Other cruise lines?

We have only done P&O cruises up until now and next year is now in our thoughts. We were wondering about trying other cruise lines and how they compare with P&O.

In your experience of other lines which is the closest to P&O without actually being them. I expect in the end we will stay with who we know and enjoy but it's still worth looking at others as well if just out of curiosity.

Thanks for any help:)

I would agree about Princess.

For something 'as British' as P&O you could look at Thomson? Fly cruising from your local airport, to get you to the sun quicker, or sailing ex Newcastle, I believe.

Entertainment is very good; excursions good; MDR poor but buffet good

If you like the britishness of P&O the alternatives would be Fred Olsen and Thomson (soon to be TUI) I have no experience of Fred but cruise about equally P&O and Thomson. Thomson are older ships with a more relaxed atmosphere. Their TUI Discovery and Discovery 2 are in my opinion at least as good as Arcadia/Aurora/Oceana/Oriana and a similar size.

Princess are, I believe, similar in many respects to P&O, and I prefer the greater number of nationalities that you will meet on board. We have defected to P&O due to the exchange rate, as everything on Princess is priced in $. If the exchange rate ever improves we will be straight back on board!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I've never wondered why we like P&O but it is indeed the Britishness. Looks to me that it's worth having a look at Princess as most of you suggested. Fly cruising isn't possible for us for health reasons and living in Southampton makes Princess a possible alternative if not it's back to pando :)

Thanks again:)

We have only been with P&O and RCI and because it sailed from Southampton there were probably 80% british. It was quite nice having other nationalities onboard. Food we thought was just as good, but the entertainment/acts were better and the entertainment team put on more shows themselves, they also had ice shows which are very good. The one thing we didn't like was if you were on a higher tier (Like Peninsular higher tiers) they got a reserved seat in all the entertainment areas, so they could turn up just before the shows start to get a seat much to other peoples annoyance.

We didn't interact with our steward as we never saw him, apart from the first day.

Price of drinks on board were very expensive £30 for a bottle of wine and £10 for cocktail.

Princess are, I believe, similar in many respects to P&O, and I prefer the greater number of nationalities that you will meet on board. We have defected to P&O due to the exchange rate, as everything on Princess is priced in $. If the exchange rate ever improves we will be straight back on board!

This is our view as well, we prefer Celebrity and Princess but have returned to P&O because of the exchange rates and tipping rates on the US lines which make the onboard spend much more expensive.

The one thing we didn't like was if you were on a higher tier (Like Peninsular higher tiers) they got a reserved seat in all the entertainment areas, so they could turn up just before the shows start to get a seat much to other peoples annoyance.

Not sure if I understood what you meant there. Are you saying that on P&O if you were on a "higher tier" you got preferential seating?

Not sure if I understood what you meant there. Are you saying that on P&O if you were on a "higher tier" you got preferential seating?

No, basically it was only offered to the higher tiers in the RCI loyalty scheme and no P&O do not do this.

No, basically it was only offered to the higher tiers in the RCI loyalty scheme and no P&O do not do this.

We have been with RCI on a number of cruises (Oasis class and Freedom Class) and yes while they do have an area set aside for "higher tiers" its only for Diamond +, and we have never had a problem with show seating.

Each has their own positives and negatives. Princess is similar to P&O, but with a larger cross section of nationalities etc, RCI has, in my opinion, better ship layouts, and Carnival are what it says on the tin - Fun ships.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

another vote for Princess

I have a FCC with them which will expire in a few months. Would love to have found a cruise for this year but the exchange rate was one reason we're booked on P&O instead. Also the cruises I want to do all fell on dates we had pre arranged things planned for.

Celebrity cruises from Southampton have a nice mix of Brits and other nationalities, mainly Americans/Canadians which we like. The Eclipse has a feel of an upmarket hotel. Main dining room food is similar to P&O but with better meat quality and service and their buffets are excellent ( a choice of 6 types of eggs benedict at breakfast). Also the Eclipse has a good space ratio so never feels busy. However, if you need to be entertained then Celebrity evening entertainment is more low key. Their theatre has 400 more seats than Britannia but with 600 less passengers so finding a seat is easy. Finally, drinks prices are higher but we've not cruised with them the last 3 years without their promo drinks package thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celebrity cruises from Southampton have a nice mix of Brits and other nationalities, mainly Americans/Canadians which we like. The Eclipse has a feel of an upmarket hotel. Main dining room food is similar to P&O but with better meat quality and service and their buffets are excellent ( a choice of 6 types of eggs benedict at breakfast). Also the Eclipse has a good space ratio so never feels busy. However, if you need to be entertained then Celebrity evening entertainment is more low key. Their theatre has 400 more seats than Britannia but with 600 less passengers so finding a seat is easy. Finally, drinks prices are higher but we've not cruised with them the last 3 years without their promo drinks package thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Celebrity Solstice class of ships would be our first choice in a level playing field, but the exchange rates currently mean that it is P&O for us for a while.

They will extend the FCC if you wish. They extended ours by a further year.

That's interesting to know, I might have to look in to that, as Next year they have the Canaries cruise I want to do. Only do it every other year....... Missed last years due to being on the Vista.

Thanks everyone for your answers. We had a look at Princess amongst other suggestions but have decided to stay with P&O. Two reasons for this whilst the price isn't out of our range it's still a fair bit above P&O. The other reason is we are British and we like the Britishness of P&O so why change.

Thanks again for your help :)

SF

Thanks everyone for your answers. We had a look at Princess amongst other suggestions but have decided to stay with P&O. Two reasons for this whilst the price isn't out of our range it's still a fair bit above P&O. The other reason is we are British and we like the Britishness of P&O so why change.

Thanks again for your help :)

SF

I'm sure you appreciate all nationalities but there is certainly a lot to be said to be proud to be British.