Silversea versus Oceania?

Juliayn

My husband and I are considering either a Silversea or Oceania Mediterranean cruise. We have never been on either line so would love some input. I hear they both have fantastic service/crew and incredible dining. Any other insights would be most appreciated! We are in our mid 40s so have heard we may be on the younger side for Oceania but that is not really a factor for us. Thanks in advance!!

Another thing to consider, when comparing two cruise lines with similar itineraries, is the number of ports visited where your ship will be at anchor or docked.

Also keep in mind the difference in the dress codes. You will not need to pack a sports coat or suit on Oceania, on the other hand, if you like to dress up for formal nights you won't have that option on Oceania either.

And finally, check the flights to and from the ship. Can you fly direct and at what times.

Whatever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Happy travels

We have sailed on both cruise lines and enjoyed both experiences. Oceania's newest ships are a bit large (around 1100) but are the most beautiful ships we have ever sailed on. Although Oceania is not in the same category as Silversea (Oceania is considered "premium plus" while Silversea is classified as "luxury"), the two ships are definitely luxurious.

In terms of Silversea, as with Oceania, we only will sail on two of their ships ...... the Whisper or the Shadow (pretty much twin ships). We like the size and layout much more than on Silversea's other ships. The biggest negative for us is the dress code. Silversea passengers love dressing up and they look great but we prefer a slightly less formal environment when we are on vacation.

In terms of age, I do not see a difference between Oceania and Silversea. You will be on the young side unless you sail during the summer or on shorter itineraries. People that are still working have to worry about how much vacation time they have each year while retired folks sail on the longer itineraries (a generalization).

Food and service is great on both cruise lines. Obviously, since Oceania has larger ships, they have more dining choices.

While we are long time Regent customers (and do prefer Regent slightly more than Silversea) I believe that you can have a great experience on either Oceania or Silversea.

Despite Silversea being classified luxury and Oceania premium plus, we get the impression that for the basic balconied cabins in both cases, and without adding the usual extras (Silversea includes more basics), Oceania is actually more expensive than Silversea in many cases (varies with geographic location and time of year). We mentioned that on both boards years ago, and Oceania passengers somehow appeared to be proud of that, for reasons complicated to discuss again.

Edited by meow!

We started on O back when we were still late 30s :'( and moved to SS 3 years later. We have only sailed the R-ships on O, so can't comment on Marina, etc. Food is great on O and SS, but it's hard to say which is better. We remember O's food very fondly but last sailed with them in 2008... The service on both lines was great as well. I think both offer an excellent product, with an important difference.

O is not all-inclusive so you will pay for drinks. When you factor that in, we also find that O is more expensive than SS, and in some cases O is more expensive even without that. I agree with meow on this, as it's been our experience too. Nonetheless, we would go on O again when the itinerary is right.

But we don't have any cruises of any type booked now, as we're struggling to figure out what itinerary appeals to us. A separate issue.

Edited by jpalbny

Despite Silversea being classified luxury and Oceania premium plus, we get the impression that for the basic balconied cabins in both cases, and without adding the usual extras (Silversea includes more basics), Oceania is actually more expensive than Silversea in many cases (varies with geographic location and time of year). We mentioned that on both boards years ago, and Oceania passengers somehow appeared to be proud of that, for reasons complicated to discuss again.

Yes - Oceania, in some categories, is more expensive than Silversea. On the other hand, we were able to get a Vista Suite (between 1,200 and 1,500 sq. ft.) for a really good price on Oceania (not an expensive itinerary). In any case, we would rather sail on Silversea than Oceania - just personal preference.

O is not all-inclusive so you will pay for drinks. When you factor that in, we also find that O is more expensive than SS, and in some cases O is more expensive even without that. I agree with meow on this, as it's been our experience too. Nonetheless, we would go on O again when the itinerary is right.

Thank you kindly for your reply. It is so true.

Yes - Oceania, in some categories, is more expensive than Silversea. On the other hand, we were able to get a Vista Suite (between 1,200 and 1,500 sq. ft.) for a really good price on Oceania (not an expensive itinerary). In any case, we would rather sail on Silversea than Oceania - just personal preference.

Thank you kindly for your reply. It is nice to hear from you again .. meow!

My husband and I are considering either a Silversea or Oceania Mediterranean cruise. We have never been on either line so would love some input. I hear they both have fantastic service/crew and incredible dining. Any other insights would be most appreciated! We are in our mid 40s so have heard we may be on the younger side for Oceania but that is not really a factor for us. Thanks in advance!!

We have been on both. We did not care for Silversea very much but we would consider trying them again when their new ship the Muse is ready in Spring, 2017. It's on their website and you can view the online brochure. The photos look great, the cabins look really nice, and they have a variety of restaurants. The ship we were on (Whisper) seemed dated. Although the service was very good, we did not think the food was very good and we do not like formal nights. Oceania seems to be a better fit for us and the Marina is a beautiful ship. I think you would like Oceania Marina or Riviera better than Silversea and would be a great choice for a Mediterranean cruise. I know Silversea has the Spirit and maybe that is a better choice but we have never tried that ship.

I have cruised Oceania many times and enjoy them. My 1st sailing with SS was to be Spring of 2017 for a B2B on the Whisper. However, the 1st sailing has now changed it's embarkation place from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and added Gibraltar (the fuel stop port) :( The 2nd sailing I was on, has shortened a port and now also eliminated an important port (Wales) and one of the main reasons I booked this cruise was for this port. Wales and Scotland are bucket list countries for me.

Clearly, I am very disappointed and just cancelled both of these cruises and will be going elsewhere.

A bit crabby today, as you can probably tell ;-)

In fairness to Silversea, last year Oceania dramatically shortened port times and made changes on many itineraries. All cruise lines make changes - some by their choice and others due to weather or problems in the port. "Ship happens" - some of us go with the flow while others cancel and miss out on what could have been be a wonderful cruise.

I have cruised Oceania many times and enjoy them. My 1st sailing with SS was to be Spring of 2017 for a B2B on the Whisper. However, the 1st sailing has now changed it's embarkation place from Monte Carlo to Barcelona and added Gibraltar (the fuel stop port) :( The 2nd sailing I was on, has shortened a port and now also eliminated an important port (Wales) and one of the main reasons I booked this cruise was for this port. Wales and Scotland are bucket list countries for me.

Clearly, I am very disappointed and just cancelled both of these cruises and will be going elsewhere.

A bit crabby today, as you can probably tell ;-)

Thats a real shame, its looks as though The Whisper is no longer chartered between the 3rd and 8th May. I hope SS offered you something reasonable to make up for the change of date, length of cruise and the starting port.

However as a Brit I find it rather strange that anyone should wish to visit Holyhead, although its in Wales it is not at all representative of Wales or Welsh culture.

Thats a real shame, its looks as though The Whisper is no longer chartered between the 3rd and 8th May. I hope SS offered you something reasonable to make up for the change of date, length of cruise and the starting port.

However as a Brit I find it rather strange that anyone should wish to visit Holyhead, although its in Wales it is not at all representative of Wales or Welsh culture.

Actually, my TA is handling it, but I have already replaced with a Danube river cruise on Tauck and an Adriatic on AZ. When we go to Europe, we tend to try to stay for close to a month.

I have bucket list countries and continents to knock off, Antartica and Scotland and Wales being on that list. From Holyhead, you have Snowdonia and Caernarfon Castle. Those places were on my Wales list. I have been to so many places, it is now down to itinerary and timing for my cruises. SS British Isles had it perfect, until the one port in Wales was removed. I am in a much better mood now after finding some suitable replacements. Possibly something the following year on SS with Tower Bridge will have the perfect itinerary :)

Actually, my TA is handling it, but I have already replaced with a Danube river cruise on Tauck and an Adriatic on AZ. When we go to Europe, we tend to try to stay for close to a month.

I have bucket list countries and continents to knock off, Antartica and Scotland and Wales being on that list. From Holyhead, you have Snowdonia and Caernarfon Castle. Those places were on my Wales list. I have been to so many places, it is now down to itinerary and timing for my cruises. SS British Isles had it perfect, until the one port in Wales was removed. I am in a much better mood now after finding some suitable replacements. Possibly something the following year on SS with Tower Bridge will have the perfect itinerary :)

Glad to hear your spirits have lifted and hope you find an SS UK cruise that meets your expectations.;)

The Isle of Anglesey is also an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in it's own right, and apart from the trips you mentioned you shouldn't overlook that it is a lovely and scenic part of Wales and less touristy than the others. In fact it is an antidote!

Enjoy your trip when you eventually make it!

Jeff

The Isle of Anglesey is also an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in it's own right, and apart from the trips you mentioned you shouldn't overlook that it is a lovely and scenic part of Wales and less touristy than the others. In fact it is an antidote!

Enjoy your trip when you eventually make it!

Jeff

Thank you everyone. I will be back because SS does have wonderful itineraries:)

Thank you everyone. I will be back because SS does have wonderful itineraries:)

I was thinking about your posts this evening and it occured to me that it was such a shame that many have so little leisure time that they feel they have to pack it in this way. In thinking about it it seemed to me that we seem to make the choice of seeing very little of as much as possible rather than quite a lot of fewer places. I wonder whether we think about that choice sufficiently - or even at all. Do we just fall into the mode of believing we have to see as much as possible without really thinking about it?

In the context of your UK cruise it occured to me that the best format for a cruise was going from port to port where each port is a city and where you can whizz around and see most of it between 9am and 6pm. But I wonder whether a cruise is suitable for visiting a country like Wales.

It led me to wonder whether it might be better to trade the number of places we tick off in favour of picking a few less and spending four or five days soaking and immersing in atmosphere. Would our lives be less complete? Is less more? Fly in, spend ten days in UK instead of spending ten days on a cruise?

Places like rural Wales have to much to soak in in an idle way. Not a frenetic and hurried way. Not a blur, but instead a long exposure snapshot that you smell, taste, linger over and remember more.

It's be great if you traded a cruise for a longer period in off-road Blighty! But what do I know. :eek:

all the best, and enjoy your travels,

Jeff

:)

I was thinking about your posts this evening and it occured to me that it was such a shame that many have so little leisure time that they feel they have to pack it in this way. In thinking about it it seemed to me that we seem to make the choice of seeing very little of as much as possible rather than quite a lot of fewer places. I wonder whether we think about that choice sufficiently - or even at all. Do we just fall into the mode of believing we have to see as much as possible without really thinking about it?

In the context of your UK cruise it occured to me that the best format for a cruise was going from port to port where each port is a city and where you can whizz around and see most of it between 9am and 6pm. But I wonder whether a cruise is suitable for visiting a country like Wales.

It led me to wonder whether it might be better to trade the number of places we tick off in favour of picking a few less and spending four or five days soaking and immersing in atmosphere. Would our lives be less complete? Is less more? Fly in, spend ten days in UK instead of spending ten days on a cruise?

Places like rural Wales have to much to soak in in an idle way. Not a frenetic and hurried way. Not a blur, but instead a long exposure snapshot that you smell, taste, linger over and remember more.

It's be great if you traded a cruise for a longer period in off-road Blighty! But what do I know. :eek:

all the best, and enjoy your travels,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff,

I was thinking the same thing because we are fortunate to be retired at an early age and have plenty of leisure time. The reason I love cruising is because I can unpack once and have a little home to return to each evening.

But, I am thinking about this and I just wish we knew how to drive on the right ;-)

It would make it so much easier. I looked into a Tauck land tour and it has a lovely itinerary. I am not certain we could do the bus thing everyday, but it is a great way to explore more of England,Wales and Scotland.

I am of German and Welsh heritage (Portofino?) LOL!

Greatly appreciate your input. You have my brain working overtime. Thank you.

Edited by portofinoitaly

PF,

I was hoping my irritatingly questioning nature would cause you to ponder and the good thing about Wales is that they all drive on the wrong side of the road anyway! :eek:

I think the art is to fly in, hire a car, rent a cottage in three or four different centres for a few days each ie one in England, Wales, Scotland and perhaps even the republic of Ireland and explore out each day from each cottage, or flat. But linger. Even better as you are retired, a week in each. The whole thing will cost less than a cruise and be considerably better for this type of experience. You will soak up the atmosphere rather than tick it off a list.

Jeff

PF,

I was hoping my irritatingly questioning nature would cause you to ponder and the good thing about Wales is that they all drive on the wrong side of the road anyway! :eek:

I think the art is to fly in, hire a car, rent a cottage in three or four different centres for a few days each ie one in England, Wales, Scotland and perhaps even the republic of Ireland and explore out each day from each cottage, or flat. But linger. Even better as you are retired, a week in each. The whole thing will cost less than a cruise and be considerably better for this type of experience. You will soak up the atmosphere rather than tick it off a list.

Jeff

Thank you for the tips. You are up late. I am in NY and I believe it is after midnight Mr. UK. I have studied all of this extensively and know a great deal of areas to explore. Lake District as an example. Good hotels, driver, trains, exemplary food and wine, a must on the itinerary. I think this will be the way to do it right.

Now, lots of planning to do. I agree, forget the cruise.

Thank you for the tips. You are up late. I am in NY and I believe it is after midnight Mr. UK. I have studied all of this extensively and know a great deal of areas to explore. Lake District as an example. Good hotels, driver, trains, exemplary food and wine, a must on the itinerary. I think this will be the way to do it right.

Now, lots of planning to do. I agree, forget the cruise.

PF,

sadly after many years in the entertainment business I never recovered and learned to sleep, so we go to bed each night at around 2am to 3am .... and I am up after only four ours or so of sleep. It is a terrible thing needing no sleep. :(

Re your trip ...... have a google of the areas around Machynlleth in Wales. That is a lovely area to be based to visit some of the areas you mentioned. Rent a rural slate cottage with an open fire.

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

I have not cruised either one, but recently got booted off a Silversea sailing because they chartered the ship. I normally cruise Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. If I decide to pursue a trip on another line, I will do A LOT of research on how that line follows through with their contract. I was shocked that a cruise line would allow a ship to be chartered after passengers had booked. If there is any hint of that, I won't be booking. After 28 years of cruising, learned something new.

I beg to differ....Holyhead is indeed a port gateway to North Wales and it's beauty and has a certain charm that actually does represent the Welsh culture without the usual tourist traps such as Portmeirion.

Within an hour of leaving the port one can be enjoying the most spectacular scenery and the many castles along the way.

Our very own Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made a home there when William served at RAF Valley....and I've been visiting the whole area since the 1950's.

My apologies to the op for deviating.....

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk