Hubbard Glacier Day

Planning is Half the Fun

The first day of my first Alaskan cruise will be spent at Hubbard Glacier from 3 until 8pm. Can anyone tell me what this day will be like? Any particular places to look for wildlife? Will there be things to see prior to 3pm? Does a ranger come on board like at glacier bay?

To expand the question,

We're doing Whittier, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Junea, Ketchican, scenic cruising day, and then arrive at Vancouver. On the map, it looks like we're hugging the coastline. Will there always be "something to see?" Any advice for specific places to keep our eyes open?

Our trip is at the end of August.

No ranger. Your naturalist will likely narrate or you might pick up a Native interpreter, depending on cruise line. Hubbard is amazing - seven miles wide. Unfortunately the weather can be uncooperative. You enter Yakutat Bay after picking up the pilots. The bay gets narrower until you get to Hubbard at the end. Look for bears on shore and seals on ice. Lots of birds. Lots of ice in the water usually. Ice and weather will dictate how close you get.

you might be interested in Joe Uptons' book " Alaska Cruise Handbook, a Mile by Mile Guide ". The book points out well known locations along the coast where you might sees whales or spot wildlife, and se places of interest.

The last few years, I haven't had good access, overall at Hubbard. Several were probably over 10 miles out.

There is a sea lion rookery, on the starboard side in Disenchantment Bay.

The last few years, I haven't had good access, overall at Hubbard. Several were probably over 10 miles out.

There is a sea lion rookery, on the starboard side in Disenchantment Bay.

10 miles is barely noticeable! We were 9 miles out and it was disappointing. Barely recognizable.

I wonder what the issue is that is keeping access to Hubbard limited?

10 miles is barely noticeable! We were 9 miles out and it was disappointing. Barely recognizable.

The easy answer is global warming.

The easy answer is global warming.

This is the glacier that is growing and advancing in spite of global warming.

In 2002 when we missed it - it was a big deal. I don't fully understand it but here is some info about it.

http://www.uas.alaska.edu/arts_sciences/naturalsciences/envs/faculty_staff/pubs/Hubbard_Glacier_poster.pdf

ABSTRACT

Hubbard Glacier is located near the community of Yakutat in southeastern Alaska. It is the largest non-

polar temperate tidewater glacier in the world and has been advancing since 1890 AD, currently at a rate of 35 m a-1. Hubbard Glacier has twice closed off Russell Fjord at Gilbert Point, creating enormous glacier dammed lakes, once in 1986 and again 2002. Both dams failed catastrophically, producing two of the largest outburst floods in historic times. Past closures were facilitated by the terminus pushing glaciomarine sediments above tidewater, thus limiting calving losses and allowing the glacier to advance rapidly across a 200-300 m gap that typically exists between Gilbert Point and the ice face. A subglacial stream deposit formed near the same location as push moraines during past dam forming events, causing concern that a new closure may occur, perhaps as early next May. Such an occurrence is of concern to local inhabitants because sustained damming of Russell Fjord will cause the lake to overflow into the Situk River, dramatically changing the landscape, creating floods, destroying fish habitats, and threatening structures. In this poster we present results of October 2007 field measurements and remote sensing investigations on the evolution of the ice-marginal deposit and provide updates on the potential for another closure of Russell Fjord.

---------

I know several have missed it due to "fog". I actually wonder how much is missed due to lack of time of Captains to properly navigate.

This is the glacier that is growing and advancing in spite of global warming.

In 2002 when we missed it - it was a big deal. I don't fully understand it but here is some info about it.

http://www.uas.alaska.edu/arts_sciences/naturalsciences/envs/faculty_staff/pubs/Hubbard_Glacier_poster.pdf

ABSTRACT

Hubbard Glacier is located near the community of Yakutat in southeastern Alaska. It is the largest non-

polar temperate tidewater glacier in the world and has been advancing since 1890 AD, currently at a rate of 35 m a-1. Hubbard Glacier has twice closed off Russell Fjord at Gilbert Point, creating enormous glacier dammed lakes, once in 1986 and again 2002. Both dams failed catastrophically, producing two of the largest outburst floods in historic times. Past closures were facilitated by the terminus pushing glaciomarine sediments above tidewater, thus limiting calving losses and allowing the glacier to advance rapidly across a 200-300 m gap that typically exists between Gilbert Point and the ice face. A subglacial stream deposit formed near the same location as push moraines during past dam forming events, causing concern that a new closure may occur, perhaps as early next May. Such an occurrence is of concern to local inhabitants because sustained damming of Russell Fjord will cause the lake to overflow into the Situk River, dramatically changing the landscape, creating floods, destroying fish habitats, and threatening structures. In this poster we present results of October 2007 field measurements and remote sensing investigations on the evolution of the ice-marginal deposit and provide updates on the potential for another closure of Russell Fjord.

---------

I know several have missed it due to "fog". I actually wonder how much is missed due to lack of time of Captains to properly navigate.

I have been to the glacier a number of times and am quite familiar with it and what you have posted. What you have missed is that there are, as I recall, 4 glaciers that make up what we refer to as Hubard Glacier. My reference to gobal warming related more to increased calving creating increased ice flow in the bay and therefore more fog conditions which have kept ships some distance from the glaciers faces. I will say each time we have been there we have got reasonably close to the glaciers.

