Help! Will I be able to buy summer clothes in FLL - in Dec./Store close to Embassy

oldmom

Help- I may need to buy a few casual capris/shorts, etc. for my Dec 4th Freedom cruise in FLL. I am on a diet-have lost 30 lbs-so all my previously "tight" summer clothes are getting too loose-but I plan to keep on dieting-so will hopefully be another 10 pounds or so thinner by then. Most of the summer clothes are very limited in the stores here now- and I hate to buy all new ones that probably won't fit in Dec. Are there some reasonably priced clothing stores close to the Embassy Suites that will have summer clothes in Dec? We stayed there in May - but got there late -so didn't get a chance to shop much-except for liquor! I seemed to recall a Ross or TJMAX across the street? We have a car-but my husband will not want to drive all over FLL after a 8-9 hour trip with him driving that day.Any ideas-thanks-Melinda

Help- I may need to buy a few casual capris/shorts, etc. for my Dec 4th Freedom cruise in FLL.We have a car-but my husband will not want to drive all over FLL after a 8-9 hour trip with him driving that day.Any ideas-thanks-Melinda

Congrats on the weight loss.

I assume you are driving from Savannah. Just below Jacksonville on 95 near St Augustine are 2 sets of outlet malls, just across from each other on the same exit.

An option would be to stop and stretch your legs, and poke around the stores there.

Further on south a few hours, the Vero Beach exit has a nice big outlet mall right at the exit as well.

Just some thoughts, as I personally like to break up a drive like that.

Help- I may need to buy a few casual capris/shorts, etc. for my Dec 4th Freedom cruise in FLL. I am on a diet-have lost 30 lbs-so all my previously "tight" summer clothes are getting too loose-but I plan to keep on dieting-so will hopefully be another 10 pounds or so thinner by then. Most of the summer clothes are very limited in the stores here now- and I hate to buy all new ones that probably won't fit in Dec. Are there some reasonably priced clothing stores close to the Embassy Suites that will have summer clothes in Dec? We stayed there in May - but got there late -so didn't get a chance to shop much-except for liquor! I seemed to recall a Ross or TJMAX across the street? We have a car-but my husband will not want to drive all over FLL after a 8-9 hour trip with him driving that day.Any ideas-thanks-Melinda

Congratulations on the weight loss! There is a TJ Maxx store just behind the Embassy, by Publix. Also a Ross across the street from the hotel. I am not sure however if they will have much in the way of summer clothing at that time, although, being a cruise port, it would be good business for them to keep some of that in stock. Good luck, and have a great cruise.

When I was in a similar situation, I ordered online from a store called Fresh Produce. They also have brick and mortar stores, and sell summer clothes year round.

Roz

thanks- I would love to stop on the way down at the outlet stores-But my husband, bless his heart,prefers to stop only for gas and nature call breaks. He drives for a living-paramedic-and does all the driving when we travel-which is great-because I hate the traffic on I-95. I will look online-but prefer to shop in person-great to know "summer" clothes will be available-also-assume a Walmart is close by- I hate to spend much or buy too much-since I actually need to lose a total of about 20 more pounds and will not be at goal by the cruise-and I am sure I will gain some on the cruise. I tried to watch it when I cruised Oasis in May-but gained 5 back-but took it off in about 1-2 weeks after. Will be hard to cruise in early Dec. and watch my weight close to Christmas and over the holidays-but hoping to at least hang in there- I am a yo-yo dieter-but determined to stop the cycle this time.

thanks- -also-assume a Walmart is close by-

There is no nearby Walmart in Fort Lauderdale. The closest is about 4 to 5 miles away. Ross and TJ Maxx are your best bets and, as others have noted, they are within minutes (walking) of the Embassy Suites.

Good luck on your weight loss!

This is just me, but I would never wait until a day before my cruise to go out and buy clothes! All the department store and chain stores with good web sites are having sales between now and Labor Day to get rid of their spring and summer merchandise. Bathing suits are hard to find but everything else is close to 70- 80% off original prices. I'm shopping now for my February cruise.

This is just me, but I would never wait until a day before my cruise to go out and buy clothes! All the department store and chain stores with good web sites are having sales between now and Labor Day to get rid of their spring and summer merchandise. Bathing suits are hard to find but everything else is close to 70- 80% off original prices. I'm shopping now for my February cruise.

As another yo-yo dieter I can identify with the OP--she doesn't know for sure what size she will be at the beginning of December right now. So she can't buy the clothes now. Or I guess she could, but she would risk buying the wrong size and having to buy again at the beginning of December anyhow.

Exactly- I used to buy "smaller" clothes-anticipating I would loose weight before a special event-and guess what- it didn't happen. I did try on my fall clothes today-jeans and such from 2 years ago-that I could not wear last year-they fit! I may just buy a few things now-just in case-Belks (a southern based department store)- will let you return clothes with a receipt-no time limit. it is mainly the bottoms that may not fit- I usually stay the same size or so in shirts-in May I bought several sun dresses for Oasis cruise( I had lost almost 20 by then)-they still fit-a little loose-and I have my "thin" summer tops that I can finally wear again. I do sew - so I can do some minor alterations myself on my clothes. Just hoping to get a few new things-I'm not a big clothes person-I wear scrubs at work-RN- so I usually don't have to buy alot of clothes. Plus-my weight loss is slowing down- 15 weeks till my cruise-may only lose 7-10 pounds by then, have to make it through Halloween, Thanksgiving and my sons birthday-he always wants me to cook a special dinner and home made cake! Think I will look at Ross and t-jmax just in case. My husband won't be napping-he will relaxing with an adult beverage-we love happy hour at the Embassy! Thanks everyone.:D

