Quart Sized Bag: What can I live without?

Smilefy

Bring your lens prescription to Italy. DD has had no trouble getting contacts.

Do not know if she uses her American prescription or just shows her the box.

I'm lucky enough that my surgery took away the need for contacts or glasses. I always carried a prescription from my optometrist - she'd write up a current one for me just for that purpose. Kind of like the reason for taking prescription meds in the original bottle - you can usually find a place that will help you in an emergency with a small refill...

On a cruise there is such limited time in port that I wouldn't want to waste it running around trying to replace contacts.

No kidding. They take up practically no space whatsoever anyway. I'm with you on this one.

• 1 month later...

Ductile, I won't be able to buy anything in Orlando as I will be flying to Ft Lauderdale. Kind of defeats the purpose. Once there we won't have time to just buy stuff nor do I want to waste my money like that. I am also primarily using items I already own, thus keeping the cost down.

I will post pictures soon for anyone interest in seeing how I figured things out.

sunscreen: liquid in a spray bottle as of now. May break down and get the solid stick version.

Just buy this in Orlando. The price is the same as at home.

bodywash: Could replace with a moisturizing soap bar. Not a bar soap fan.

Get a bar of Shea Butter soap from L'Occitane. One bar x 2 showers a day=10+ days.

shampoo: my hair is very picky in humid weather.

Wash once a day in the evening and wear a sun hat or pull it into a ponytail. Use a rich shampoo and emulsify in your hands first. Two ounces will last the whole trip--most people use way too much shampoo.

conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.

Wash once a day in the evening and wear a sun hat or pull it into a ponytail. Emulsify in your hands and run them through your hair. Two ounces will last a week or more.

face cleanser: I plan to wear makeup on formal nights, plus sweating in the heat, so I need a good one.

Cleanser towelettes. Don't need to go in the 3-1-1 and you can use the space they take for small souvenirs on the way home.

hairspray: Can't think of an alternative.

Because you'll be only styling hair once a day, a small travel size can will be plenty for a week to 10 days.

mascara: Can't think of an alternative.

This takes so little room I don't see why it's even an issue unless you are flying through LHR. US TSA won't care if it's not in the 3-1-1

concealer: I have dark under-eye circles that need covering. At least when I want a nice photo.

Again it's so small (mine comes in a pot about an inch across) it's just not an issue.

foundation: I could use the powder or mineral kinds. Though I prefer a tinted moisturizer.

A B&B takes very little room in your 3-1-1 bag.

lipgloss: Could use a potted lipgloss instead.

The "stick" type will fit better in the 3-1-1 bag

aloe vera gel: Do they have this available at the purser's desk?

No, but they will have it for purchase in the shop. I would skip it and use the space for extra sunblock.

mouth wash: Can't go without mouthwash.

Buy in Orlando

wrinkle releaser: For all of my clothes that are going to be packed so tightly.

You don't need it. Hang them up and the wrinkles will fall out. If something is really bad, send it out for pressing--$2 or so.

hand sanitizer: for when we are ashore.

Get one of those mini-bottles in Orlando

Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer.

With the sun block you will use daily, you won't need this.

argan oil: For hair

If you can't find a sample size, use an oil that can be used for face, hair, and body

almond oil: For skin after shaving.

If you can't find a sample size, use an oil that can be used for face, hair, and body

perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.

Leave it at home.

spare contact lenses

Don't need to be in 3-1-1, and to be honest you'd be better off just bringing glasses. You can't wear contacts in the water.

toothpaste

A travel size tube is enough for 7-10 days.

How can this be such a long list? ?

Because you are letting it be.

Things I will bring if I can fit them in:

First aid ointment, wipes.

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

and

Tide packets for sink-washing garments.

Instead of bug spray bring a couple packets of Off wipes.

I just got back from two weeks in London and haven't unpacked my 3-1-1 bag yet, so here's what is in it:

2 ounce shampoo (a little left after 18 showers)

2 ounce conditioner (a little left after 18 showers)

25ml Face Wash (a little left after 18 showers)

2 ounce styling cream (2/3 full)

2 ounce hand lotion (almost empty)

1 ounce eye makeup remover (to catch what the disposable wipes miss)

.5 ounce Caudalie hair/face/body oil (about half gone) (Buy this size at Sephora)

1 ounce Khiels body polish

travel size hairspray (almost gone)

.25 ounce face cream x 2 (one day, one night--both about half empty)

1 mascara and 4 lip gloss/balm sticks

.25 ounce concealer pot

.1 ounce eye cream (sample from Keihls almost gone)

.15 face oil (sample from Keihls that I keep refilling, enough for one more use)

1 ounce travel tube of toothpaste almost gone (I started with two)

1 Yankee Candle mini air freshener spray stick (the size of a Sharpie but not as long)

It is not jammed, there is room for another can of hairspray and another tube of toothpaste and probably a few more small things.

• 3 months later...

I'm definitely stressing over my quart bag. Are the following considered liquids:

Regular tube style lipstick?

Mascara?

Cream blusher?

Lipliner?

Eyebrow pencil?

Body cream? I'm guessing yes, it's considered liquid, although it's a thick cream?

I think that's it...until I find something else to stress about.

Thank you :)

Lynn

Yes

Mascara?

Body cream?

(but I have a small container of a body butter I've gotten through in my carry-on, if it's pulled and I have to stick in my 3-1-1 or throw away, that's fine. It's a cheap store brand I refill and use for travel.....

No:

Cream blusher?

Regular tube style lipstick?

Lipliner?

Eyebrow pencil?

I've heard people call several of those make-up items 3-1-1 liquids, but I've never had my lipstick (not in bag) taken from me.

You can get A LOT in a quart bag. Just don't put anything NOT liquid (or cream or paste) in the bag. Pack another bag for the non-liquid toiletries.

These were my final lists for a TWENTY-SIX day cruise. I could actually have left out HIS shampoo and face-wash, but there was room.

HIS:

Cocoa Butter Lotion, 3oz, full

Intensive skin therapy (lotion) 1oz

2oz GoToob Shampoo/conditioner

2oz GoToob foaming face cleanser

Travel antiperspirant, new

Bactroban (RX) 15g (use as Neosporin)

DEET bugdope, 0.5oz stick applicator

Afterbite 14g stick applicator

Benadryl cream, 1oz

Toothpaste, 0.85oz, new

HERS

Sonia Kashuk tinted moisturizer, 1.75oz tube

2x 10-pack make-up remover wipes

2-oz GoToob Shampoo

2-oz GoToob Face wash

Travel antiperspirant, new

Acne Treatment, 0.75 oz

Coldsore treatment, 0.23oz

Blistex chapstick

Pocket sized Bodyglide, 0.07oz

Toothpaste, 0.85oz, new

NOTES: Next time I will take larger Bodyglide,

but put the tinted moisturizer in a smaller tube

Bodyglide is also a stick that doesn't need to go in the liquid bag. But if you use the Lanacane anti-chafe gel, that DOES need to go in the 3-1-1 bag.

And yes, we definitely travel with solid deodorant/antiperspirants and lots of "wipe" options I wouldn't necessarily use at home but are great for travel.

For sunscreen on longer trips, we will either check a bag (usually the same size as could go carry-on) or if possible will plan to purchase on arrival. Depending on where we travel, that's not always possible. I'll carry a couple of small size sunscreens in my 3-1-1 bag, but that's not going to hold me for a long trip....

Just tested how many liquids I can fit in a quart sized bag. :eek:

My brother may share some real-estate as he can use the hotel and cabin shampoos without consequence. We are spending 3 days in Orlando before the cruise, that makes 11 days of toiletries in two gallon bags, two personal sized bags and a single carryon. Challenge accepted!

