Is this a routine email regarding boarding times?

"There will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, the ship is not permitted to begin boarding until the inspection has been completed. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we invite you to plan to arrive at the terminal based on the following times...."

"There will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, the ship is not permitted to begin boarding until the inspection has been completed. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we invite you to plan to arrive at the terminal based on the following times...."

No, the Coast Guard inspection is not routine. You are likely to have a delay in boarding.

Is this a ship returning from a transatlantic cruise?

Edited by clarea

No. It's for Allure sailing 11/2/2014

I'm on the same sailing and did not receive that email. When did you get it? I get all the other one's trying to get me to buy something!!!

I'm still going to go to the port at 10:30.

I'm on the same sailing and did not receive that email. When did you get it? I get all the other one's trying to get me to buy something!!!

I'm still going to go to the port at 10:30.

I got the email today...

"Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on Allure of the Seas, on Sunday, November 2, from Port Everglades.

There will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, the ship is not permitted to begin boarding until the inspection has been completed. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we invite you to plan to arrive at the terminal based on the following times. We invite our Suite, Crown & Anchor Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 12:30 PM and 4:00 PM. All other guests should refer to the timing based on your deck:

Decks 10 and 3: 1:00 PM.

Deck 14: 2:00 PM.

Decks 12, 11, and 7: 3:00 PM.

Decks 9, 8 and 6: 3:30 PM."

If you go at 10:30 I guarantee you that you will be outside waiting for several hours. These are periodic checks, totally out of the control of rccl. They are trying to manage not having 5000 people congregating outside the terminal until the ship is cleared. I have been there when rccl did not know there would be an inspection and people were fainting in the heat as we waited almost 4 hours to board......and we were a suite guest. The process may mover quicker, however if they find even one issue on inspection it could take even longer! Rccl cannot control this in any way. It is good to see they have learned from past experience and are managing this as best they can. Go when the email says you should.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I got the email today...

"Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on Allure of the Seas, on Sunday, November 2, from Port Everglades.

There will be a required U.S. Coast Guard inspection, the ship is not permitted to begin boarding until the inspection has been completed. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we invite you to plan to arrive at the terminal based on the following times. We invite our Suite, Crown & Anchor Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 12:30 PM and 4:00 PM. All other guests should refer to the timing based on your deck:

Decks 10 and 3: 1:00 PM.

Deck 14: 2:00 PM.

Decks 12, 11, and 7: 3:00 PM.

Decks 9, 8 and 6: 3:30 PM."

Hmmmm Seems to be the latest way of boarding Just got off Independence in Southampton and that was the same boarding times by deck numbers starting at 1:00pm with deck 10 Also sailing on Adventure this Saturday again out of Southampton with the same boarding times.

Regards.

Paul

It specifically says U.S. Coast Guard inspection then yes boarding will be delayed until it is concluded and the ship is cleared. There's no getting around it.

Yep, I just got it. It was delivered to my junk folder, but when they want to sell me something, it shows up in the regular folder. :)

Also, when these delays happen, which I understand the reasoning, do they let you wait inside, or make you stand outside?

Thanks.

Yep, I just got it. It was delivered to my junk folder, but when they want to sell me something, it shows up in the regular folder. :)

Also, when these delays happen, which I understand the reasoning, do they let you wait inside, or make you stand outside?

Thanks.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you sit inside as long as there are seats available.

WE arrive around 11:30, no matter what they say!

And if the OP takes your advice, they will end up standing in the parking lot until the CG clears the ship for reboarding. The last time we were caught by one of these inspections, the CG "locked down" the ship (no one on or off) for more than two hours, then permitted the debarking passengers who were "trapped" on board to clear customs before allowing any embarking passengers on board.

Every time we have received that email it has turned out to be true. Liberty of the Seas twice, and Carnival breeze once. Twice we waited in the terminal for over two hours, once with a toddler, not fun! We were able to wait inside but there were so many people in the terminal that they quickly ran out of seats.

Now when we get that email we actually pay attention to it and show up a little later than usual.

Edited by smileyperry

We got the email...since we are Platinum and in a suite this time looks like we squeak in at the 12:30 time. Since we are going in the night before we will now wait as long as possible to check out of our room and then we will just have to head over there and sit. It is what it is....I think check out is 11:00 and it is right at the pier. I will bring a book and hope we get a seat to wait.:rolleyes: Still super excited it does not matter if boarding is a little late.

My email for Oasis sailing 11/1 does not say anything about Coast Guard. Are they still strict on the boarding times? We were hoping to be on as earlier.

Our experience is that the suggested boarding times are not enforced in US ports.

Edited by clarea

Folks, here's the deal.

The USCG has the right to board and inspect any foreign flag ship that calls in a US port, to determine if SOLAS requirements are being met. This is called a "port state" inspection. The USCG has a goal of boarding every cruise ship twice a year, but budget and time constraints don't always allow this.

While the inspectors will be onboard almost from arrival, they will be dealing with inspections of equipment and safety systems, and normally don't interfere with disembarkation. After the ship "zero's out" the passenger count, the ship will be required to hold a crew fire and boat drill. If you have ever stayed onboard a ship when they do these drills (sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly), you will know that it takes about 2 hours, and only a very few crew are allowed to be exempted from drill to perform guest services.

The USCG will not allow new passengers to embark until the drill is completed to their satisfaction. Mistakes by crew during any part of the drill, can cause the USCG to require the entire drill to be redone, all the way back to having the crew go back to their quarters and put their lifejackets away, and the fire teams to take off their equipment and go back to their cabins. Technically, the USCG can make this repetition as many times as they want, until it is done right, but most commonly, they will have a 2nd drill, and then if there are minor problems, they will allow the ship to start boarding, and will advise the ship that they will be inspected at the next opportunity to see if the training has improved. The USCG is mandated to not substantially affect the "commerce" of the vessel. So, there will generally be a two hour delay in boarding, and the turn-around services may be slower than normal, though the cruise line is notified in advance of these inspections, and frequently bring shore contractors onboard to assist with turn-around. You must, however, be aware of the Carnival Triumph, which was inspected by the USCG after the dry docking from the fire, and the USCG found significant problems, and prohibited the ship from boarding guests (though the inspection was on a "lay day" prior to embarkation, so no real delay, until the equipment could be fixed. If it had not been fixed, or if the USCG finds a significant problem on the Allure (not likely), they could delay the ship from sailing until the problem is fixed.

These inspections and drills are serious, and they are the only time a US government agency checks the safety equipment and training of the ship and crew.

Once everything is cleared and they start the boarding process, will the boarding times on email be enforced? I already have my plans for arriving at the terminal and I have no where else to go. I am fine with the 1230ish boarding time but I cant wait there till 3pm with kids

Once everything is cleared and they start the boarding process, will the boarding times on email be enforced? I already have my plans for arriving at the terminal and I have no where else to go. I am fine with the 1230ish boarding time but I cant wait there till 3pm with kids

Barring the Coast Guard inspection event, I've not seen them enforce suggested boarding times out of US ports.

I sure hope they don't enforce the boarding times as I am on deck 7 and the rest of my party is on deck 10. Really don't want to be waiting out in the heat while my friends get to board at 1pm.

So will the cabins also be open at 1pm or will the inspection delay that?