If Israel Ports get cancelled?

Ronniewales

And fortunately, O is being proactive by not prematurely "pulling the plug" on Israeli port stops.

The only constant in that part of the world is that there is no constant. Things can change overnight from conflict to quiet and have.

I agree..forget politics and who is who and what or who caused what... blame get you nowhere.....forgret the cause but understand the effect.

In reality, wherever you travel in the region or any region you should take the rose colored glasses off and look at whats actualy happening. It is absurd and naïve to think that these regions can be dealt with just as any any American big city.... they are not. The level of violence is beyond your imagination.... I have been in combat and not eager to return to it for a vacation spot.

The confidence that one can think that they can deal with crime and danger at home and apply it to a war zone is outright dangerous ...that gets people killed fast

These are defacto combat zones where you can not avoid the risk because it is out of control. In these areas the other side has one goal to kill or maime the other guy... and in this case whether soldier or traveler...you are the other guy.

So, your not going to let them intimidate you...and go any way. I think that was Custers thinking at the little big horn

We went on Regent to the MIddle East in late 2011. We were supposed to port in Ashdod for 2 of 3 days. Because of 1 rocket coming close to that port prior to our departure ,they moved us to Haifa for all 3 days, which meant much longer coach rides on our excursions. In today's news I noticed that a rocket waas fired early this morning considerably inland and came close to the port of Haifa. So as has been said, it is a day-to-day situation. IMHO, it doesn't look good for Israel stops in the near term.

Itinerary Update

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Oceania Cruises’ primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and onboard staff. We have been carefully monitoring the ongoing situation in Israel. In an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to cancel our upcoming call into Jerusalem (Haifa), Israel on the Riviera sailing September 8, 2014.

Below is the revised day-by-day itinerary which incorporates calls to Alanya, Turkey and the Greek Isles. Shore excursions for the new ports will be available within the next few days.

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

Original Port

8-Sep-14

Mon

Barcelona

Spain

6:00 PM

9-Sep-14

Tue

At Sea

10-Sep-14

Wed

Valletta

Malta

9:00 AM

11-Sep-14

Thu

At Sea

12-Sep-14

Fri

Aghios Nikolaos (Crete)

Greece

8:00 AM

4:00 PM

13-Sep-14

Sat

Antalya

Turkey

10:00 AM

11:59 PM

14-Sep-14

Sun

Alanya

Turkey

At Sea

15-Sep-14

Mon

Limassol

Cyprus

Jerusalem (Haifa), Israel

16-Sep-14

Tue

Rhodes

Greece

9:00 AM

11:00 PM

17-Sep-14

Wed

Patmos

Greece

10:00 PM

18-Sep-14

Thu

Santorini

Greece

7:00 PM

Limassol, Cyprus

19-Sep-14

Fri

Mykonos

Greece

8:00 PM

Rhodes, Greece

20-Sep-14

Sat

Kusadasi

Turkey

21-Sep-14

Sun

Istanbul

Turkey

12:00 PM

22-Sep-14

Mon

Istanbul

Turkey

We thank you for your understanding, and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Is Oceania considering offering some kind of compensation for cancelling Israel ports? In my opinion, they should as Haifa was the main reason to book this cruise for many of us. Oceania knows that. While I understand the safety reasons, they should realize how disappointed we are. Board credits, beverage package, upgrades would be some options to be given to cruisers who decide not to cancel the upcoming cruise . Thank you.

I may not be able to cancel this cruise but I sure am going to cancel my future cruises. The way this was communicated or lack of communication by Oceania was not good. I can understand their concerns but disagree with how they communicated this to so called valued customers. I was on the phone with customer service on another matter and just happened to ask about the stops in Israel. Simply refused to say anything and told me to speak yo my travel agent who knew nothing about it.

They at a minimum need to review their policy on communicating port changes especially the ports they know are important for even booking the cruise.

I spend a condsupiderable amount of money and should at a minimum as a customer be told when I am on the phone with them. Poor customer service I have been loyal to them but this was not showing respect to a customer

Edited by fg159

This is extremely disappointing. I realize that planning for alternative ports requires lead time but we are still a little over 2 months away from the planned Haifa port stop for September 8 cruise. I'm not overly thrilled with the replacement ports as I've been to Patmos and frankly,there is nothing there worth doing. I had hoped O would hold off on a decision for at least a couple more weeks but it is what it is. There is quite an uproar on the Roll Calls over this so I hope FDR takes that into consideration in terms of his customers on these cruises.

ports as I've been to Patmos and frankly,there is nothing there worth doing.

We found the Monastery there very interesting but I guess it is not everyone's cup of tea

Lyn

Well said

Cruise lines should just not put those port in their schedules then no one will be annoyed when the ports are cancelled

I must respectfully disagree. The "situation" in the Middle East has been a fact of life for over 70 years. I pray for an end but am realist enough to know you need "two to tango". Some booked passengers ARE upset because they looked forward to seeing Israel for the first time. We've been there twice before and were looking forward to visiting parts we have not yet seen. Fact is, Oceania for many IS more expensive than the mass marketers and from the Roll Call comments,visiting Israel was a major decision point in their taking the 9/8 cruise . This decision just came down today. I suspect people will cool down somewhat after a day or two to absorb the issue and we will still have an enjoyable trip, however, it will not be what most had planned for.. Surely you are not suggesting that cruise lines should play the Priceline game and simply list cruises by departure date and end date and maybe region? "Book now and we'll tell you when you board where you're going!"?

We found the Monastery there very interesting but I guess it is not everyone's cup of tea

Lyn

Lyn, my point was that that is about all to see on Patmos. Yes, it was interesting but this time we might just do lunch on shore, or maybe not. Surprised O didn't try for an extra overnight in Istanbul instead. I think that would go a long way toward "salving the wound" for customers.

I must respectfully disagree. The "situation" in the Middle East has been a fact of life for over 70 years.

My point exactly ..it has been going on for decades

Sometimes you will get to the ports without any problems sometimes the ports will be cancelled due to safety issues

At any point in time if you choose to go.. then be prepared to be disappointed if there is unrest in that part of the world

If those ports were not offered as part of a cruise then no one would be disappointed

Lyn

Lyn, my point was that that is about all to see on Patmos. Yes, it was interesting but this time we might just do lunch on shore, or maybe not. Surprised O didn't try for an extra overnight in Istanbul instead. I think that would go a long way toward "salving the wound" for customers.

Lots of good eating place there as well

Sometime it is not easy to park a cruise ship where & when you want ;)

My point exactly ..it has been going on for decades

Sometimes you will get to the ports without any problems sometimes the ports will be cancelled due to safety issues

At any point in time if you choose to go.. then be prepared to be disappointed if there is unrest in that part of the world

If those ports were not offered as part of a cruise then no one would be disappointed

Lyn

Ah, but then Lyn, O may not find takers for whatever alternative itineraries they publish. These are popular ports of call and historically significant. Perhaps a better suggestion is to post a caveat for cruises featuring these ports that fully explains what might happen to the itinerary and any compensation in the event of turmoil. Most cruisers do not bother to read all the legalese. At least this way, everyone goes in with eyes open. I'm still going to enjoy my cruise regardless!

And probably more expensive!:)

Any dining spot tips in Istanbul would be appreciated, also.

Edited by Aloha 1

Ah, but then Lyn, O may not find takers for whatever alternative itineraries they publish. These are popular ports of call and historically significant. Perhaps a better suggestion is to post a caveat for cruises featuring these ports that fully explains what might happen to the itinerary and any compensation in the event of turmoil. Most cruisers do not bother to read all the legalese. At least this way, everyone goes in with eyes open. I'm still going to enjoy my cruise regardless!

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

And probably more expensive!:)

Any dining spot tips in Istanbul would be appreciated, also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2942&d=1339520639&thumb=1YS%20M%c3%bczedechanga%20bar%20mermer%20masa%20bo%c4%9faz.jpgYS%20Muzedechanga%20Entrance%20from%20Inside%201.jpgmuzedechanga.jpg

Overall, the best restaurant that we have ever been to overseas, outside of France, that is, would be Muzedechanga, in Istanbul.

http://www.changa-istanbul.com/v2/muzedechangamain.asp#

It is particularly magical if you can snag a table on the terrace, where the views of the Bosphous verge on the ethereal, but wherever you sit, the food is just superb.

Is Oceania considering offering some kind of compensation for cancelling Israel ports? In my opinion, they should as Haifa was the main reason to book this cruise for many of us. Oceania knows that. While I understand the safety reasons, they should realize how disappointed we are. Board credits, beverage package, upgrades would be some options to be given to cruisers who decide not to cancel the upcoming cruise . Thank you.

Very well said. The highlight of the cruise Is the Holy land and that s one of the main reasons we decided to opt for this. In my opinion though the Greek isles are beautiful and worth visiting if you see one you've seen them all. IT is a little bit too late to look for another cuise being peak season so being offered a beverage package and board credits would slightly help .

Considering We arrive in Istanbul circa 12:00 there is not much we can do + being a Sunday does not help. We could have been better off leaving out Patnos and Alanya from iteniary and enjoy Istanbul . There is so much to see. It will definatley not compensate for missing out on Jerusalem but at least we get to see Istanbul better.

Unfortunately, port cancellations is one of the risks you take when going to the Middle East. We were fortunate in November 2012, when we went to Israel on Celebrity. Hostilities broke out the day we finished our third day in port in Israel. We also managed to get to Egypt at a good time - after the first revolution, but before the later crackdown. Hopefully things will be better before your cruise. We had booked and canceled three prior trips to Israel and Egypt over the years when hostilities arose. Our one trip to Egypt was enough, but we would like to go back to Israel one day.

[quote name=StanandJim; Overall' date=' the best restaurant that we have ever been to overseas, outside of France, that is, would be Muzedechanga, in Istanbul.

http://www.changa-istanbul.com/v2/muzedechangamain

It is particularly magical if you can snag a table on the terrace, where the views of the Bosphous verge on the ethereal, but wherever you sit, the food is just superb.[/font][/size]

Thanks for that! We'll check it out.

Edited by Aloha 1

and agree that O show how lengthened days in port in Istanbul instead of going to Greek ports that many of us have been to; but we are all between a rock and a hard place. We are at O's mercy. I guess that this is one of those situations where you have to make lemonade out of very expensive lemons. Guess we have to make the best out of a bad situation.