I also have lots of bathing suits-in multiple sizes and tons of cover-ups-all fairly new. I love to buy Lands Ends suits on clearance, I bought the same suit in 2 different sizes-they were under $20. each. I always have a small cruise wardrobe of stuff-just in case-never now when a great sale happens.

thanks- I would love to stop on the way down at the outlet stores-But my husband, bless his heart,prefers to stop only for gas and nature call breaks. He drives for a living-paramedic-and does all the driving when we travel-which is great-because I hate the traffic on I-95. I will look online-but prefer to shop in person-great to know "summer" clothes will be available-also-assume a Walmart is close by- I hate to spend much or buy too much-since I actually need to lose a total of about 20 more pounds and will not be at goal by the cruise-and I am sure I will gain some on the cruise. I tried to watch it when I cruised Oasis in May-but gained 5 back-but took it off in about 1-2 weeks after. Will be hard to cruise in early Dec. and watch my weight close to Christmas and over the holidays-but hoping to at least hang in there- I am a yo-yo dieter-but determined to stop the cycle this time.

There is a new Walmart in Ft Lauderdale 5 miles from Embassy Suites but it is in a really rough neighborhood, so I would not advise tourists to go there.

. I will look online-but prefer to shop in person-great to know "summer" clothes will be available-also-assume a Walmart is close by- I hate to spend much or buy too much-since I actually need to lose a total of about 20 more pounds and will not be at goal by the cruise-and I am sure I will gain some on the cruise.

Do not for any reason go to that Walmart unless you are shopping for flakka or heroin.

They could not have picked a worse neighborhood in South Florida.

Do not for any reason go to that Walmart unless you are shopping for flakka or heroin.

Sounds like the County really screwed up.....did they think a new Walmart

would update the demographic in that area? Or did they just not think at all?:eek:

Thanks for the heads up on Walmart in FLL. I actually bought a pair of bermuda shorts on sale today in our Walmart-they fit perfect-not loose-so I should still be able to wear them in Dec. I actually like my clothes a little loose, anyway-and I need them somewhat loose-for any gain on the cruise. Think I will buy 1 pair of capris also. I always over pack on our cruises-trying to get better.Took a lot of sundresses on my May cruise-after reading on CC that it really cut down on overpacking-and I did better, and it was cooler in the heat! I also wear yoga pants to be comfortable-can find them year-round. Melinda

Sounds like the County really screwed up.....did they think a new Walmart

would update the demographic in that area? Or did they just not think at all?:eek:

It's good for the county, not so good for Walmart. The demographics will not change there, it just looks better. Walmart is trying to open in a nearby location in Oakland Park, not a good area but not terrible either, but the city has been making it really difficult.

Surely y'all aren't talking about the new Walmart on Broward and I-95? The one across from the Broward County Sheriff's Office? If so, that area is safer than 95% of crime ridden Miami.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article86476492.html

Surely y'all aren't talking about the new Walmart on Broward and I-95? The one across from the Broward County Sheriff's Office? If so, that area is safer than 95% of crime ridden Miami.

We weren't comparing it to Miami. The Fort Lauderdale Walmart is in one of the worst parts of Ft Lauderdale. I used to work in that neighborhood so I know it all too well. Someone tried to open my car door while I was stopped at the traffic light on Broward Blvd at 27th Avenue. A woman was murdered during a mugging across the street. Someone I know was stopped by cops, thrown to the ground and searched, just for riding his bike home from the triRail station near there...the police just assumed he was buying drugs, but he was just trying to get home from work.

Who is talking about Miami? We are talking about Fort Lauderdale. We all know that much of Miami is a ***** hole (sorry Carolyn).

The area is so bad, there are armed guards in the parking lot and all around the property.

Not like singular as in guard but like 20 guards with guns.

What about the Target in Plantation? It isn't right by where you are staying, but I always seem to find something I need there. I always stay at the Hyatt Place in Plantation when I cruise since I have friends nearby.

It is about a 40 minute drive from where the OP is staying. The Coral Ridge Mall Target is much closer.

What about the Target in Plantation? It isn't right by where you are staying, but I always seem to find something I need there. I always stay at the Hyatt Place in Plantation when I cruise since I have friends nearby.

You should try the Plantation Hampton Inn instead. They have both an airport shuttle and a port shuttle...complimentary.

Where in Missouri are you? I'm in Columbia right now, but will be back in Plantation Wednesday.

You should try the Plantation Hampton Inn instead. They have both an airport shuttle and a port shuttle...complimentary.

Where in Missouri are you? I'm in Columbia right now, but will be back in Plantation Wednesday.

I'm about 100 miles south, where St. Pat is celebrated for a month and we educate engineers. :)

Thanks for the tip about the Hampton. I'll stick with the HP for the Feb 2017 since we have to head to Miami and planned to rent a car, but keep it in mind for Dec 2017 when I'm bringing the family right before Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Algebralovr- So are you from Rollins? I grew up in KCMO- but my parents moved when I was in college to Holts Summit,mo- right out of Jeff City. LidoDeck-about 30 minutes from Columbia. Thanks for all the ideas- we usually stay at Embassy- We stay free with my Hilton points-we like to stay close-we park at the port-we do self embarkment-off the ship- in minutes and on 1-95 before traffic gets bad. We know it cost more-but my husband just wants to get going for the long drive back.