MAIN reason?? TIME. Last several trips with Princess it was noticeable the speed was slowed down, plus my funneled inquiries, alluded to this as well. The "safety" thing, sounds good and is readily accepted, but means nothing. I have been on small tour boats- multiple times, creeping up through ice, (Columbia glacier- is the "tour", since the bergs are the size of multistory buildings) guess what- not one "safety" compromise, and I haven't heard of any ships sinking lately.

This same "excuse" happens in Tracy Arm. Going through Ice does take more time, but, 2 of my Hubbard trips in the last 2 years- ice was no where to be seen at the turnaround. In my case Princess was the worse for "success". 2 out of 2. NCL had 1 miss out of 3 these cruises were the last 2 seasons. I'll see what it is on my next 2 coming up.

MAIN reason?? TIME. Last several trips with Princess it was noticeable the speed was slowed down, plus my funneled inquiries, alluded to this as well. The "safety" thing, sounds good and is readily accepted, but means nothing. I have been on small tour boats- multiple times, creeping up through ice, (Columbia glacier- is the "tour", since the bergs are the size of multistory buildings) guess what- not one "safety" compromise, and I haven't heard of any ships sinking lately.

This same "excuse" happens in Tracy Arm. Going through Ice does take more time, but, 2 of my Hubbard trips in the last 2 years- ice was no where to be seen at the turnaround. In my case Princess was the worse for "success". 2 out of 2. NCL had 1 miss out of 3 these cruises were the last 2 seasons. I'll see what it is on my next 2 coming up.

In my experience it all boils down to the captain. At the risk of being non-PC here, Norwegian captains are the best and Italian captains (Princess) the worst. I have been with Italian captains who would turn around at the first sign of ice... I've been to glaciers hundreds of times on six different cruise lines; many times I've been on the bridge and privy to conversations between the captain and pilot. Speed is a factor, and the maneuvering capabilities of cruise ships much less than the day boats, which can turn on a dime. Cruise ships have to be more careful because unless you have azipod, you can't reverse out of a bad situation. Hubbard is a difficult glacier to get to, but one of the more spectacular ones if you get close.

In my experience it all boils down to the captain. At the risk of being non-PC here, Norwegian captains are the best and Italian captains (Princess) the worst. I have been with Italian captains who would turn around at the first sign of ice... I've been to glaciers hundreds of times on six different cruise lines; many times I've been on the bridge and privy to conversations between the captain and pilot. Speed is a factor, and the maneuvering capabilities of cruise ships much less than the day boats, which can turn on a dime. Cruise ships have to be more careful because unless you have azipod, you can't reverse out of a bad situation. Hubbard is a difficult glacier to get to, but one of the more spectacular ones if you get close.

We have missed Hubbard on RCCL/Radiance and several NCL ships. The only time we have gotten close to Hubbard is on Princess. 5x try to Hubbard 1x successful. Not sure if I would say NCL has the better Captains. Also had poor luck with NCL in Tracy Arm. Actually poor luck with Tracy Arm and most of my cruises.

I think you have to judge each Captain on their own. I had a Captain on Princess that got us very close. He definitely took his time to get there and I was quite thankful. There was another ship scheduled to go to Hubbard that day and they skipped it (other line). His ship that summer was very successful in getting to Hubbard when some other ships were not.

In addition to steerage issues when in amongst the growlers is they impact they have on the ship's bottom paint. While bottom paint is no longer the horrible "red lead" that used to used it is very expensive and difficult to re-apply between dry-dockings.

The area before the entrance to Glacier Bay is known for humpbacks, but you have to get up pretty darn early. We enjoyed the almost empty deck and saw a lot of otters and birds as well as some distant whales.

We are scheduled to cruise

3-8PM Hubbard Glacier Scenic cruising

9:15 am-7:30 PM Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising

How early would you suggest?

I can tell you it should be one of the highlights of your cruise. I wasn't expecting it to be such a delight, not even the slightest bit enthused before we got there. But I could've stayed in the bay all day long....hopefully you'll see sights such as this:

2agnnyt.png

This little mini berg was the size of a VW Bug! So impressed that this time at Sawyer Glacier we'll be doing the catamaran glacier tour so we can get even closer! Be sure and go high when you view, too many passengers up front on the decks. Fortunately we had an aft cabin and we sat and enjoyed the glacier back there for an hour as we left. So we booked another on Solstice this time! Go higher, even Sky Lounge should be great viewing, just go get your spot early!

And we were on Radiance that cruise, really pretty close IMO. Last cruise of the season.

Edited by BecciBoo

Both of my visits to Hubbard Glacier were on HAL ships. The Veendam in late July 2008 didn't even get close on a foggy day. However, ahead of us - Celebrity Millennium (I think) was parked in front of the glacier for quite awhile. When I later asked why we didn't get closer, I was told "too much ice." When I commented on the Celebrity ship getting close, I was told it was because the Celebrity ship was bigger. :rolleyes: I think our relatively new captain didn't want to challenge the captain of the Millennium to move! We had much better luck on our August 2011 Amsterdam cruise.

Both of my July trips to Hubbard glacier missed the glacier by 9 plus miles. No substitutions so that meant no glacier viewing via ship on that cruise.

I prefer Glacier Bay as it is never missed.