Maasdam food and service declining?

Harris Jeffer

I am a Maasdam fan having been on her many times. As I was about to book her again I decided to check some of the recent CC online reviews of her .

I am dismayed and perplexed at the amount of negative comments by many reviewers. The complaints were mostly about the food and service/attitudes of the staff.

I would be interested to hear from some of the HAL community who have had any recent trips on her. Just last April I was aboard and was pleased with the ship in spite of some cost cutting Carnivalizations.

So...just how bad has it gotten?:eek: any insights ?:) Thanks !

DW and I did a 2 week Canada cruise on her in Sept 2012. I have nothing but good memories of all aspects of the trip. Food,service,cleanliness all excellent.

Remember, if one person has a bad experience,they tell 10. A good experience many times goes unsaid.

Bon Voyage

I just wrote a review of the Westerdam. We had a great time. There were some entrees that were not successful but they were cheerfully replaced. I don't think you can serve filet and lobster every night when people are paying $549 for a 7 night cruise.

We sailed on the Maasdam July-August 2012 35 day Voyage of Vikings, plus added 7 day Boston to Montreal. No complaints about the food or the service. Then October-November we did the 42 day Atlantic Adventure. Could not have asked for else. We were treated like family by everyone.we extended an extra 10 days to cruise the Caribbean with our friends and they were treated the same. My husband usually eats vegetarian meals. Even though he is not a vegetarian . One night we were invited to a table hosted by the Hotel Manager. My husband looked at the menu and said to our server. Would you just bring me some vegetables whatever you have. He raved about his meal. The next day he went to compliment the Culinary Mgr.about the food he ordered. The reply was " I told the staff Mr....might order a vegetarian meal so you should be prepared just in case" now that is service, but then it is HAL and that is why we cruise with them.

Maasdam seems to be a very special ship.

Maasdam is VERY special, Carol.

We just can't get enough of the beautiful Maasdam and her wonderful crew.

We have sailed her a great deal and have two more cruises booked. :)

We were on her not that long ago. (well, it seems long ago now:rolleyes:). Loved the ship and the crew.

The problem with reviews is that more people post who are unhappy than those who are - you reminded me I must do one.;)

This ship has fans for a reason:)

Does the Maasdam get different food than the rest of the fleet? I have not been on every ship, but I have been on several of them and I have seen a definite decline in the quality and variety of the food served in the MDR over the last 10 years. Most notably in the last 2 years.

i just do not understand all of this hyperbole over the maasdam. i've sailed this ship a number of times, though not sail's 30 plus in deluxe suites. my room stewads have always been good, though the one on the last cruise who wheeled me to my cabin and just 'dumped' me there with no way to get to boat drill, was not good. that ordeal was memorable, but not for the right reason.

that one gets his/her cabin cleaned, beds made, fresh towels, etc. should not be reason for commendation; these are expected and paid for.

as for food, it is average at best. mdr, lido or otherwise. pinnacle is wonderful, but it should be, given the extra charge.

i have one more cruise on maasdam, because it serves the itinerary i booked: ft. laud to montreal. and on my last such itinerary, i had sewage back up in my bathroom two times, and i had to schlep my stuff up to the men's showers on lido just to get a decent shower.

now, how is that so great? so, tell me again, just why maasdam is so 'special' with hal ships. i mean, crew/stewards change all of the time. my stewards ali and joe, who i loved, won't be there this time. and 'my wonderful' roldan' on the aft of lido, won't be there either.

just want to know specifics on why maasdam is so special. to me, it is a decent ship, given hal's sinking standards, but no more. enlighten me.

i just do not understand all of this hyperbole over the maasdam. i've sailed this ship a number of times, though not sail's 30 plus in deluxe suites. my room stewads have always been good, though the one on the last cruise who wheeled me to my cabin and just 'dumped' me there with no way to get to boat drill, was not good. that ordeal was memorable, but not for the right reason.

that one gets his/her cabin cleaned, beds made, fresh towels, etc. should not be reason for commendation; these are expected and paid for.

as for food, it is average at best. mdr, lido or otherwise. pinnacle is wonderful, but it should be, given the extra charge.

i have one more cruise on maasdam, because it serves the itinerary i booked: ft. laud to montreal. and on my last such itinerary, i had sewage back up in my bathroom two times, and i had to schlep my stuff up to the men's showers on lido just to get a decent shower.

now, how is that so great? so, tell me again, just why maasdam is so 'special' with hal ships. i mean, crew/stewards change all of the time. my stewards ali and joe, who i loved, won't be there this time. and 'my wonderful' roldan' on the aft of lido, won't be there either.

just want to know specifics on why maasdam is so special. to me, it is a decent ship, given hal's sinking standards, but no more. enlighten me.

If you are blind you will never see the light!

and harris jeffer, i consider your comment about being 'blind,' to be an insult not only to myself, but to others who may have sight problems. i don't wish you the torture of having to have a wheel chair get you to your room, the pain of having to walk up two decks to boat drill with no help, of having to tote stuff up to the lido deck spa to get a shower, of having to stand ankle-deep in sludge just to brush your teeth -- yes, i still have them. please don't be so cruel to those of us who still expect reasonable service, a nice cabin, and a helping hand when we need it.

Archived