Safety in Ephesus??

judla

Go. You will have no issues whatsoever.

We are very thankful to those misinformed North American TA's and to CNN for causing people not to book Med cruises to Turkey and Greece over the past few years.

We were able to get fabulous balcony pricing on early Oct. 12 Med cruises (three of them) because the high vacancy rate on cruise ships. Don't think we will see that pricing ever again.

I have a "reality challenged" BIL who refuses to go on a cruise ship, or even an airplane... :(

...even though he has almost killed himself (and my sister) TWICE...

...in totaled automobiles on the highway. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Sounds like your bil has a lot of personal issues:eek:

With the world situation like it is now how safe is it to travel to Ephesus? We had been planning a cruise next fall which included that port and now my sister is afraid to go because Turkey is so close to Syria. I know it is difficult to project a year from now, I just wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have been there, it is a long ways from Syria... problems in Turkey have been limited to Istanbul in the past. When you go, if there is a tour off the ship, that should be your clue that it is safe. The ship would not run a tour if there was a threat. I would not have any concerns based on what I know now about the area. I will be there in another month.

I'm there again in Nov for the third time, it honestly never occurred to me not to go, it's fabulous. Take a look at a map of Turkey and its border with Syria , nowhere near. Go and enjoy.

Edited by Deeliteful

Statistically, some US cities-Miami, Philadelphia, etc, are FAR MORE dangerous to personal safety than most foreign ports.

It was not many years ago that TA's in Great Britain were warning travellers about crime in Florida...and they still may be.

Statistically, some US cities-Miami, Philadelphia, etc, are FAR MORE dangerous to personal safety than most foreign ports.

It was not many years ago that TA's in Great Britain were warning travellers about crime in Florida...and they still may be.

DW and I have walked around many back streets in Istanbul (multiple times) and loved every minute. There is no way we would do that in Miami, Detroit, much of LA, etc.

Hank

and the guys selling fake leather jackets in Kusadasi :D

I have two genuine replica watches that stopped working as soon as we cleared the harbour.... I do have a very nice leather jacket however..

I love Ephesus and would love to go back again just to take advantage of that 5 year warrantee...

Uh, we bought a $1500 pocket book for DW for $45. Are you suggesting it might not be the real thing?;)

Uh, we bought a $1500 pocket book for DW for $45. Are you suggesting it might not be the real thing?;)

Of course it is! It is a "genuine fake"! :D

Edited by Aloha 1

Thank all of you for your responses. I think my dh and I will still plan on going. I just hope my sister and her dh change their minds. We have been wanting to go on this cruise for such a long time. It is one of those bucket list things and cruising won't be the same without them.:(

If you watch toooooo much media, you will think the whole world is dangerous. I was just off the Freedom yesterday and talked to a Turkish waiter I had met and he said just the same, about the Media. But he did say, near the boarder could be some issues, not specific, but every where else according to his mother was OK.

Heck the chance of being in a terrorist event, is a lot less than being in a major automobile wreck on the way to the port.

Having said that, putting ones self in harms way is always a concern when traveling. Even in our family and we consider rather ourselves experienced travelers.

We were on the Equinox in July. Visited Ephesus and stayed 3 nights in Istanbul. We had my two sons and a three year old in our party, and we felt safe - as safe as one could be in any tourist spot. The only clue I had in both cities that there might be issues were the police and soldiers toting machine guns in tour spots like the Hagia Sofia and also at the police station next to put hotel. Then again, their presence made me feel safer.

Turkey was on my bucket list and we want to go back...don't let the press scare you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app