Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Lots of tears on this thread...NCL could have put out a statement, but then again in the bigger picture it isn't such a big deal. Don't like it, don't use it. Hurts too much, then don't sail NCL. BTW DCL just jacked most of the 2016 itinerary up about 20%, :eek: but room sorbies is still grata.

It would probably be wise to make a copy or save the following links in file of the Cruise Fare Includes webpage plus the cruise contract dated 3/2014 before it gets changed on the website. If you plan on disputing or subtracting from DSC it may be helpful to have this in hand.

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

:(

What trays? Room service delivery has the trays, buffet doesn't; just heavy plates thst hard to lift with one hand if its loaded up too much. If you want alot of coffee, you have to bring your own travel mug that spillproof because the cups are tiny and walk back can be long....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I can't believe there are no trays in the buffet. It must be really hard to carry food back to the tables. What do people do who must use a cane? There are times when I don't have very good balance due to inner ear problems. I can't imagine having to balance plates of food and coffee/drinks at the same time. Maybe I'll have to go to the dollar store and buy a couple of cheap trays for myself! I can always throw them away.

I am on Breakaway today. Starting this sailing, all room service charges regardless of time receive a $7.95 charge!:mad: Will upload a picture of the new menu when I get back.

I am very upset about this. We love breakfast on the balcony some days before tours and late night snacks. I can't wait for the NCL apologists to defend this one. We received no notice of this increase prior to the cruise and I believe (although may be mistaken) that room service was always listed in the complimnetary dining section on the website.

[/color

I asked this question on Facebook NCL page and a nice person (cruiser) stated that this is only on the Breakaway and Getaway. I think they are testing the waters on the newest ships to see if this will fly for the rest of the fleet. Needless to say This is great way to steer customers to another cruise line. Cruise lines don't need to be like the airlines and charge piece meal for services. All cruise lines should be transparent with costs so that a passenger can make an informed decision before booking a cruise.

Don't worry. According to the NCL cheerleaders, absolutely nobody is considering moving to another line because of these recent changes. In fact, NCL is doing a fantastic job, according to the cheerleaders! Great job, NCL!

Talk about spin! Nowhere did it say no one was considering quitting NCL. What was said was, so far none of the folks talking about it had done anything and were just following all of these threads around. Considering the move and canceling your reservation and moving are two different things. Once again, if hundreds or maybe thousands would cancel and state the reason for doing it, there might be some action. Complaining about it and staying with the cruise line does nothing to change things.

If all of these changes make the cost of my cruise go up $100 or so a week, I'm still way ahead of what I can get from another line.

Again, most of the tens of thousands of NCL cruisers per week, only a very small percentage are CC members. The rest have no idea of the changes and quite honestly, I don't think most of them care. There are about 5 (I think) active threads running now with a couple of thousand posts. The majority of the complaints come from probably less than 50 posters. I still contend the only way to affect change is to vote with your wallet.

Yesterday was the first time I've posted on any of these threads. It doesn't change anyone's mind either way. It's just a lot of noise.

I'm not exactly a "cheerleader", but I do like NCL's product in general.

One thought though. If several of you would get a group together and as a group (maybe 100 or so) and cancel your cruises together, you might get a response?

Edited by rvsullivan

We are in the exact same position as you. Have been on 19 other cruises but never Norwegian. Decided to give them a try on the May 31 cruise to Bermuda on the Breakaway. Think it will be our first and last. While we don't use room service much and always tip, this charge is way too high. We won't be back.

#delriotaxes

Enough said..

bring back Kevin!

Amen, under his leadership NCL shook off the "Walmart of cruise lines" title and the line ascended to a place of prominence among mainstream lines.

It appears the new guy's only experience is in luxury lines. So apparently his objective is to diminish the mainstream product to the point that it only appeals to bottom feeders, thus making the luxury brands more attractive to those in the middle ground. To which the obvious observation is, where do you have the most capacity?

