From John Heald

jabberjaw070596

Actually I was cruising with friends and it was their very first cruise, and it worked out perfectly. Because only those with the early time slot were in the building the lines were very short. I was able to walk over and make sure they made it through security, then I was able to check on them while they got their S&S cards. We were able to wait together. They had zone 3 and were on "for their first feeding" as someone said within 15 minutes of us.

I'm not dismissing your point. If had they been assigned a late arrival time it would have complicated matters, as we travelled in the same car.

Your last sentence always makes me laugh. Why can't priority boarders humble themselves to board with those in their party who don't have early boarding? There is absolutely nothing "complicated" about that. In fact if I was traveling with someone who insisted that they use their "Perk" when the rest of us didn't have it my opinion of said traveling companion would diminish by the minute.

I totally agree with you on every point except early boarding for platinum. Why should they lose this perk?

I'm nowhere near Platinum but this should not be taken away. They earned it. FTTF early boarding needs to go. And yes I've used it before myself but have seen people act ridiculous to get onboard because they paid for FTTF. I've never seen platinum folks create a problem over priority boarding. I have seen it more than once with FTTF.

Love the idea of the new process and will be promptly pick my check-in time as soon as I can. We will find something to do if we can't check-in right after leaving the hotel. What I won't do is go to the port early and expect to be let in early. Carnival tried for years to get people to cooperate. The mantra was "ignore the email, arrive when you want." Yeah ok, dem days be over!

Agree, this is a def. improvement to the process. Can't wait till it is deployed fleet wide. In response to an earlier poster, if you are not diamond or plat, do your check in early and you will get an early check in time.

I don't know what kind of impact letting FTTF and platinum just show up when they want will have to the boarding process. I suspect that their numbers are small enough that the impact is minimum. However, I think it would be wise to just guaranty them their preferred boarding time up to one month before sailing. This would allow Carnival to balance out remaining time slots to make sure that there isn't a heavy imbalance in any one slot. So if up to one month before, all of the Platinum and FTTF guests want the early slot, they get it. It would also mean that possibly more early slots could open up closer to sailing as they will likely have to hold back slots for those FTTF and Platinum guest that wait to the last minute to pick their slot.

Wonder what'll happen on those cruises where there are 600+ platinum and diamonds?

They base the number of FTTF tickets that are released to be bought on the number of Plat.. Diamond.. that are booked. That is why sometimes, more are released closer to sail time, when not enough Plat., etc... have booked. Otherwise it would not be a perk if 1/2 the ship was "preferred."

They base the number of FTTF tickets that are released to be bought on the number of Plat.. Diamond.. that are booked. That is why sometimes, more are released closer to sail time, when not enough Plat., etc... have booked. Otherwise it would not be a perk if 1/2 the ship was "preferred."

Not commenting on the number of FTTF just how are they going to handle staggered when there's tons of platinum and diamonds? Bloggers cruise have more than this. There was a recent journeys cruise that had about this amount.

Not commenting on the number of FTTF just how are they going to handle staggered when there's tons of platinum and diamonds? Bloggers cruise have more than this. There was a recent journeys cruise that had about this amount.

I see your point. Guess they will have to wait longer than usual. Sounds like it would be a mess!:)

I can't imagine having a late check in time while sailing out of Baltimore. If the hotel tells you to be out by 11am, and your check in time at the port is 2pm, you're just supposed to sit in the snow in the parking lot for 3 hours? There is nothing anywhere near the port, and most hotel shuttles only run until check out time. This might be great for ports where there is something tourist related nearby, but an industrial port?

I th k this is a great idea and see this a win / win

The only time I feel the crowds is during Boarding up to the rooms are ready

Luggage and in the past case or water, soda and sorts of stuff and people tearing into food with a vengeance !

I have been platinum for a long time and I used to board at 2 -230 just to avoid it. Before the room being ready at board time I would just stay local find a sleep in late , find a brunch or a Bloody Mary. Drinks much cheaper

This new way less crowds , more room and CCL serves less food to the stampede

I'm not thrilled with this, as someone who often can't book early (work, school and extracurricular schedules; husband who thinks I'm insane if I plan a trip six months ahead) + gets to the port early most of the time + loves the first couple hours of a cruise when the hot tubs are not shoulder to shoulder + has kids who don't want to eat lunch at 2 p.m. + has never seen any problems with the boarding process in any port including Galveston and refuses to buy FTTF.

I'm nervous to see what times are available a few months out once this has been around for awhile and everyone is notified to choose a time as soon as they book. Maybe average cruisers will still procrastinate?

My parents, experienced cruisers on many different cruise lines, think enforced staggered check-in sounds awful. I don't think it will help convince them to take an extended family cruise on Carnival. :rolleyes:

There are so many unpredictable variables regarding arrival time that I just don't see how this will be more efficient. When we drove to Galveston we arrived an hour earlier than we expected. When we drove to Miami, we were more than an hour later than we expected. I don't think I've taken a flight in recent years that didn't have at least one change after I booked. Not to mention the unpredictability of shuttles.

There are so many unpredictable variables regarding arrival time that I just don't see how this will be more efficient.

It just amazes me that checking in at a cruise pier is deemed the one part of cruise day that HAS TO BE FLEXIBLE because everything else is so unpredictable. Why should the Cruise boarding be the one thing that people feel shouldn't be "scheduled". Hotels have somewhat inflexible hours that people are more than happy to accommodate into their schedule, airlines have restricted times, independent shore transportation has a schedule....arrive early and you have to wait. Parking lots open on their time frames, they won't let you in before the earlier cruise has vacated a good portion of the lot.

People who drive into a port feel that the cruise line should be open so they can leave home early just to counter balance any irregularities in driving time.

Since the "cruise" is the vacation shouldn't they be able to set times according to what is best for the cruise not what is most convenient after all the peripheral "getting" to the pier is taken into consideration. It's like demanding that Disneyland open its gates long before the park is ready just to accommodate peeps who want to be first in line.

Want to get somewhere "early". Then sit in your car, or sit on your suitcases on the sidewalk, or wait at the airport, or sit in the lobby of your hotel. And if the shuttles stop running then take a cab or book another hotel. And if you want a guaranteed early check in then book early...if you want to wait until the last minute than be happy with the left-over times. Its simple, really. Why is all this the cruiselines' problem.

It's like demanding that Disneyland open its gates long before the park is ready just to accommodate peeps who want to be first in line.

I don't want the terminal to open earlier than they're ready to open, I just want it to be open the same time for everyone, except those who have special needs or perhaps platinum cruisers. Those who arrive first are served first. That sounds most efficient to me.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I don't want the terminal to open earlier than they're ready to open, I just want it to be open the same time for everyone, except those who have special needs or perhaps platinum cruisers. Those who arrive first are served first. That sounds most efficient to me.

People are making this way more of a big deal than I'm sure it will really be. Complaining about something only a select few have even experienced.

I don't know how hundreds of people rushing to be the first in line is more efficient than having set check in times. It's still a first come first serve basis. Those that select their times first will have the option to be in the earliest time. It sounds like it's going to be similar to the fast pass system at Disney which does help control the lines and crowd.

It is talked about constantly about how the cruise line sends emails asking people not to arrive until a certain time and people repeatedly tell them to ignore it and arrive as early as possible. People arrive before the other cruise is done offloading people and than grumble about having to stand around in the terminal. Thank those people because I have no doubt they are the reason the cruise line feels the need to start this system.

It just amazes me that checking in at a cruise pier is deemed the one part of cruise day that HAS TO BE FLEXIBLE because everything else is so unpredictable. Why should the Cruise boarding be the one thing that people feel shouldn't be "scheduled".

And if you want a guaranteed early check in then book early...if you want to wait until the last minute than be happy with the left-over times. Its simple, really. Why is all this the cruiselines' problem.

Agreed !

Am I wrong that this is really just about early embarkation ? Can't you ignore all issues if you board later , after the herd has mooved on . We have pretty much walked through on the couple of occasions when we arrived after 2:30 .

Edited by richstowe

I don't know how hundreds of people rushing to be the first in line is more efficient than having set check in times. It's still a first come first serve basis. Those that select their times first will have the option to be in the earliest time. It sounds like it's going to be similar to the fast pass system at Disney which does help control the lines and crowd.

I would be a little less concerned, at least, if they made the check-in times available for booking only a certain number of days or months before the cruise, maybe two months before short cruises and three months before 7+ day cruises. To compare, Disney Fastpasses can only be booked a couple months before your trip, no matter how early you reserve your room and tickets.

But I still don't see what was wrong with the old system, perhaps with extra email warnings to guests that if they wanted shorter lines they might be better off arriving later. That way, everyone could have the experience they wanted.

What about HMC Cabannas? You can't pick your Cabanna until you get on board?

Usually only people who book early get to those cabanas. Unless there's a late cancellation. Therefore once you're booked, you'll be able to pick your check in time so you can get onboard earlier. Or you can but fttf if you're not platinum.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Usually only people who book early get to those cabanas. Unless there's a late cancellation. Therefore once you're booked, you'll be able to pick your check in time so you can get onboard earlier. Or you can but fttf if you're not platinum.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

As long as there is a plan for this I am OK. I like the higher number Cabannas and would be frustrated if I got a late check in time and a low number Cabanna

What about FTTF? - they pay good money to be put in the front. Unfortunately, as Carnival implements this policy, they will have much more demand for FTTF, and then will probably raise prices.