Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Back in the 90s when DD outgrew her black combat boots, I decided I could wear them. I did. Wore them out in public with a three-tiered maxi broomstick skirt. DH had a fit. Said I looked ridiculous. I still remember that outfit. I thought it looked great. I still do. He's a very traditional dresser.

Sorry, Pam, but I agree with Anita. I think gladiator sandals are great looking on everyone. I couldn't take them on a cruise because my feet swell so much. I would wear very short wedge sandals with minimal straps though--my summer go-to shoe.

I got some Yellow Box gladiator sandals that are made of a stretch material. I packed them before I took a picture. My DH is pretty traditional also, but he loves him some Tommy Bahama shirts [emoji6]. Total of snow so far is 11", but it's supposed to snow all night. MelodyImageUploadedByForums1460850634.822546.jpg.3adc8289296c251df5d4b439bcb342c8.jpg

Edited by awhfy

I gave up heels also except small ones on sandals . I wear tons of maxi's and think all kinds of flats or sandals look great with them . The only time I would wear sneakers is with a denim maxi skirt . If you find the perfect hat I also need one . Something packable . I can't wait to hear all about your trip . Touring Italy is on my bucket list .

Pam, I'm with you on this one. I think there are plenty of different heel heights that work with various things, but sneakers with dresses and so forth just doesn't work for me. It could be an age thing, but my daughters are 23 and 27, and they aren't fond of the look either so that makes me feel better.

I have trouble with hats. I can't say if they look good or not, but I wear a hearing aid so it makes it almost impossible to wear them. They squeal like crazy, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in the grand scheme of things....

Best laid plans....

Shoulder shrug. Whatever.

As it turns out, you CAN weigh a suitcase wrong, especially if it has some little stabilizing structures that extend beyond the scale, rest on the floor, and distribute weight off of the scale, itself. I was living in a fantasy world when the "test pack" suitcase was weighed. So, we are burdened by quite a bit more weight than the glee that I was feeling when I thought I might be carrying around 20+ lbs and calling it good.

Suitcase #1: 30.4 lbs; Suitcase #2: 31.8 lbs.

Carry On Duffel #1: 13 lbs; Carry On Duffel #2: 12.6 lbs.

Well, I am lighter than DH in the Carry On Duffel Department. BUT, I also have a PacSafe purse hanging around my neck, so I'm actually schlepping a bit more weight. I think the PacSafe is shy of 4 lbs.

Good grief. We are carrying quite a bit of "stuff" that will diminish as the trip progresses. Is anyone else tied down to "stuff;" i.e., vitamins and EFAs and probiotics and snacks! OMG, the snacks are something I can't do without: Larabars and almonds and a snack pack of good trail mix.

<sigh>

I don't think I'll ever get a Light Packer Medal. I must live with that understanding. I thought I was doing so, so good. I have vowed that I'm going to take better notes on THIS trip (which, I admit, I've vowed to do before) so that I can really and truly determine if there's any way that I can reduce this load.

Flight out tomorrow. All suitcases lined up by the front door. Hoping for a good night's sleep. Will talk with you ladies in about a month!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Hope your summer is going well. It sure is going quickly already!

I wondered something--I am on the last of my usual blush, it's L'oreal "charming peach" powdered blush and it is no longer made :( I'll be in the market for a new blush pretty soon and wondered what some of you wear?

Look at Ulta if you have one close. I like Bare Minerals & Urban Decay & the Ulta brand is pretty good too (& lots less expensive)

Our grands arrived today for the month. Going to be busy! Yay! Melody

I agree with Melody about Ulta and BareMinerals used to be my favorite brand until my face started to look a little drier recently. I have several pots of never opened BareMinerals waiting for me to use and I hate to think that cost will be wasted, but I started to use different products a year or two ago and I thought the back-story might be interesting or beneficial to someone here.

I'm in the same boat as Kim. They've discontinued my favorite color recently and I'll be needing to locate another source for my FIRE colors.

This is going to sound strange and I'm sharing too much maybe (when has that ever stopped me here before?) but I switched from powder blush a few years ago to a creamier texture. It's called cheap tube lipstick--specifically NYC brand. When I realized that it was taking entirely too much time to apply my mineral makeup because it was beginning to look a little chalky on my skin, I explored other options and tried a chubby stick. If it is good for cheeks, lids, and lips, why wouldn't the right shade of lipstick work as well? Some brands are dirt cheap.