:(:(:(

I'm looking forward to my first NCL sailing in June. However, with increased DSC, new additional gratuities on Specialty dining and now this charge, I'm looking forward to it a bit less. :mad:

I am reminded of Thenardier's song, "Master of the House" from Les Miserables.....

Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice

Two percent for looking in the mirror twice

Here a little slice, there a little cut

Three percent for sleeping with the window shut

When it comes to fixing prices

There are a lot of tricks he knows

How it all increases, all them bits and pieces

Jesus! It's amazing how it grows!

As you can see from my signature, I've also reserved a cruise with NCL for June of '16 but will have to seriously re-evaluate this in light of all the changes.

Brian

Why?

Sure the DSC increased $2.00 per day, but none of the other items that you mention have any impact on you unless you choose to utilize them.

I can't believe there are no trays in the buffet. It must be really hard to carry food back to the tables. What do people do who must use a cane? There are times when I don't have very good balance due to inner ear problems. I can't imagine having to balance plates of food and coffee/drinks at the same time. Maybe I'll have to go to the dollar store and buy a couple of cheap trays for myself! I can always throw them away.

There's always crew available to help with trays and seating. It's never been a problem, won't be a problem now.

I'm looking forward to my first NCL sailing in June. However, with increased DSC, new additional gratuities on Specialty dining and now this charge, I'm looking forward to it a bit less. :mad:

I am reminded of Thenardier's song, "Master of the House" from Les Miserables.....

Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice

Two percent for looking in the mirror twice

Here a little slice, there a little cut

Three percent for sleeping with the window shut

When it comes to fixing prices

There are a lot of tricks he knows

How it all increases, all them bits and pieces

Jesus! It's amazing how it grows!

As you can see from my signature, I've also reserved a cruise with NCL for June of '16 but will have to seriously re-evaluate this in light of all the changes.

Brian

How much for Platinum bed bugs?

Apparently only one free meal Platinum per cabin not per guest if both Platinum.

Also two weeks ago the platinum chocolates gifts had reduced from a 8-12 chocolate box to a small box of 4!

If that's true, now they are hurting me where I "live". We have never ordered room service. I didn't mind the scaling down of the box of chocolates. I didn't mind the "one champagne" per cabin. But when they start issuing just one specialty restaurant voucher for multiple platinums who travel in the same cabin, now there won't be much perk to having my husband along versus sailing solo. LOL

Edited by logan25

So if meant a pot of coffee its gonna cost me $7.95? That's ridiculous and the coffee stinks anyway.

Wonder if it includes those in Suites as we're paying the Butler at the end of the cruise......so do we also have to pay $7.95 on our breakfast we order, our Dinner we order to our room? That's $111.30 for 7 days if we order Coffee/Danish each morning and lunch or dinner each day. Where does that money go? To NCL or the butler delivering the food. If it goes to the Butler, we have to take that into consideration when tipping him at the end of the week!

Then again, why give Suites/Havens a butler?

What's next, a 'convenience fee' for using the Concierge?

Harriet

See this is one of tose s insidious things people don't pay attention to until after the damage is done - Did you know that a good way to control how much you eat is by weighting the how heavy the plate is instead of using a tray? Its good way to control your eating especially if your dieting or eating healthy - if the plate(s) is too heavy, you're force to go back 2nd time for the drink or reconsider having that much food on the plates. Pretty much getting trained on eating less - unless of course, you bring your spillproof travel cups / mug and tote/ bag to hold the drink.

Those crying about the nickel and diming / costs, don't think outside box when it comes to saving money / time. Where's there's a will, there's a way - they made room service expensive, so bring a travel mug of your favorite size or bring a french press plus put the milk/sugar/ whatever in bag and take it back to your room. If you're a solo traveler in a studio room, you have the studio lounge for your coffee /expresso and if you're friends with soloer in those rooms ask them to hold the door for you. Its not the end of the world - there's plenty of ways to get around the room service issue, you just think its the end all of end alls.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk