Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I am on Breakaway today. Starting this sailing, all room service charges regardless of time receive a $7.95 charge!:mad: Will upload a picture of the new menu when I get back.

I am very upset about this. We love breakfast on the balcony some days before tours and late night snacks. I can't wait for the NCL apologists to defend this one. We received no notice of this increase prior to the cruise and I believe (although may be mistaken) that room service was always listed in the complimnetary dining section on the website.

I am on Breakaway today. Starting this sailing, all room service charges regardless of time receive a $7.95 charge!:mad: Will upload a picture of the new menu when I get back.

I am very upset about this. We love breakfast on the balcony some days before tours and late night snacks. I can't wait for the NCL apologists to defend this one. We received no notice of this increase prior to the cruise and I believe (although may be mistaken) that room service was always listed in the complimnetary dining section on the website.

Like the balcony smoking rule change this should have been announced with a respectable time lapse before implimentation. Some people need to budget for it. Or at least plan for it.

This former NCL Cheerleader is dismayed. When others said NCL "nickled and dimed", I defended NCL. But, sigh. Maybe it is true.

I have a little child in the room and we planned on having several meals in the room when she is/becomes restless/naps, etc. I will be going to guest services tomorrow because this really alters our whole cruise...

I am not going to let it ruin our vacation but this really angers and upsets us.

Doggfan7 - OMG, I suspected that I "smell" something when I ask our very, very helpful room steward about the Breakfast & Room Service Menu as they're nowhere to be found and she had a funny look about it - got one & took it with me. Going to post the "old" edition here for reference.

Thanks for passing along the update like I did last week as we turned over the Breakaway this morning to your group. This should make for one very interesting M&G tomorrow but watch them take off after their remarks - should you read this. Assumed you have access to satellite internet with the MB data plan, enjoy the cruise - BA is becoming the trend-setting for change ... for our convenience.

I last ordered late afternoon Room Service on Wednesday at GSC and it was still free, there're plenty of Breakfast Room Service yesterday & this Sunday morning. Actually, let me double check my final invoice from the BA this morning to be sure, in case they sneaked it in somehow & buried with the OBC adjustments. I also noticed lots of folks with wrapped takeout from O'Sheehans going back to their rooms ... hmmm. Sort of uncommon - what's next, start charging for takeout orders.

Obviously, things got flipped and turnaround quick - TODAY !!

Edited by mking8288

Wow! That must have gone into affect today. We just got off the Sun and did not pay anything for room service. That really sucks!

According to the room service employee, it went into affect yesterday for new sailings.

Hmmm... was on the Jade 3/11 and had to ask for room service menus (we got the normal breakfast cards but the actual menu was just a print out off a computer). Wonder if this is related and they were working on switching out the menus or just a fluke.

Even coffee and pastry are $7.95 ??? NCL has one of the most limited room service menus. Sounds to me as if they are trying to do away with it completely. That is an outlandish charge, even if the new menu has complete meals. I hope it is not fleet wide but just an experiment on the Breakaway. We will be on the Jewel in less than two weeks

How nice to receive this OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from NCL DIRECTLY !

I would guess that as a cost savings gesture Room Service is now going to be a "Do It Yourself" venture.

Put a bath robe on and slumber up to the buffet and slap some food together and take it back to your stateroom - NO tips or gratuities required.

$8 bucks + Grats per serving x a 7 day cruise = $56 + Grats per voyage in UNPLANNED EXPENSES !

Since there is no tray just hope some crumbs don't fall off the plate or coffee spilled on the way back.

Nice going NCL with the advanced upgraded Room Service "UNANNOUNCED" !

BUT WAIT! - a response from NCL - Please !

Is this on all ships in the fleet ?

Outside of the late evening-morning hours - at all other times ?

You certainly would not expect this if in a suite ?

More detailed information would be appreciated ?

Oh and a funny thing happened on the posting at the CC Forum - the prices are they going UP or down ? LOL !

I hope this is a joke....:mad::mad::eek:

For everything, everytime, including breakfast??!!