each drink while in port. Maybe Carnival doesn't want to adjust their POS system to charge tax only to customers on drink packages?

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to purchase it in advance.

So yes, I am comparing apples to apples.

If you were comparing apples to apples, then it would the Vista versus the Escape, which is the newest in NCLs fleet. I know for a fact you can't get a balcony for 799 on that ship at any time of year. Carnival must be doing something right if they were able to get you to drop a substantially more amount of money comparing the two ships that you yourself say are apples to apples.

I'm not sure why Carnival says it can't sell drink packages departing from NY because of state laws when NCL can sell them but you're charged for the sales tax on each drink while in port. Maybe Carnival doesn't want to adjust their POS system to charge tax only to customers on drink packages?

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to purchase it in advance.

Okay, this is what I was wondering. If you order Cheers in advance it is $5 cheaper than if you order it on the ship. For 6 days (a week cruise out of NY or TX) that is $30/pp, $60/couple. So it's not peanuts! So can I order it at the "reduced rate" before the cruise, but it won't be valid until the lst full day?

Okay, this is what I was wondering. If you order Cheers in advance it is $5 cheaper than if you order it on the ship. For 6 days (a week cruise out of NY or TX) that is $30/pp, $60/couple. So it's not peanuts! So can I order it at the "reduced rate" before the cruise, but it won't be valid until the lst full day?

Hopefully someone who has sailed out of NY on Carnival with a prepurchased drink package will confirm but I'd say if the system lets you purchase it online in advance then they'd honor that price and it would begin on the day they say it can begin. Just make sure it charges you for the right amount of nights.

Out of Galveston I purchased my cheers online ahead of time. They just charge your for 6 days instead of 7 at the lower rate. Then it doesn't go into effect until day 2. Day 1 is a good time to take advantage of that bottle of wine you can bring on and the free bottle of water they give you.