Wine opener question

Boxers rock

Will HAL provide a wine opener sand glasses for wine consumption in your room for the wine you carry on? Is there a charge?

Your room steward will be happy to get both for you - just ask. They may not let you keep the opener though.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

On a past Oosterdam cruise, not only was there no corkscrew in the cabin, but the room steward did not have access to one either. The assistant beverage manager had to come to the room and open each bottle each time. After that we always brought our own.

Gary

It so easy to put a small, lightweight inexpensive cork screw in your suitcase, why not do so? You won't have to send a steward looking and you will have what you want when you want it. Any decent liquor store sells easy to pack openers at low cost.

Agree...We waited for a long time when we forgot one a couple years ago. (more than an hour for sure) The room stewards are super busy the day you board. So if you want to count on getting the bottle open especially that first day, bring your own.

Edited by eandj

It so easy to put a small, lightweight inexpensive cork screw in your suitcase, why not do so? You won't have to send a steward looking and you will have what you want when you want it. Any decent liquor store sells easy to pack openers at low cost.

Agreed that this is the easiest way. Unless you forget it or are traveling only with carryon bags (so do on short cruises) - the airlines are a problem then.

DaveOKC

If you look at your roll call and happen to see that we're on your ship, we will gladly lend you a corkscrew. We carry several. (Not that it indicates a problem, mind you.) :)

Agreed that this is the easiest way. Unless you forget it or are traveling only with carryon bags (so do on short cruises) - the airlines are a problem then.

DaveOKC

There is no problem with TSA unless the corkscrew has a foil cutter.

8 out of 10 answers suggest the OP bring his own corkscrew. I think he understands by now :rolleyes: and no further posts should be necessary! :eek:

That's very true, but just to be on the safe side, I'd advise that the OP bring his own cork screw......

There is no problem with TSA unless the corkscrew has a foil cutter.

Not that is is a problem since it is just as easy to pack it in one's luggage, but why would a foil cutter be a problem for the TSA? Doesn't it come under the 3" (if that is the right number) maximum for knives or scissors?

Not that is is a problem since it is just as easy to pack it in one's luggage, but why would a foil cutter be a problem for the TSA? Doesn't it come under the 3" (if that is the right number) maximum for knives or scissors?

We're talking the TSA here, who's motto is: Rules-we don't need no stinkin' rules:D

If you look at your roll call and happen to see that we're on your ship, we will gladly lend you a corkscrew. We carry several. (Not that it indicates a problem, mind you.)

I think we would cruise well together; here's the beginning of our cruise packing list:

Passports: check

Credit Cards: check

Corkscrews: check

The reason we bring a few is because on a previous cruise we had one break and almost had to snap the neck off the bottle to get into it. Our cabin steward took SO long to find another for us! LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We cruise with multiple corkscrews, too, (I cannot believe that I admit that :D ) so have never actually LOOKED in the onboard shops for a corkscrew. But does anyone know if they are available for purchase? (Guess I could add to our collection, right?)

We cruise with multiple corkscrews, too, (I cannot believe that I admit that :D ) so have never actually LOOKED in the onboard shops for a corkscrew. But does anyone know if they are available for purchase? (Guess I could add to our collection, right?)

I never thought to look for them in the gift shops -- so don't know if they sell them.

But that wouldn't help anyone on embarkation day is they want to have wine for sail-away -- the shops open just as the ship is leaving or shortly afterwards.

I never thought to look for them in the gift shops -- so don't know if they sell them.

But that wouldn't help anyone on embarkation day is they want to have wine for sail-away -- the shops open just as the ship is leaving or shortly afterwards.

They do not. I look on every cruise as I already have quite a collection of crokscrews and would like to add HAL or any other cruise lines' if they had them.

They do not. I look on every cruise as I already have quite a collection of crokscrews and would like to add HAL or any other cruise lines' if they had them.

Thanks for that info. I guess I won't be leaving the "extra" corkscrews at home :eek: :D

Thanks for that info. I guess I won't be leaving the "extra" corkscrews at home :eek: :D

Good idea. You never know when a wine tasting or wine and cheese party will break out.

Thank you

Since we rarely even go into the ship's shops, I won't have to waste time on my next cruise checking this out.