Here's the liquids I've determined I need:

1. sunscreen: liquid in a spray bottle as of now. May break down and get the solid stick version.
  2. bodywash: Could replace with a moisturizing soap bar. Not a bar soap fan.
  3. shampoo: my hair is very picky in humid weather.
  4. conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.
  5. face cleanser: I plan to wear makeup on formal nights, plus sweating in the heat, so I need a good one.
  6. hairspray: Can't think of an alternative.
  7. mascara: Can't think of an alternative.
  8. concealer: I have dark under-eye circles that need covering. At least when I want a nice photo.
  9. foundation: I could use the powder or mineral kinds. Though I prefer a tinted moisturizer.
  10. lipgloss: Could use a potted lipgloss instead.
  11. aloe vera gel: Do they have this available at the purser's desk?
  12. mouth wash: Can't go without mouthwash.
  13. wrinkle releaser: For all of my clothes that are going to be packed so tightly.
  14. hand sanitizer: for when we are ashore.
  15. Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer.
  16. argan oil: For hair
  17. almond oil: For skin after shaving.
  18. perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.
  19. spare contact lenses
  20. toothpaste

How can this be such a long list? :confused: ?

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

and

I will also have contact lens solution that does not need to be put in the quart-size bag.

Any suggestions on how to pack these in two quart-sized bags? Did I leave anything off?

https://30somethingforawhile.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_2291.jpg

Simple.

Go to the store when you get to Orlando.

Buy the items you need.

On you flight home put them in your checked luggage.

---sorry, just saw you are flying to FLL after Orlando. Travel sizes are going to be your best option. For small amount items (like moisturizer) I use contact cases. :)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Edited by Anthomaniac

Use 2 or 3 quart sized bags. No one at security has any idea which plastic bags belong to whom. I do this all the time.

Don't take the chance...in security at an international terminal just this week they had everyone put their belongings separately like at supermarket check out.

Your belongings were checked as you walked through the X-ray machine. One quart bag per person.

Don't take the chance...in security at an international terminal just this week they had everyone put their belongings separately like at supermarket check out.

Your belongings were checked as you walked through the X-ray machine. One quart bag per person.

That's actually how it's supposed to be done, and I am pleased to hear that at least one place is actually doing it that way.

Just tested how many liquids I can fit in a quart sized bag. :eek:

My brother may share some real-estate as he can use the hotel and cabin shampoos without consequence. We are spending 3 days in Orlando before the cruise, that makes 11 days of toiletries in two gallon bags, two personal sized bags and a single carryon. Challenge accepted!

Here's the liquids I've determined I need:

1. sunscreen: liquid in a spray bottle as of now. May break down and get the solid stick version.
  2. bodywash: Could replace with a moisturizing soap bar. Not a bar soap fan.
  3. shampoo: my hair is very picky in humid weather.
  4. conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.
  5. face cleanser: I plan to wear makeup on formal nights, plus sweating in the heat, so I need a good one.
  6. hairspray: Can't think of an alternative.
  7. mascara: Can't think of an alternative.
  8. concealer: I have dark under-eye circles that need covering. At least when I want a nice photo.
  9. foundation: I could use the powder or mineral kinds. Though I prefer a tinted moisturizer.
  10. lipgloss: Could use a potted lipgloss instead.
  11. aloe vera gel: Do they have this available at the purser's desk?
  12. mouth wash: Can't go without mouthwash.
  13. wrinkle releaser: For all of my clothes that are going to be packed so tightly.
  14. hand sanitizer: for when we are ashore.
  15. Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer.
  16. argan oil: For hair
  17. almond oil: For skin after shaving.
  18. perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.
  19. spare contact lenses
  20. toothpaste

How can this be such a long list? :confused: ?

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

and

I will also have contact lens solution that does not need to be put in the quart-size bag.

Any suggestions on how to pack these in two quart-sized bags? Did I leave anything off?

https://30somethingforawhile.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_2291.jpg

My suggestions:

1. Take twice as much sunscreen as you think you need at the least.

2. Bar soap for body wash is a pretty obvious one.

3. Bar shampoo like a soap bar exists and some are quite good.

4. Bar conditioner also exists, but my experience is the better ones still require being placed in your baggie due to the liquid content. I was able to form one into a shape that took up some of the crannies left from my other bottles, though, so that was helpful space-wise.