I have been using NYC Coralista for my lips and cheeks. It is a darker coral color; almost a coral red. NYC Peach Fizz is a lighter color with shimmer that I use on my eyes. I use either color separately or layered together on my lips. I have one more tube of each color and will need to look for a different option. With daily use, I expect to be looking for something around the first of the year. Maybe by January, they will reintroduce lipstick in our FIRE colors. What is it about makeup that they can’t leave well enough alone? Like everyone alive would rather wear brown lipstick than put a little color on their face? I don’t need to get started ranting, but it would be so easy to do about makeup.

I use whatever cheap mascara I can find in a brown/black color because my eyelashes are naturally that exact shade. The only other item I use is NYC City Proof 24 Hr. Eye Shadow stick in Tribeca Taupe. I use it as an eyeliner because I never could master the smudgy line. A little of the stick on my lashline gives me exactly what I like. Who knows, they may have discontinued this color also, because I haven’t looked recently. I have one stick in my purse and one for my makeup clutch at home.

To say I have a 5 minute makeup routine is an overstatement. Most days it takes me longer to find the items in the bottom of my purse than it does to apply. Two stoplights and I’m looking as good as it’s going to get for the day.

I seldom wear anything other than tinted moisturizer & eye makeup (don't go out without my eyes [emoji6]). Hmm, lipstick for blush, I have too heavy a hand, I'd look like an emoji!

First of all--Debbie, you crack me up! You are too funny :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the brands and types of blush Debbie and Melody. I do have to wear powder because my skin is quite oily, so stick blush wouldn't work. I think I'll go to Ulta and see what they have in their brand. I like it that they have testers there so that you can see before you buy.

If anyone else has any ideas or specific color names they use, please pass it along. I'm gonna miss my L'Oreal Charmed Peach :(

CJW is who suggested that to me when he diagnosed me as a FIRE. Miss his posts and opinions!

I use Clinique Blushing Blush Powder Blush in 107/Sunset Glow. A little goes a long way, but you can also put on a bit more to get the effect of a bronzer.

It's challenging to find a peach that isn't too orangey. For a lot of us EARTH girls they tend to be too bright, also. Believe it or not, the Sonia Kashuk line at Target has a really nice selection of powder blushes. My favorite one of all time was a SK but they discontinued the color. :(

In the 80's I had a very involved beauty routine, but now I have a 5-minute face. I tried the mineral makeups but they made me break out.

Edited by MJC

I think I'm one of the few here that doesn't wear make up. :o Well...I will put some on for some special occasions...

I do know though that Sephora stores also have testers all over the place. Sometimes Sephora is in JCPenny in addition to ones in the mall...so if you want to play, I recommend going there, too. You can make an appt I think to have a tech help you play, too.

Melody...I always feel like a clown in makeup, well, makeup during the day...your emoji comment cracked me up!

Debbie...tell me you don't put makeup on in the car! OMG...we were driving behind this annoying, swerving, speeding up and slowing down car and when we could finally pass it...the woman was putting on her makeup...literally...mascara going on while driving on the highway. In Atlanta. Suicide cosmetic mission, anyone? :cool:

Lands sakes alive, Ladies, I'd never go down the road putting on makeup! Sandwiched between my legal secretarial careers, work-life while my kids were growing up (18 yrs.) was rural mail carrier where delivering mail and multi-tasking while driving was the name of that game. However, I don't text while driving and consider myself an attentive driver. Putting on makeup while sitting at a stoplight is a total different animal in my book. In fact, it's a game for me. I try to see if I can do my complete face during one light. If I don't finish before the light turns green and traffic starts moving again, I can always put it on in the office parking lot.

Anita, I've been known to wait to put on my makeup until I leave the office to meet DH for lunch, so I don't consider makeup a daily must either. I do wear it almost daily because it helps with the dry/oily places of my skin. One of the greatest things about finally feeling confident about my color choices was when the dark eye circles just naturally disappeared and I could feel better in my own skin. Just. My. Skin. The natural colors that appear in my skin, hair and eyes are repeated and enhanced with the little bit of makeup that I use. When I use it.

As always, YMMV, Ladies.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

We have fallen waaaaay too far down the pages! Where is everyone and what are you up to?

Hasn't the summer gone way too fast? Where does the time go?

We went to New England and just got back a couple of weeks ago. It was such a BEAUTIFUL part of our country! We loved it. We also ate our weight in lobster. I think I had it 6 out of our 14 night trip :eek: We found the groceries in the area will cook it for no charge and the cost was so much less than a nice restaurant. Although, eating at a picnic table with paper plates may not be everyone's idea of a fantastic meal but, for us it was heaven on earth!

We:

-flew into Boston, rented a car, drove to Salem, MA and saw some of the historical witch things

-went on a whale watch in Gloucester, MA

-spent 4 nights in Bar Harbor, ME exploring Acadia National Park

-3 nights in the White Mountains in New Hampshire

-2 nights driving north to south on highway 100 in Vermont

-ended with 3 nights on Cape Cod

-drove back to Boston for our flight home

I don't have any real pictodiary fashion photos but, I will share what I have. I don't think I have many fantastic photos like our Africa ones--the New England landscapes are so beautiful but, I don't have the skills or camera to really capture them. I did what I could though :)

Here's a link to the New England photos if you're interested, I don't have them labeled yet (click on the link--click on the first photo and it will enlarge--then click on slideshow to scroll through them):

https://goo.gl/photos/WTXnsHHbKsPwxQYg9

Let's catch up here, it has been too quiet for too long.

Ahhh, Kim. Such a grand adventure you had! Thanks for sharing. I can tell that Jerry has been practicing his smile for the camera. Great job, Jerry!

Our next trip is a return to the TN/NC area in October. I doubt that we'll travel anywhere new and interesting, but if we do, I'll try to take a few pictures to share.

The EARTH ladies have been chatting and sharing gorgeous fashionable items, but I've had nothing new to add to the conversation because I've been trying to shop my closet and wear out a few old things before purchasing new things. My plan was working very well, until I received that 80% off email from Sierra Trading and spent today's morning free time filling up my shopping cart. I'll try to remember to post the winners and losers after my order arrives.

All in one 24-hour period of time last week, I managed to trash one top, one pair of white jean shorts and one pair of huaraches. I replaced the shoes because they are a summer staple for me. The shorts won't be replaced because I purchased a pair of white stretch jean capris at the beginning of spring this year and I like them better. They are a longer capri-length that can be cuffed up to just below my knee if I want. The top developed tiny pin-holes in several places. It wasn't a terribly expensive knit top, but it hadn't been worn nearly enough times to expect it to disintegrate while I was wearing it. I despise the new tissue weight material manufacturers are using. If it doesn't ball up and need a shave job, it disintegrates before my very eyes. I refuse to play this game and will purchase only merino, cashmere, silk and linen tops in the future. I'm expecting my wardrobe to become very minimalist-looking. From what I've been seeing online in the styles that I like, I won't be able to afford to buy anything unless it is on super sale.

What's everyone else up to this summer?

Hi all, I'm on a road trip right now in New England.

We got up on 1 Aug & decided we needed lobster rolls so we jumped in the car in Colorado & drove out. We'll be back around 30 Aug. ImageUploadedByForums1470914159.865170.jpg.62d98f2abcae4b3c1c69cdca6c5c2b6c.jpgim in the tropical lime top. Melody

ImageUploadedByForums1470914128.067926.jpg.df1f77fd32baf20117045015b22dea8a.jpg

Debbie, ha, smiling for the camera, we know how that can go, don't we?????

I haven 't gotten anything new in a while. I have to wait for the deep clearance sales ;) I haven't really seen much that has caught my eye lately either.

I would love to see photos of your fall trip! Please post.

Melody, have a fun trip.

• 1 month later...

Wassap?

Awful quiet over here. Just dropped in to say hi.

I think it was Debbie who started the 12 season conversation? I just have to say that it changed yet again how I shop for clothes. The extra insight has been a lot of fun and improved my wardrobe choices quite a bit.

On the EARTH board we are happy that it's fall because all our favorite colors are out!

Same here, Margaret. It has definitely helped me to shop better.

I love vacation photos too, so please share. That reminds me...I did take a few in Ithaca so I should post them.

Hope everyone is well!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk