Paying cash(Euros) for car services/tours? (ATM)

whineconnoiseur

Several of the car services/ tours I've booked independently require payment to the driver in cash at the end of the day.

Is the best plan to simply withdraw cash at the ATM that day? Is there a better way to handle this?

I would have the cash available before I met my guide. Either get it before you leave home or from an ATM before you get in the ship.

Several of the car services/ tours I've booked independently require payment to the driver in cash at the end of the day.

Is the best plan to simply withdraw cash at the ATM that day? Is there a better way to handle this?

Have Euros with you when you arrive and if you do need more "then" go to an ATM. I don't want to spend my travel time locating my bank's alliance ATMs. ATM daily limits, safety of using, etc. sometimes are not actually the most convenient. IMHO! ~~Judy

We would not recommend waiting until the last day...when you need cash. European ATM systems have been known to "go down" (usually when you need them)...sometimes for a few minutes and other times for hours. If the ATM you need to use happens to be down (or out of order) then what do you do? So, we always like to have a reserve of Euros..just in case.

Hank

Thanks for your thoughts guys. We had planned to convert the bulk of our funds before we left, but so much of what I read online elsewhere made me feel like this was an old fashioned way of doing things. Everything seems to say-- just use the ATM. We haven't traveled over seas in many years and I was unsure how much things had changed.

I'm a big proponent of using ATMs for cash. Especially if you have a few days before your tour or tours to accumulate cash. But I admit I'd feel a little uneasy starting a tour without having the funds to pay for it at the end, just in case.

I've never found ATM machines to be hard to locate. Even if you have to use one outside your network, it is still cheaper than the poor rate of exchange offered most other places (including banks in the US prior to travel).

But as Hank mentioned, there is that uncertainty factor. The machine you locate may be out of cash. Or temporarily down for servicing. Or your card isn't compatible for whatever reason.

True story... Last time I was in London, I used the ATM at the Barclay's Bank about four days after I arrived. No problem, I had notified BofA I'd be in London and took the equivalent of about $400. A few days layer I went to use the same ATM at the same bank, no dice. I called BofA (fortunately it was only a few blocks from my flat and midday in the States) and they had put a freeze in my card as they suspected it had been stolen. Once I answered a few security questions they released the hold, but it could have been a nightmare as I still had eight days left and was down to about £30, €200, and $40 in cash.

I'm a big proponent of using ATMs for cash. Especially if you have a few days before your tour or tours to accumulate cash. But I admit I'd feel a little uneasy starting a tour without having the funds to pay for it at the end, just in case.

I've never found ATM machines to be hard to locate. Even if you have to use one outside your network, it is still cheaper than the poor rate of exchange offered most other places (including banks in the US prior to travel).

But as Hank mentioned, there is that uncertainty factor. The machine you locate may be out of cash. Or temporarily down for servicing. Or your card isn't compatible for whatever reason.

Or the machine eats your card - if the machine detects a security risk it can happen, but if it is not a machine outside a bank you might just have to cancel your card.

It is best to have two different ATM cards linked to different accounts or banks. Just in case ... And make sure you notify both banks of the exact dates you are planning to be in a given country.

And just a word of caution. This actually happened to us this past Summer. We were in Italy and had told so to the credit union and used our cards several times. However, we happened to go past a Deutsche Bank ATM and tried to get some cash. The ATM refused the transaction apparently because it was on a German network and not an Italian network, so our credit union thought we were not in Italy. The machine did not eat the card since we did not attempt to reuse it, but it was frozen by our credit union. No problem for us since we still had other ATM cards from other banks, but we did make a phone call to get it unfrozen.

The moral of the story is, use the ATM from a local bank, not a foreign bank!!!

BTW - install Skype in your cell phone for those emergency phone calls

Edited by marazul

We have never had a problem with ATMs in Europe but we always have at least two debit cards from two banks and also two credit cards.

It came in handy in New Zealand when one of my credit cards was mistakenly blocked by my bank. And in Vietnam when one of my debit cards did not work.

We have had tour drivers stop at ATMs for us a couple times.

Or the machine eats your card - if the machine detects a security risk it can happen, but if it is not a machine outside a bank you might just have to cancel your card.

Marazul took the words right out of my little fingers :). Because we do a lot of international travel (more then 6 months a year) there is no way we can take the chance of relying on a single ATM/Debit Card. We have long preached (to independent travelers) that an important facet of travel is having backup plans (Plan B). In our case, DW and I carry 3 different ATM cards...each drawn on a separate account in different banks/credit unions. I have the ability to more funds between accounts...from anywhere that I can access the internet or use my iPhone. On several trips we have had problems with 1 ATM card (never had a problem with more then 1 card) and it was no biggie.

One important step that cannot be overemphasized is that you should always notify your ATM issuing banks and credit card companies of your trip itinerary (you should do this prior to leaving home). Failure to notify might result in your card(s) being cut-off due to security concerns. Many credit cards and ATM cards now have an online screen which lets you set a travel notification (this saves a phone call and you have a record).

Hank

We have never had a problem with ATMs in Europe but we always have at least two debit cards from two banks and also two credit cards.

It came in handy in New Zealand when one of my credit cards was mistakenly blocked by my bank. And in Vietnam when one of my debit cards did not work.

We have had tour drivers stop at ATMs for us a couple times.

This is a great piece of advice to which I will add an addendum. We recently toured throughout Europe with multiple CC's and debit cards. When in a port my DW and I would each carry a CC as well as a debit card but each would be different. Thus should we have lost a purse or wallet the opposite card would not be involved. Never happened but just one more way to protect yourself.

Also for those with accounts with Schwab or fidelity consider them as sources for an extra ATM card. Generally no fees associated.

We were in Italy and had told so to the credit union and used our cards several times. However, we happened to go past a Deutsche Bank ATM and tried to get some cash. The ATM refused the transaction apparently because it was on a German network and not an Italian network, so our credit union thought we were not in Italy. The machine did not eat the card since we did not attempt to reuse it, but it was frozen by our credit union.

The moral of the story is, use the ATM from a local bank, not a foreign bank!!!

BTW - install Skype in your cell phone for those emergency phone calls

Great advice. I never would have thought about sticking to local ATM's.

We took about 500 in euros which we got from our bank prior to our European cruise. The rate they charged was about 1.19. Rates from ATM's in Europe were about 1.12 and the exchange rate on our credit card charges was about the same. We also exchanged some USD to euros on the ship and the exchange rate was 1.22. So your best deal in terms of rates would be to withdraw from ATM's in Europe or use credit cards when possible. However, we did like having some Euros in advance so that we did not have to look for ATM's everywhere.

On my last cruise to the Med, before I left the states I converted enough to cover all tours I had pre-booked plus transfers to/from airport/ship. I flew in a a few days early so I visited an atm on the first day I was in Rome and withdrew additional euros from an atm and used that and credit cards for the remainder of my trip. At least that way I knew I would have plenty to cover all my tours and transfers and if for some reason I couldn't get money out of the atm on day 1, I still had time and options to find another.