Favorite Hawaiian Food Trucks?

RUDIMAY1

What are your favorite Hawaiian Food Trucks and where are they?

The food truck - street food is very popular now so how about some info?

I keep on hearing about one on the North Shore on Oahu that is good for shrimp. When I go to the PCC will it be nearby?

I think favorite North Shore shrimp trucks are very personal. Our favorite is Macky's which is located at the entrance to Haleiwa. The direction you will be approaching the PCC will determine which trucks are close. The Shrimp Shack in Hauula is really good if you are driving via Kaneohe. There are several trucks in Kuhuku, which is not far from PCC. Most of the trucks close around 6:30 p.m. so if you are thinking of dinner you need to keep this in mind. Picking up some beverages at the store and food from the shrimp trucks makes a great lunch or dinner on the beach. Enjoy. Cherie

If you hit it at the right time, you could sample a bunch of them at Eat the Streets.

http://www.eatthestreethawaii.com/

I personally like Giovanni's shrimp truck. The shrimp truck used in Hawaii 5-0 is now parked in the Hilo Hattie parking lot. (didn't try this one).

Great information with eat the street. I don't see any events at our time but maybe it is too early. We should be able to find some trucks while we are beaching on Waikiki for a days. I like all the different menus and new tastes. I am assuming that as we cruise the other islands the food trucks are out in full force for the tourists like us?

Thanks.

We always hit the shimp trucks on the North Shore, I don't why because honestly the food is just so so. But the experience is fun.

One other favorite stops for us is the Taco Trailer at the Hanalei Pier in Hanalei Kauai. Their Tacos and other items are the best we have eaten anywhere and very reasonably priced. There is a shrimp truck type of place West side of Kauai right before the turn off to Waimea Canyon. It's pretty good and worth the stop.

Burt

• 5 weeks later...

No food truck at the entrance to the PCC (Laie). But you will find Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Kahuku (10 minutes away/Google search) and a few more along the way. Any particular food you are interested in?

Do they have food other than the garlic shrimp and rice. I don't eat/like rice or food with garlic or butter. I like shrimp, but not garlicked with drawn butter. Are there alternatives to eat on the North shore. Most tours I have looked at seem to want to get you lunch from the trucks.

No food truck at the entrance to the PCC (Laie). But you will find Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Kahuku (10 minutes away/Google search) and a few more along the way. Any particular food you are interested in?

I would try anything. Just wondering if there is options for late lunch when we are at PCC? We will be at the luau but might need a break mid-way through the day.

I think all the shrimp trucks are so so and just tourist traps.

DUH!! But we ARE tourists!! We don't see shrimp trucks in our neighborhood. That is why we go different places and experience different things. If we don't enjoy them we do something else, if we do enjoy them we do them again.

'We also like Giovanni's garlic shrimp with butter sauce, but it is really messy to eat! The shrimp are cooked but not peeled, so you peel them yourself. When done we stop at the Turtle Bay Resort and use their lovely restroom to clean up!!

The last time we were on Oahu we went to Fumi's. It is also on the same north shore road. It is not a truck but a small stand with canvas covered picnic tables. There we had the coconut shrimp, and it was really good. Fumi's has quite a menu, not sure if Giovanni's has something other than shrimp.

DUH!! But we ARE tourists!! We don't see shrimp trucks in our neighborhood. That is why we go different places and experience different things. If we don't enjoy them we do something else, if we do enjoy them we do them again.

Some people just don't spend all day going from one tourist trap to another.

So, where do you live that no food truck has any shrimp something?

Finding local food is one of the enjoyments of travelling.

Things I have enjoyed.

Jerk Chicken and Red Stripe beers - Jamaica

Deli Rueben sandwiches - NY

Boiled peanuts - South Carolina

Oysters, crayfish, po boys, & hurricanes - New Orleans

Buffalo wings - Buffalo new york

Flying fish cutters - Barbados

Off the dock lionfish - Aruba

All you eat buffet - Las Vegas (okay might not count) lol

On this Hawaii - Vancouver cruise in a few weeks

Shrimp off food trucks - Hawaii

Dungeness crab - Victoria BC

It is a for the same reason that when tourists visit our area they try fresh boiled lobster and steamed clams.

The answer?

The local experience!

Edited by RUDIMAY1

Is it hard for you to believe that were some people live, there might not be food trucks? Not a single food truck where I live--and probably not one within 120 miles! And even then...it probably wouldn't have shrimp on it.

Innyhoo, I'm not much for shrimp, but I've heard there's some other good plate lunches to be gotten off the food trucks! Looking forward to sampling in about a month :)

Opal's Thai Food and Giovanni's shrimp truck!!!

I love seeing a local recommend Opal Thai! I'm hoping to take my DH there as he loves Thai food, which is pretty non-existen where we're from! I've read it can be hard to get into because it's so small and has scattered hours. Any advice to make sure we hit it at the right time?

Thanks Bucky, thanks to you and the internet I retrieved the menu and

http://giovannisshrimptruck.com/menu.php

the recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/giovannis-shrimp-scampi-498331

They have a facebook page also.

Now I hope it is one of the stops in my excursion.

And, thanks to you for the links! Are you going on a ship excursion? The times we have stopped at Giovanni's we had a rental car. Two other times we took the ship's excursion to the North Shore and those times we went to Fumi's as part of the tour. Enjoy! Oh, unfortunately, I didn't see mai tais being served at either place, but our favorite place for them is the "House Without A Key" at the Halekulani Hotel on Waikiki - their mai tais are really good (but expensive!) with an appetizer of coconut shrimp! It's the way we always end our day on Oahu just about sunset time! Aloha!

Our excursion is pre-cruise and we booked it through the PCC website. It is called the Ambassador Circle the Island and PCC luau with the Ha show. Long day but it should be an interesting and fun one. We didn't rent a car because we both commute and like a break from driving while on vacation.

My quest on this vacation is to find the perfect Mai Tai and house without keys is on my list.

I will be searching for info about Opal Thai.

Hopefully I will find a good food truck for lunch near Waikiki beach. Even though I would guess there is no way to go hungry around there. Plenty of food options.

Edited by RUDIMAY1

I love seeing a local recommend Opal Thai! I'm hoping to take my DH there as he loves Thai food, which is pretty non-existen where we're from! I've read it can be hard to get into because it's so small and has scattered hours. Any advice to make sure we hit it at the right time?

Lots of great tips on yelp! http://www.yelp.com/biz/opal-thai-food-haleiwa?ref=yelp-android

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

We live in Hawaii....on the Big Island, but when we go to Oahu, we play tourist all the time. There are no food trucks here where we live, so we definitely hit the shrimp trucks (or other local food trucks) whenever we can when we are on Oahu! Yum :)

Rudymay1 we stayed at the Hilton a few days before our 3/1 cruise and we found a shrimp truck in the parking lot at the beach there. We had garlic shrimp and fish tacos that came with amazing garlic fries. I believe the name was Gillian's Beach Shack and it was a huge hit with our family. We also ate a few breakfasts and our first dinner at a diner that was across the street from the Hilton called the Wailana Coffee House. They had really good Mai Tai's for $4!