Am I missing any important sites

Hi all,

I've made a list of places I want to see at each port for our upcoming cruise in July. If there's something you think I missed, or something that you think is a waste of time, I'd realy appreciate your input. :)

Thank you!

COPENHAGEN

Visit The Little Mermaid

Do a canal cruise

Visit Tivoli Gardens

OSLO

City Hall

Oslo Fjord cruise

The Bygdoy Peninsula

AARHUS, DENMARK

Walk to Old City & Merchant's district

WARENMUNDE, GERMANY

Rostock beer tasting

Walk around Warenmunde market and port

TALLINN

walking tour http://www.********.com/tallinnwalk.html

ST. PETERSBURG

(private tour)

City Tour.

Tour of Grand Palace of Peterhof

Guided tour of Lower Park of Peterhof (Fountain park). Lunch

Tour of Catherine's Palace including Amber room

Tour of St. Isaac’s Cathedral

Tour of Peter and Paul's Fortress, including Peter and Paul's Cathedral

Tour of Church of Saviour on the Spilt Blood

General tour of the Hermitage Museum

Rivers and canals cruise on a private boat

HELSINKI

Market Square

Rock Church

STOCKHOLM

Vasa Museum

Ice Bar

Canal cruise

You don't have to go all the way to Rostock to have a beer. I didn't realize there was a market in Warnemunde, it must not have been going on when I was there last year.

Wismar is a very interesting city, might be worth it to go there, have a fish sandwich and a beer. ;)

We are leaving soon on the same cruise.

Here is what I would consider adding:

Copenhagen: Rosenborg Castle ( Crown Jewels in basement level)

Marble Church: at 12:55 they sell tickets to climb inner dome

Changing of guards at 11:45-12:00 at Amalienborg Palace (near Marble Church)

NY Carlsberg Glyptotek museum if you like sculptures.

Round Tower - has a circular ramp to reach the top instead of stairs.

Warnemunde: We are taking train to Schwerin Castle, then back to Rostock and port. Can buy inexpensive train tickets valid all day. Long day in port, so have plenty of time.

I'd recommend a trip on the St Petersberg subway-they are so ornate -known as the "peoples palaces" by the soviet regime

The little mermaid is an "is that it?" moment but it's close to the ship and you can take a picture then tick that one off your list

Helsinki-check whether the Pub tram is running-it's sponsored by the local brewery and as the name implies has a bar on board-it's certainly different from the usual HOHO buses!

HELSINKI

Market Square

Rock Church

STOCKHOLM

Vasa Museum

Ice Bar

Canal cruise

Looks like a good list to me. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Ice Bar in Stockholm and use the time to see something more historic and less gimicky, but that's just me. And in Helsinki I went over to the fortress at Suomenlinna and thought it was fascinating. But seeing Market Square and the Rock Church won't take long so you'll have plenty of time to do a lot more there.

All the best, Tony

We are leaving soon on the same cruise.

Here is what I would consider adding:

Copenhagen: Rosenborg Castle ( Crown Jewels in basement level)

Marble Church: at 12:55 they sell tickets to climb inner dome

Hi Chesapeake, VA! I was curious: when you say the Marble Church in Copenhagen, is that the one that is in Christianshaven/Christiania, with a spiral church spire? I know you can climb up there (although I hear it's quite an effort) but I wasn't aware that tickets were only available at a certain time, or starting at a certain time. Do you have more information on this, and if so, are you willing to share? Thanks.

Shoegal

Your itinerary is pretty spot on. If I may make a couple of other suggestions. You might want to forgo Tivoli, unless you like expensive food and don't go on rides, and substitute Rosenborg Castle. It is a great place to visit, with a walk in their rose gardens also.

In Warnemunde, you might want to take a stroll to the beach area and climb the lighthouse

In Stockholm, please forget the ice bar and the canal cruise and go to Gamla Stan. here you can walk in the 'old town' with amazing narrow cobblestone streets, some teeming with tourists and others, nary a soul. Here is also the Royal Palace, where you can view the Changing of the Guard ceremony.

If you are docking in Stockholm, make sure you are up on deck as you leave to view the sailing thru the Archpelagio.

In Helsinki, I would also try and add a visit to Senate Square and the Lutheran Cathedral, and maybe a ferry ride out to the fortress.

Here are a few of my pixs to show you some of these amazing sites.

In Copenhagen, you will want to visit the Nyhavn section where you will do the canal boat tour.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

As I mentioned, the Rosenborg Castle has so much to offer

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

In Warnemunde, a nice walk to the beach will include the lighthouse where you can climb to the top for a great view of the area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe446.jpg

In Helsinki, a few blocks off of Market Square is Senate Square and the magnificent Lutheran Cathedral.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

In Stockholm, (our favorite port), The Changing of the guard ceremony is both colorful and inspiring

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

We just loved wandering around Gamla Stan, either enjoying a lunch at an outdoor cafe or shopping in the many wonderful shops

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

The church with the spiral staircase is Vor Frelser Kirke, Our Saviours Church, The Marble Church is located opposite Amalienborg.

If possible then skip the Little Mermaid and do a canal tour instead, then you can see her from the water.

I'll go along with Len re Stockolm.

Vasa is a must-see.

Table-mates visited the Ice Bar (had to be booked) & were very very disappointed.

Don't know about the canal cruise, but the ho-ho boat is a pleasant way of getting between ship & Vasa & Gamla Stan. Get off the boat at Slussen, walk through the lanes (not the waterfront) of Gamla Stan to the Royal Palace & re-board there.

Copenhagen - the walk between ship & centre is level, moderate & attractive, well worth walking one way. Little Mermaid & Amalienborg Palace will be on your route, then mebbe a people-watching coffee or beer on Nyhavn.

Tivoli is close to other sights (right alongside the magnificent Town Hall) so you can decide on a whim. We decided "no".

JB :)

In Oslo....

I agree that you can skip the Oslofjord cruise. You'll see the same scenery sailing in/out of port.

I would consider including Vigelands Park if it looks like something that would interest you. Most people really enjoy it and consider it one of the top highlights in the city (unless you have a problem with nude sculpture, in which case it might not be a good choice)!

Personally I've never been overwhelmed by the City Hall, but a lot of people rave about it, so maybe I'm just missing something. :o

Copenhagen we visited Rosenborg Palace and was pleasantly surprised. We used HOHO bus to get around.

Tallin we stopped for a early lunch at Olde Hansa Medievil resturant, the soup is very good. We made reservations on-line in advance because we were a large group and they get booked. To see menu & pics see olde hansa dot ee

St. Petersburg we took a short ride on the subway as part of our tour with spb-tours. The subway is beautiful, we were amazed.

Stockholm we visited the City Hall (Stadshuset). Check out pics and reviews on http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Sweden/Stockholms_Laen/Stockholm-173634/Things_To_Do-Stockholm-Stadshuset_City_Hall-BR-2.html

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

In Helsinki see the Uspenski Orthodox church near Market Square. The Lutheran church is very plain inside...the Orthodox church is the exact opposite! We also took the elevator up the tower at the Olympic Stadium. Wonderful views of the city.

Hi all, I've made a list of places I want to see at each port for our upcoming cruise in July. If there's something you think I missed, or something that you think is a waste of time, I'd realy appreciate your input.

COPENHAGEN: Visit The Little Mermaid, Do a canal cruise, Visit Tivoli Gardens

OSLO: City Hall, Oslo Fjord cruise, The Bygdoy Peninsula

ST. PETERSBURG: City Tour, Tour of Grand Palace of Peterhof, Guided tour of Lower Park of Peterhof, Tour of Catherine's Palace including Amber room, Tour of St. Isaac’s Cathedral

Tour of Peter and Paul's Fortress, including Peter and Paul's Cathedral, Church of Saviour on the Spilt Blood, Hermitage Museum, Rivers and canals cruise on a private boat

HELSINKI: Market Square, Rock Church

STOCKHOLM: Vasa Museum, Ice Bar, Canal cruise

We have been to many of these ports and cities. Lots to see and enjoy there. I'll second some items suggested and mentioned previously. This includes:

1. Copenhagen: Do lots of walking around and exploring there. So much great architecture, public art, charm, great water views, etc.

2. Oslo: Skip the Oslo fjord cruise. You'll see most of that sailing in and sailing out. The outdoor sculpture gardens/park is wonderful. The main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo is interesting. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.

3. St. Petersburg: Not sure the interior of the Peterhof palace is worth it. Agree on seeing the subway stations, the People's Palace. Maybe the fortress where the old Czars are resting and/or Yusupov Palace where lots of unique history happened. . It was once the residence of the wealthy and powerful Yusupov family. It was one of the most dramatic episodes in Russia's history, Grigory Rasputin’s murder. In 1916, some of the city's noble elite, including one of the Grand Dukes and the prominent Prince Felix Yusupov, conspired to kill a royal advisor who they believed threatening the stability of the war-torn Russian Empire.

4. Helsinki: Yes, that traditional church could be worth a visit. Interesting options around the main square, market, et.c

5. Tallinn: Good shopping options here.

6. Stockholm: We loved the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace, plus the great old town area right next door.

Below are a few of my photo highlights for good options to consider. Many, many great things in the Baltics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,659 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 72,626 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts. Walking around in the Gamia Stan is wonderful as you soak up its history, charm and interesting architecture.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Here we are inside a nice linen shop near the City Hall.:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Great lists folks! I am primarily on private tours with a few ships tours mixed in. But outside of St. Petersburg & Berlin, there is plenty of time outside of planned tour to explore on our own.

Did anyone have enough OCD to keep track of the times of changing of the guards? (Only found a few)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived