Celebrity Millennium November 23 Sailing – Change in Itinerary (Threads Merged)

C 2 C

True. Unfortunately, some of the passengers who had booked B2B ended up doing the same cruise twice. On this forum, Need2BeSpoiled has been posting about it, and has made plans to fly to Bali for a few days and then I believe rejoin the ship.

I think visiting saigon twice would have worked for me...since on one visit you can see the city (I'd recommend staying overnight in the city, if you have two days) and on the second visit you can cruise the mekong river. I didn't look closely to see if any other stops are repeated.

Personally, I would not fly to Bali for the day...unless the plan is to take a boat to Komodo Island. For me, the high point of our visit to Bali was eating some of the unusual but wonderful local fruits in a local open air market.

And it is well documented that like China, on the face of it there is this legislation but that the reality is a million miles away in Indonesia.

Given the wording of the release - otherwise why use the words ethical - and I suspect we will hear no more detail as wording the follow up communication might be an issue - I still believe as there has been an issue on several previous trips that some payment to local officials was the barrier.

If it had been safety issues, say with the tender operations or onshore, why were the words ethical used

You're probably right....reality is far from what you read on the web about crackdowns on corruption. I forgot the stressing of ethical in the note from celebrity...that's strong language.

I took a 30 day land trip in 1991 that included 4 nights in Bali. Our group was 22 people plus a guide. When our Dragon Air flight landed in Bali, our tour guide gave us each a pack of cigarettes to give to the local officials. Not even this was good enough, so cash had to be given. On a subsequent trip via a cruise, again a bribe was asked, but I don't know if anyone paid it, but we were allowed to disembark. This crapola has been going on for decades.

Edited by kitty9

As an earlier poster said, we too were on the Gems of Indonesia itinerary two years ago and had to change our port of entry to Lombok first before Bali. Obviously, these problems have existed before. I too was very excited to visit Bali but was disappointed, not the romantic place I envisioned, very touristy. Our visit to Saigon was much more memorable. I do understand however, the major disappointment in having an anticipated port substituted. Perhaps, given the history of problems in Bali, Celebrity should omit it from this itinerary if they can't deliver.

Good to hear that X is not paying these bribes. We live in Macau and my wife and I have talked about vacationing in Bali for Chinese New Years. However we would not be sailing on this trip. But in support of X and to protest this reprehensible behavior by Indonesian authorities, we'll definitely choose another destination this time. I felt the same way about Mexico when Sgt. Tahmooressi was held for so long. If the politicians and corporations can't work these things out then we....then we...the vacationing public need to make our voices heard.

Interesting reading. We are scheduled to be going to both Komodo Island and Bali on P&O Australia in mid-2015 while cruising from Singapore to Brisbane. While it wouldn't worry me if we don't go to Bali (been there, done that) it would be disappointing to miss Komodo Island.

Also booked this January 3 2015 departure cruise specifically for the 4 days of "Indonesian Highlights". Guess my actual birthday visit to see the Komodo Dragon's is likely now to be an un-fullfilled dream, as I can't imagine that the authorities will break sweat over the next month, even though it will reduce their income in many ways!:rolleyes:

Awaiting updates from Celebrity via travel agent.

Like Rusty, I too am not a happy cruiser. I posted a note on our RC regarding the Galapagos issue which was particularly troubling since we had done that cruise a few months earlier so the subject and memories were fresh. It would seem that with all the connections of Chandris and RCI these things could be solved or better yet, prevented. Why is it that we never hear of any of these issues with other cruise lines? Are they immune or willing to pay the piper whatever is required?

Komodo was the main draw for this cruise and I've been training carrying my wife piggy-back while running just in case a dragon got away from the ranger. ;)

It would be a long way to fly to not see what you set out to see. We can make up Bali or substitute Tahiti at a later date but seeing live dragons in the "wild" was going to rank up there with see blue footed boobies and giant tortoises.

Maybe we're jumping to conclusions, but the timing is not working in our favor for getting this resolved in a little more than a month.

So you were NOT on an impacted Galapagos cruise and the itinerary for your future Bali cruise has NOT been altered. What is your problem???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sad, but in a way not surprising

When we were on Solstice, we were subject to an incident that left a really bad taste in my mouth re Bali.

Tendering was delayed for 3 hours, then the first tender over was held in choppy water for another hour and then sent back. The issue was that the port officials were demanding extra payment from the cruiseline before they would allow disembarkation. The words bribe and corruption were used by one senior officer. I believe because of a medical emergency and a guest had to be taken off quickly this fee was paid in part. Maybe Celebrity are now taking a stand against this kind of behaviour, but I am so sorry for those who are missing a part of a cruise.

I have a cruise on Azamara booked for next year that includes stops so I can see the Komodo dragons, so I know how I would feel if that went.

We were on the Celebrity Solstice cruise over the top of Australia and were delayed in a similar manner by the local authorities. Three hours we were delayed in tendering. Then we had to use a huge local tender that took a very long time to fill up and then in port a very long time to dixembark. Our excursion went ahead and we finished it late and still saw 90% of what was planned, but it left a bad taste regarding visiting Bali again. The next day was fine but the first day's delay was outrageous.

We would not have been terribly unhappy if the Captain had just left and gone back to Australia.

I d be happy if they did the same thing on jaan4 dont really feel like seeing 4000 drunken tatooed aussies in bali a bit pissed about komodo thoughtto

I share your thoughts too, as potential long delays/ go-slows by local jobsworth people is not what I want to remember of Bali & Komodo.

Maybe, all will be well, but it looks as if there has been some sort of escalation in the local demands for 'baksheesh' and the cruise line are saying 'enough is enough'. This is pure conjecture on my part, of course.

It's a lot longer to fly to Singapore from Scotland, than Melbourne, Claudio, to not see Indonesia, other than the crew members on board, so you will not be as bad off as some!!! Time, as other have said, is not on our side, but $350 OBC and 30% travel certificate is better than a kick in the pants .

I have a friend on this cruise. She received $350. OBC and 30% off next cruise.

For a point of data, what cabin type were they in. Often cases, cabin category relates to OBC compensation.

$350 seems quite generous to me based on how X has provided to others in similar situations past.

June 2013 celebrity's permit for the Galapagos park was revoked for 45 days because (according to news stories) an inspection found legally purchased lobster tails in the ship freezer after the Galapagos lobster season closed. It always sounded fishy, but a number of cruises had to be cancelled. Some have suggested that celebrity wasn't greasing those with palms outstretched. The Indonesia situation sounds potentially similar in its cause...but that's pure conjecture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Years ago, at sea for a living, one of my employer's fleet spent many days at anchor in an Indonesian port. The reason? They refused to pay the bribes demanded by port officials. I doubt it's changed much.

My Gems of Asia cruise made it to all the ports, but the night before the first stop the order of the Indonesian ports changed. Imagine all the guests the night before trying to get on line and change their private shore excursions.

I do feel bad for everyone that has spent a year or more researching the ports and planning their trips.

Bali was not the place I imagined and it took a long time to get out of the traffic smog packed port. The people seemed to encircle us quickly and we were a bit scared.

Komodo Island was the most amazing day ever, again with a private tour that was perfect from the dragons to swimming on the pink beach.

Enjoy your cruise.

Suites got $350/person plus 30% future cruise credit. Concierge got $250/person and presumably everyone else.

15696001928_f1a24e976b_b.jpg

Hello From Bali by the way ;)

We'd already spent 2 days in Saigon (Ho Chi Min) and 2 in Bangkok so this was our choice. Better than the scene at the pool has been, though arguably that may be better on the port days. We get a sandy beach and a beautiful hotel with large pool. Tomorrow I'm going on a private dive trip with lunch and exploration on Nusa Penida. I definitely can do that in Vietnam. We actually will be back in Bangkok before anyone on the ship as our flight lands about 7:20 and the ship arrived in at 6pm 2 hours from the city.

Not much I can do about missing Komodo, that hurts for sure :(

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new doc 8.pdf

Edited by need2bespoiled

Thank you Jenna, for the update,. As one of many who are booked for 1/4/15 on this routing to see Bali & Indonesia, we are watching the ongoing situation with more than a little interest at this time!!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.:)

If anyone is interested I have room on my "James Bond" Island tour. Tour includes long boat to the island, canoe ride to the caves, lunch and transportation. If interested, please contact me with a note or something at my cabin #6022 as the internet is so spotty. Maximum cost is 3,000THB per person or if there are more, the cost will go down.

Mary Knoll

I have experienced a couple of instances were local officials affected our cruise. On Carnival, the port for Athens held the ship up for hours as we sat on the stairwell wanting to depart. We could not get off until "extra Fees" were paid. Our Port stop in Livorno, Italy was delayed a day due to our paid spot being taken by another ship. The local officials had given it away.

According to this article, X is going to give some OBC (amounts unspecified) and 30% off a future crusie. Not bad compensation at all (and not really needed under the T&C's either, so VERY generous in fact).

I beg to differ that this is very generous! I have yet to speak to anyone onboard who sees the offer as generous.

The onboard credit weve been given has been swallowed up with the cost of Celebrity shore excursions which many of us have now booked. Both Saigon and Bangkok are 2 + hrs drive each way and we are berthed in container ports miles from anywhere.

Several of us had booked taxis on Bali and private tours on Komodo, several people had also booked hotel overnight stays on Bali and have lost money.

This is our first Celebrity Cruise and our disappointment is such that we may never risk booking a further cruise.

We have been on several cruises previously where one port has been missed or changed which is acceptable, but to have a whole chunk of a cruise billed as Gems of Indonesia, where theres no Indonesia

Is beyond disappointing. I understand all the bribe arguments but it would seem this is not a new issue.