Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

My normal room service is 2 large pots of coffee and whole milk. If this true, my new order will be 4 pots of coffee, a BLT, pastries., a club sandwich, a burger, some fries, hell I might just order 1 of everything on the menu. If you want to charge me another BS fee, I will make it worth my while. When the food costs triple for them maybe they will rethink these trumped up charges. I wonder what else DelRio does all day besides thinking of new ways to open peoples wallets. That man is really just out of control. I can only imagine what Kevin is thinking as he watches this man destroy what it took Kevin years to build.

Seems to me DelRio wasn't happy just destroying 1 company, now he wants to do the same to NCL.

BTW, I will then clean out 2 pots and leave them in the cabinet for the rest of the week and I will just go get my coffee myself.

If this is true is it possible that it is jut for the heavy Easter week?

Disney parks raises meal plan prices and even restricts some menu option during Easter and Christmas holiday periods.

Disney does NOT do that.

Oh man... I just booked our first NCL cruise for November and now I'm wondering if we should cancel while we can. We were splurging for the first time and getting a 2 bedroom suite and bringing Grandma. My son will only be 1.5 yr old! Room service was one of the reasons I thought this type of vacation would work for us right now. Are they seriously going to charge for room service in the suites?! This is absurd. :mad:

This we do not know yet. It will either remain complimentary as the butler is being tipped by you, or they'll make it 14.99!

We are in a suite in June, we'll see!

I hope someone from NCL comments on this thread.

In one month they have raised the DSC, put on an 18% gratuity and now a $7.95 room service charge? Are they trying to pi## people off? How can they justify this? Oh, that's right, they don't have to.

I love NCL cruises but now, with all going on, I doubt we'll do another one and have to look for another line. Not just because of the room service charge but like others have said, everything now has an extra charge on it.

We use room service every morning for 2 pots of coffee, a fruit plate and a sweet roll. That makes our cruise enjoyable to start the day off like that.

What's next NCL..charging for every roll of toilet paper that is used in each cabin?

When people book a cruise , they not only look at the total cost of the cruise but what is and is not included. This entire month of upcharges go a long way in why to look for another line to cruise with.

Right now NCL's fares are some of the lowest around. Everyone wants low fares and lots of free UBP, UDP, etc. There has to be a way for the company to make a profit.

In spite of all the whining on this thread the vast majority of all cruisers NEVER use room service. This is going to have minimal impact.

If you don't like these fees, you can always sail Seaborne, Silversea, Regent, or Sea Dream they don't impose any of them. Oh that's right they average about $500 per person per day for their fares.

If the other cruise lines were smart, they would start with the free drinks / dining, etc., now to catch the business NCL is going to lose. Celebrity is doing it, but only on limited cruises.

Celebrity didn't just start the UDP or UBP because of NCL> They along with a few other lines started these promos a while ago. In fact, before NCL is some cases.

That's just way too steep of a surcharge. If they're going to charge that much, they need to redesign the menu. The stuff they have on it now, isn't worth it.

I agree. We order RS breakfast daily & would be happy to pay the surcharge for a hot room breakfast. To us, $7.95 would be more than worth it. That said, a surcharge on top of the lousy breakfast menu they've had is ridiculous.

Thank you airlines for paving the way. Next charge by ncl is bound to be 25$ for each bag brought on board. Oops....better not give management any more swell ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Noooooooooooo..... we're okay with the added 18% gratuity at specialties & would be thrilled to be able to pay $7.95 for an improved breakfast menu. That is, if the menu improves. I realize there's a good chance it won't. Baggage fees would be a different story. The airlines already break us up on baggage. We'd definitely be looking elsewhere, if a cruise line started charging per suitcase. The fare would have to be a really good deal to justify it. Hey, everyone draws the line somewhere. :D

I feel like I was a victim of a con job, the old "bait and switch", every time I come on this board NCL has either raised the price of something or eliminated something. We cruise in 6 days so it is too late to cancel.

We booked on NCL because of the itinerary and the timing we normally sail on X, the 1st thing I found out after booking was that there was no hot breakfast on NCL, my bad should of found a room service menu before booking, but I figured I could get a pot of coffee from room service and run down to get my wife her breaky, now I am going to have to bring a 60oz coffee cup on board as I am not paying 8.00 for a pot of coffee. We also liked a snack before bed from room service, guess it is "takeout" from the Pub now.

We bought the UDP and then they added the 18% gratuity, not sure how that affects our UDP.

There were a couple of other things also that I can't think of right now. Pretty sure this will be our 1st and last NCL cruise as we are booked on X again next year on the Free Drinks, Free Grats + 300 OBC promo.

I don't mind paying for things, but to have all these changes sort of thrust upon you after final payment with no recourse is really disappointing.

Nice ncl..most probably my next ncl getaway cruise is going to be the last..and by the way ncl first thing i am going to do when i board is to remove dsc...and whatever else gratuity i find..you must pay your emploees its not my job anymore.i am so pissed off at the moment..you managed to turn one very loyal fan to someone that doesnt even know if he wants to cruise again with you..doing things that i would never imagine like removing dsc..thats it ncl from now on i tip WHEN i like IF i like HOW MUCH i like

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've cruised and enjoyed Princess in the past but wanted to give another line a try since we'll have an infant in tow the next trip. We were jazzed to try RCCL out of Baltimore, but they switched the Bermuda runs from 7 to 5 days, with only an afternoon and morning in port. We checked out, and booked, the Breakaway since it looked great with lots of options. I generally don't mind paying to customize or upgrade specific services (or at least have the option), but this charge seems absurd, not to mention the ham-fisted way it's been implemented. I was looking forward to room service in the event the boy needs downtime, but I don't see us paying $8 for limited options. I'll guess I'll just have to hoof it to the buffet.

Also, im curious as to the wording of the contract. I get that prices change, etc., but it seems that changing what is included differs from changing the DSC or the price of a specialty restaurant. It would seem that they couldn't, say, start charging for the buffet or MDR without there being some breach issues. But I'm not a contracts lawyer.

Booked NCL because got sick of RCI's pricing games. Good thing I still have time to bail on NCL. I will not pay $7.95 for room service on a cruise ship. Out of the question. I had been asking this board for current RS menus; now I guess it doesn't matter.

If this is true, I wonder if this applies to Haven guest as well. I always order steak and eggs from the Haven Restaurant , my mother and sister usually get something light, and my daughter prefers the buffet. We are on the Escape in January. I am not a morning person and I hate the idea of having to get dressed to have a sit down breakfast in the Haven Restaurant :mad:

Several thoughts come to mind when I read this: 1-if it is true and we still don't know for sure, it sucks. 2-Thank God we are not room service users. We used it one night when hubby had a problem with his leg and didn't want to even walk to dinner and we use it for a quick bite to eat when we have an early tour (usually once during a cruise) 3- This wouldn't hurt so bad if they had spread the new charges out a little: first the raised gratuities, then the 19% pm specialty dining rooms and now this? What are they thinking? 4-My gut feeling, like everything else, we are going to see other lines copy NCL or NCL will have to rethink this? My guess other lines will start adding more charges. Remember NCL is the leader in the industry when it comes to inovations. This isn't always good, but it is true. They were the first to start freestyle, now most lines have some form of it, they were the first to have specialty dining, now all lines have it and on and on. I think they were the first to have a private islnad and first to cruise the Caribbean for starters.

Now, the only positive thing about this and I certainly am not defending them in anyway, it will cut down on wasted foods and other than the principle of this, it still isn't a huge cost. Where can you get coffee, juice and a roll for 2 or more people for $7.95? And, unless this has changed as well, those in balcony cabins or higher do have a coffee maker in their cabin thank goodness. BTW, I bring up the wasted food because how many of us have gone down the hall and seen room service trays sitting outsdie the cabin still with 1/2 or more of the ordered food on the tray?

NCL's marketing wonks seem to think that the cruising public is stupid. Notice that all of the recent hikes have been to $XX.95 from what were once round dollar amounts.

Swallow all this crap - more fool me - think I am stupid enough to swallow all this crap - more fool you.

Now, the only positive thing about this and I certainly am not defending them in anyway, it will cut down on wasted foods and other than the principle of this, it still isn't a huge cost. Where can you get coffee, juice and a roll for 2 or more people for $7.95?

You're not defending them...by defending them? What was included in the fare yesterday is $8 today. That's quite a hike, don't you think? And where can I get that? Included in the fare for all other cruises. We use RS probably 5X on a cruise for coffee, yogurts, fruit, etc. I will not pay $8 a day extra for these things.

Several thoughts come to mind when I read this: 1-if it is true and we still don't know for sure, it sucks. 2-Thank God we are not room service users. We used it one night when hubby had a problem with his leg and didn't want to even walk to dinner and we use it for a quick bite to eat when we have an early tour (usually once during a cruise) 3- This wouldn't hurt so bad if they had spread the new charges out a little: first the raised gratuities, then the 19% pm specialty dining rooms and now this? What are they thinking? 4-My gut feeling, like everything else, we are going to see other lines copy NCL or NCL will have to rethink this? My guess other lines will start adding more charges. Remember NCL is the leader in the industry when it comes to inovations. This isn't always good, but it is true. They were the first to start freestyle, now most lines have some form of it, they were the first to have specialty dining, now all lines have it and on and on. I think they were the first to have a private islnad and first to cruise the Caribbean for starters.

Now, the only positive thing about this and I certainly am not defending them in anyway, it will cut down on wasted foods and other than the principle of this, it still isn't a huge cost. Where can you get coffee, juice and a roll for 2 or more people for $7.95? And, unless this has changed as well, those in balcony cabins or higher do have a coffee maker in their cabin thank goodness. BTW, I bring up the wasted food because how many of us have gone down the hall and seen room service trays sitting outsdie the cabin still with 1/2 or more of the ordered food on the tray?

If your concern is REALLY "wasted food," I think another way to view this is the increased likelihood of folks OVER-ordering from room service. If you're just losing a buck or two (tip) to get some coffee and pastries, that's one thing, but if you're getting wacked $8, I think the reaction of most people would be to maximize what they order, "just in case."

I see the opposite happening, people will order more if they are being charged for it. They will not want 2 charges in a day so they will order more "in case they want it later", and when they don't it will wind up outside their door.

Penny wise, Dollar stupid.

Edited by iimmie

Right now NCL's fares are some of the lowest around. Everyone wants low fares and lots of free UBP, UDP, etc. There has to be a way for the company to make a profit.

In spite of all the whining on this thread the vast majority of all cruisers NEVER use room service. This is going to have minimal impact.

If you don't like these fees, you can always sail Seaborne, Silversea, Regent, or Sea Dream they don't impose any of them. Oh that's right they average about $500 per person per day for their fares.

When we looked at cruises for 10/16 CCL came in $800 less than NCL (and none of the choice options available add enough value for us). Now, CCL may not be as good as NCL in many areas but to us NCL is not worth $800 more. I am also aware that Del Rio does not consider CCL to be competition, but there appear to be many who would sail with CCL just as easily as with NCL.

I noticed on one of the menus posted here it said "Plus 18% gratuity".

18% of what? Unless ordering soda/booze there is no charge or prices for the food/coffee/pastries/breakfasts/lunch sandwiches/etc.

So.....18% of nothing is nothing.

However, it still says $3.95 charge if after midnight, except for pizza and soda.

Harriet

it still isn't a huge cost. Where can you get coffee, juice and a roll for 2 or more people for $7.95?

That isn't the point Nita, they are charging for something that used to be included in the cruise fare. Where else can you get coffee, juice and a roll for 2 or more people for nothing? On all of the other cruise lines.

ac190b3b38fdb232827ea053b2d46c5d.jpg

I hope they are going to use some of the $7.95 to hire someone to update their website! Still says included as of this morning.

Seems to me if you entered into a contract and paid for your cruise and the switch came after they would need to honor the old free system.

Oh well we are sailing in 6 days and looks like we will get extra exercise heading up

To bring food back to the room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the opposite happening, people will order more if they are being charged for it. They will not want 2 charges in a day so they will order more "in case they want it later", and when they don't it will wind up outside their door.

Penny wise, Dollar stupid.

You and Sundercruiser, I never thought about it that way. I was thinking more in terms of just not ordering period. People come in from a night of partying or whatever, decide to order room service, it arrives, they decide they are too tired and they just waste the food. I was thinking, many people would just forget room service if they had to pay. The same with an early order, I hadn't thought about them ordering enough for the rest of the day for snacking and then just wasting it.

Sparks, do you honestly think other lines are not going to follow NCL? They sure have on everything else. Auto tipping or DSC, whatever you want to call it was started by NCL I believe or they were one of the earliest to hop on board.

Edited by newmexicoNita