5. You aren't required to place individual or small packs of cleansing wipes in your liquids baggie.

6. Got no alternative on the hairspray, except to say I use less if I use a bit stronger gel prior to styling, so that might help.

7. Cake mascara or charcoal capsules are dry options. Use with a very tiny amount of coconut oil.

8. Get a tiny plastic container for your concealer. You shouldn't need much for a few days. I have dark circles and a 1/4 ounce container held more than I needed for a two week vacation recently. You can try out the container before and see how many days it lasts. You'll probably be surprised.

9. Foundation goes in a tiny container, too. Try it!

10. On the TSA blog I read solid lip balms don't need to be in your baggie but some people are getting told otherwise in practice according to the comments, so YMMV on that one evidently. I have carried both eye liner and lip pencils through not in my baggie and never had an issue.

11. Aloe Vera gel is a medical product, and doesn't have to be in your regular baggie. I typically carry Aloe Vera gel, first aid triple antibiotic cream, and my contact lens fluid in a baggie with my single prescription medication and the couple of over-the-counter medications I always carry with me. I take it out and place it in the bin with my shoes and phone, and my liquid bag in the bin with my plus one, then my suitcase besides. I've only once had them so much as glance at it. The TSA inspector just picked it up, asked me was it a medical products baggie, and dropped it back in when I said yes. I did this based on a post in the TSA blog concerning medical products. Evidently you are allowed more than 3 ounces, but I never carry more than that as it is all I need.

12. Mouthwash can be purchased as a powder you add to water.

13. You can make your own wrinkle release. Just carry an empty spritz bottle, 1.5 teaspoons white vinegar, and 1 teaspoon either conditioner or fabric softener. You could easily just put the vinegar and fabric softener of your choice in a very tiny 1/2 ounce container.

14. Individual hand sanitizer wipes wouldn't need in the baggie.

15. Coconut oil makes an excellent moisturizer and could also be used with your dry mascara.

16. See if a 2 ounce bottle of argan oil is enough.

17. Samples or minis of perfume are a great idea.

18. Spare contacts are a medical product and go in the other baggie.

19. Tooth powder.

20. Didn't see deodorant. Crystal deodorant is dry, or you can buy liquid and place it in a 2 ounce spritz bottle. TSA webby says deodorant sticks don't go in your baggie, but I've had them make me add mine to a baggie on three occasions. I suspect the issue is some of the sticks are gel sticks, which show as a liquid on the scans as the ones I had to shove in the baggie were all gel sticks. Some also swear by homemade powders as temporary replacements.

21. Tide powder.

Edited by TravelinGert

I must just be really lucky because I can't remember the last time I was actually checked for my liquids when traveling. I don't even use the clear bags anymore. That said, I also don't try and bring anything full sized. Sunscreen, I either check a bag or buy it when I get there (depending on what is more cost effective).

Everything else - travel size works. I will have to give this more thought next year as I'm planning a month long trip to Asia and want to travel relatively light.

• 2 weeks later...

For a combination conditioner and detangler I found a travel size spritzer at Ulta. It Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat leave in conditioner. Ulta has a really nice selection of sample or trial sized products. And after throwing tinted moisturizers away for not being moisturizing enough I now blend my moisturizer with a touch of my regular foundation for light wear days. I prefer Neutrogena make up remover cloths and you can get them in 7 or 24 day packs. I just push the flap closed and store them in a drawer upside down. And with most lines one of the first percs you get is two items pressed per 7 day cruise. Use the coupon on your two, or with a guy who doesn't care, most wrinkled items. And definitely take Woolite or Tide packets if you are going to wash out a few things. It seems few ships carry it unless they also have washing machines for guest use and it is expensive if you can find it especially in the Caribbean.