Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

My normal room service is 2 large pots of coffee and whole milk. If this true, my new order will be 4 pots of coffee, a BLT, pastries., a club sandwich, a burger, some fries, hell I might just order 1 of everything on the menu. If you want to charge me another BS fee, I will make it worth my while. When the food costs triple for them maybe they will rethink these trumped up charges. I wonder what else DelRio does all day besides thinking of new ways to open peoples wallets. That man is really just out of control. I can only imagine what Kevin is thinking as he watches this man destroy what it took Kevin years to build.

Seems to me DelRio wasn't happy just destroying 1 company, now he wants to do the same to NCL.

BTW, I will then clean out 2 pots and leave them in the cabinet for the rest of the week and I will just go get my coffee myself.

I was thinking the same thing. We have 7 cabins in a row on our next cruise. I think my order will be for all of us. Two can play at this game, NCL.

well if it is true I propose that in protest everyone who would normally have ordered room service just goes to the buffet in their pyjamas, nightdress, underwear or just bare skin :D whatever you would have been wearing to consume your room service breakfast . :D oh dont forget your slippers

A pyjama protest whos in ??????????

Celebrity didn't just start the UDP or UBP because of NCL> They along with a few other lines started these promos a while ago. In fact, before NCL is some cases.

I never said Celebrity was doing it because of NCL. I said Celebrity is doing it now, but only on select sailings.

well if it is true I propose that in protest everyone who would normally have ordered room service just goes to the buffet in their pyjamas, nightdress, underwear or just bare skin :D whatever you would have been wearing to consume your room service breakfast . :D oh dont forget your slippers

A pyjama protest whos in ??????????

Umm... People do that anyway, so its not a shocker to me. Although, I do have to wonder how bad the line cutting will be for hash browns and bacon, those things are addictive.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I was thinking the same thing. We have 7 cabins in a row on our next cruise. I think my order will be for all of us. Two can play at this game, NCL.

That is my same thought (only 3 cabins in a row though). Can you imagine 2 or 3 ( or in your case 5 or 6) waiters all coming down hall carrying our room service orders at the same time??:D

Sorry NCL but you asked for it!!

And like I said in a previous post.....NO tip as I consider the 7.95 and the recent additional DSC NCL has implemented to cover that!!:o

Like the balcony smoking rule change this should have been announced with a respectable time lapse before implimentation. . . .

AGREE!

Just off the Gem and while we didn't use room service, I did notice the menu cards you hang on the door were nowhere to be found.

New stealth charges. . .

Can't be coincidence there is a new guy at the helm.

Recently decided to come back to NCL and booked cruises in Oct 2015 and Jan 2016---I admit this thread has me researching other options. I'm one who orders a light breakfast and coffee to enjoy in my stateroom daily so this just slays me. What a bonehead move on the part of NCL management and lousy, lousy communication---though I'm not sure how they could word a notice that what used to be included in your fare at the time of your deposit is no longer so and put a happy spin on it.

I'm going to start protesting as soon as I've used up my free UBP, free UDP and free gratuities.

stir-the-pot.jpg

Great post.

I kinda hope the pj protest happens, can't you imagine all the giggles watching these very few folks in the buffet in their pj's. not to mention all the utube and Facebook and Instagram posting that will be on the Internet forever..it will be way too funy.

Wonder if it includes those in Suites as we're paying the Butler at the end of the cruise......so do we also have to pay $7.95 on our breakfast we order, our Dinner we order to our room? That's $111.30 for 7 days if we order Coffee/Danish each morning and lunch or dinner each day. Where does that money go? To NCL or the butler delivering the food. If it goes to the Butler, we have to take that into consideration when tipping him at the end of the week!

Then again, why give Suites/Havens a butler?

What's next, a 'convenience fee' for using the Concierge?

Harriet

Harriet---including suites in this would be the last straw for me..we already pay a "premium" for suites .! ( and especially with the proportionally higher DSC raises suites just experienced) AND we still have not been told IF Butlers were included in that raise.

We are in the exact same position as you. Have been on 19 other cruises but never Norwegian. Decided to give them a try on the May 31 cruise to Bermuda on the Breakaway. Think it will be our first and last. While we don't use room service much and always tip, this charge is way too high. We won't be back.

This post doesn't make sense. You don't use room service, but because the new charge is there and too high, you won't be back?:confused:

It would probably be wise to make a copy or save the following links in file of the Cruise Fare Includes webpage plus the cruise contract dated 3/2014 before it gets changed on the website. If you plan on disputing or subtracting from DSC it may be helpful to have this in hand.

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

:(

If they change the guest ticket contract prior to final payment you'll be required to agree to the new one before they will issue your edocs. It's happened to me several times. From paragraph 2:

"The terms herein shall be binding upon payment of the cruise fare by the Guest and Guest accepts and agrees to the terms upon presenting this Contract to the Carrier for boarding even if no payment of the cruise fare has been made."

Further, the contract is the sole agreement between the passenger and NCL, and supersedes all other representations. Also from paragraph 2:

"The Guest agrees that, except as expressly provided herein, this Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Guest and Carrier, and shall supersede and exclude any prior representations that may have been made in relation to the cruise to the Guest or anyone representing him/her by

anyone, including but not limited to anything stated in the Carrier's brochures, advertisements, and other promotional materials, by Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America employees or by third persons such as travel agents."

You can make all the copies of the current version of the contract and web site you want, but they won't be worth the paper they're printed on.

Edited by njhorseman

Just to toss another 'what if' into this thread..... ;)

Since the room services waiters were a voluntary duty for them because they could get cash tips when they delivered, how many will actually become servers now? If the added fee will be considered a tip and many here say they won't tip cash on top of that, you can bet that the service pool will be reduced and your order will take FOREVER to arrive. No incentive to have hot foods served hot and your tea water will be tepid....oh I could go on!

When we looked at cruises for 10/16 CCL came in $800 less than NCL (and none of the choice options available add enough value for us). Now, CCL may not be as good as NCL in many areas but to us NCL is not worth $800 more. I am also aware that Del Rio does not consider CCL to be competition, but there appear to be many who would sail with CCL just as easily as with NCL.

I have sailed with CCL and found it to be an excellent choice when we did it. Wasn't disappointed in all and out of all the cruises I have done, it ranked as my second favorite cruise! I am cruising with them again in a week, then back to a booked NCL cruise in June. I'm looking to book for November...I may just switch to CCL if this upcoming cruise is as good as the last one. :)

I can't believe there are no trays in the buffet. It must be really hard to carry food back to the tables. What do people do who must use a cane? There are times when I don't have very good balance due to inner ear problems. I can't imagine having to balance plates of food and coffee/drinks at the same time. Maybe I'll have to go to the dollar store and buy a couple of cheap trays for myself! I can always throw them away.

They do have trays, just not out for everyone to use. The staff has them and has pulled them out on several occasions to assist me with getting food for me and my young daughter. They don't give them to you though. They will hold them and put your filled plates on them and carry them to your table. Then once you empty your trays off of them, they take them back with them. ;)

Great post.

I kinda hope the pj protest happens, can't you imagine all the giggles watching these very few folks in the buffet in their pj's. not to mention all the utube and Facebook and Instagram posting that will be on the Internet forever..it will be way too funy.

It be like going to my neighborhood Burger king or corner / grocery store and I'll be like - "Did you buy that from Marshall's or Macys because it looks very posh and good on you? And hope you have put a bra on because looks like you're not..." Those fun discussions, they write themselves sometimes just by virtue...[emoji4]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Don't have time right now to read entire thread. We too just got off yesterday, but did not get to do room service. Tried a couple of times in the afternoon and could never get through to them. DH wanted a pizza. This was our first NCL cruise but not sure how soon I will book another. Too many extra charges. I will do a review soon.

If that's true, now they are hurting me where I "live". We have never ordered room service. I didn't mind the scaling down of the box of chocolates. I didn't mind the "one champagne" per cabin. But when they start issuing just one specialty restaurant voucher for multiple platinums who travel in the same cabin, now there won't be much perk to having my husband along versus sailing solo. LOL

We're just of the Gem this past Friday - we are both platinum. My DH and I EACH got a specialty dinner certificate for 2 and we EACH got the laundry perk. Only 1 bottle of "champagne" and 1 small box of chocolates (4 pieces). So, as others have said, I don't think the restriction is being implemented on the ships.

That is my same thought (only 3 cabins in a row though). Can you imagine 2 or 3 ( or in your case 5 or 6) waiters all coming down hall carrying our room service orders at the same time??:D

Sorry NCL but you asked for it!!

And like I said in a previous post.....NO tip as I consider the 7.95 and the recent additional DSC NCL has implemented to cover that!!:o

Won't take long for NCL to limit the number of items that can be placed on one order.

And, I do believe, that if this new "convenience fee" was an April Fool's joke, NCL would have posted a reply by now considering how many cruisers are upset by this.