Is a visa required to visit Ephesus

Is that since june 14 when the new visa stuff went on line- thanks

Not sure what you mean but the way I understand it when a cruise ship stops in Ephesus they will obtain a "blanket" visa for the passengers. Unless things have changed (I'm sure we'd have seen it on these boards) you don't need to do anything on your own. We had to turn in our passports upon embarkation for the cruise that stopped in Ephesus and got them back toward the end of the cruise. Enjoy Ephesus - it's amazing.

Is that since june 14 when the new visa stuff went on line- thanks

You should make sure you check what the requirements are for you, not those that have posted so far. If I remember correctly, you are from the UK, so far all the answers have been from Americans and Canadians. Their requirements might not be the same as yours.

Yes I am from the UK but on this occasion the turkey visa site (the new e-visa site launched in 2014) seems to suggest the same for US and UK - the part that is very unclear is it now says no visa required if staying about the port area- It is how far that extends I am trying to check. "According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours."

I am sure Ephesus is in a near by Province - but not the clearest info.

Visas

And from the UK foreign office:-

British nationals need a visa to travel to Turkey (except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day). If you’re visiting Turkey as a tourist or on business, you’ll need to get an e-Visa online before you travel.

It is the "remaining in the port " that sort of worries me

Edited by fragilek

We just came back from a cruise that stayed overnight in Istanbul, Turkey. We are Canadian and did not require a visa. My understanding is that if you are in port as part of a cruise you do not need a visa, but if you are embarking or disembarking from a Turkish port, then you do need a visa.

OP that language is a bit unclear, hopefully some recent UK travelers to Kusadasi/Ephesus will post here to help you out. I still think it's highly unlikely you'll need to obtain a visa beforehand. Ephesus is a pretty short drive (20 minutes or so if I remember correctly) from Kusadasi.

It's a few years since we went to Ephesus , Istanbul. Athens and Greek islands with Celebrity. We had to hand our passports over to the ship and they were returned to us a couple of days before the last port. We didn't have visas and I'd think if your with a cruîse excursion you wouldn't need one

We always travel with our passports. What is the difference of having a visa? Why would you need a visa rather than have your passport?

Some countries require you to have advance permission (the visa) to enter their country, in addition to your passport.

Edited by clarea

We always travel with our passports. What is the difference of having a visa? Why would you need a visa rather than have your passport?

Some countries require a visa in order to enter. I did a cruise out of Santos, Brazil a few years ago had to obtain a Brazilian tourist visa before I went. Other countries will issue you a visa at the immigration desk upon arrival.

we need a visa or an esta (visa waiver we apply and pay for valid for 2 years For short term tourist visits) along with our passports to visit USA.

Yes I am from the UK but on this occasion the turkey visa site (the new e-visa site launched in 2014) seems to suggest the same for US and UK - the part that is very unclear is it now says no visa required if staying about the port area- It is how far that extends I am trying to check. "According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours."

It is the "remaining in the port " that sort of worries me

Do not worry. I went to Ephasus in January and no visa is required.

A visa is only required if you fly in (or out) of Turkey. I cruised into Istanbul in May, left the ship to fly home and needed a visa.

Pete

duplicate information

again from the foriegn office:-

"If you don’t have an e-Visa you can still get a visa on arrival for £20 in cash, although the visa on arrival service is due to b e phased out. Getting an e-Visa from the official website before you travel will avoid possible problems or delays at the Turkish border, or when boarding your flight in the UK. See Entry requirements"

Turkey visa site says buying on arrival to be phased out by july (allegedly).

and from abta (association of British travel agents)

From 11 April 2014, the Turkish authorities will start to phase out issuing visas on arrival.

UK visitors arriving in Turkey on or after 11 April, should get an e-visa online before travel.

For a transition period, visas on arrival will be available but we recommend consumers obtain an e-visa as this will be cheaper and also remove the need to queue for a visa on arrival.

From: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions.en.mfa

Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.

Looking at the official Turkey advise and it seems to say no visa if staying at the port for the day - does that include visiting the sites nearby including Ephesus. Looking for recent experiences. thanks

No Visa is need for cruise ship passengers who are not disembarking in Turkey.