Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Copied from NCL Facebook page just now!

Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

Just got off my first NCL cruise this past week.

Ordered room service once and honestly the food was disgusting.

Also ordered a large pizza and was aware of the $5.00 charge when the pizza was delivered cheese was cold looked like plastic. I was not really impressed with NCL after my cruise was over so I might be cancelling my upcoming cruise especially after this ridiculous upcharge! They really do nickel and dime you

Edited by Georgie562

Here is the response i got from NCL

Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

All those rich New Yorkers :)

You can't POSSIBLY know how many people use room service. And the amount of activity on this thread is clear evidence that you are absurdly wrong.

Don't dare try to find wiggle room for NCL on this one. What they re doing is simply indefensible.

This thread is so small of people who cruise that post or even know what's going on. So you can't judge either.

Well...if you can't believe everything, then I have no reason to believe the rep either, right? ;)

Exactly my point ;)

Which brings me back to MY mantra......NCL NEEDS TO RESPECT THEIR PAX AND IMPROVE COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can't POSSIBLY know how many people use room service. And the amount of activity on this thread is clear evidence that you are absurdly wrong.

Don't dare try to find wiggle room for NCL on this one. What they re doing is simply indefensible.

Well, while you and I may agree that there should not be a fee, I don't think using "indefensible" is proper.

It is their business, and they are their ships....which gives them the complete right to run them however they choose. That is the only defense they need.

Our right to vote stops at our wallets.

As an aside...

Since room service is no longer a complimentary option, does it become free for anyone with the UDP? ;)

All those rich New Yorkers :)

And Connecticut, New Jersey, Massasscheuts, Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, England, France, Canada, etc.. - pretty much anyone who's rich, not just New York. If you can't afford the basic, then don't buy the extras. *shrug*

Edit- They're probably just testing which price most people are more likely to pay for the new room service charge. - pray neither groups fall for it.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Exactly my point ;)

Which brings me back to MY mantra......NCL NEEDS TO RESPECT THEIR PAX AND IMPROVE COMMUNICATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE

Yeah maybe...but from what I've been told, I can't believe that either.

Not saying if this is true or not, however, on the thousands of people on the 3/15/15 sailing I was the only one who posed about the 18% at specialties.

But someone else posted the pics from a different ship and then NCL respond that those pictures are true. I waiting for them to respond again, but that won't til end of next month since the PR department is pretty much non-existent right now.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Spoke to two managers who agreed that it was very unfair as we purchased something that was included and now without any notification it is not. They said they were instructed to not make any concessions or exceptions by corporate and they "understood" if we never sailed ncl again. This was their room service manager.

Is that $7.95 charge a DAILY CHARGE or for EACH INDIVIDUAL ORDER ???

Taking this one step further is that per individual or the whole cabin ???

Thus you would breakfast lunch and dinner for $7.95 or would it be $23.85 for a party of one ???

No matter what to pull these charges out of a hat like a magician is terribly bad customer relations for NCL.

And if as posted earlier this is a TEST for one or more ships - STATE THAT - so the rest the fleet doesn't have to run up the skull and crossbones of distress !!!

Here is the response i got from NCL

I wish I could read that menu that was posted early in this thread, because it did look larger. It does seem apparent that this is being tested, since the prices are drastically different on BA vs. GA. Hmmmm. I have always thought the room service menu was HORRIBLE, and if they are expanding it, that is a definitely a positive, BUT not if they are going to turn it into a sort of specialty restaurant with this ridiculous charge.

This is a very negative thing. I never used room service before but I always thought it was part of the plan to ease congestion at the MDR's as you'd have a certain percentage of people eating in their rooms.

That's a very high charge too.

Very disappointed.

This is a very negative thing. I never used room service before but I always thought it was part of the plan to ease congestion at the MDR's as you'd have a certain percentage of people eating in their rooms.

That's a very high charge too.

Very disappointed.

Yes, you will see increased congestion in the MDR and buffet now. My wife and I frequently use room service for breakfast, usually 4-5 times on a 7 day cruise. Our upcoming cruise on NCL in two weeks will be our last after this, but I'm sure that there a lot of people like us who will now schlep up to the buffet instead of paying $8 for cereal and tea.

Well I sail on the Getaway on Saturday and I am not impressed. I have now prepaid my service charge to keep to the original price and now they are charging for room service. This will not impress my husband and I'm pretty sure it will be our last NCL cruise if this is the case! How can they charge people extra for 2 weeks?!! Totally unfair! We did not get UBP or UDP included when we booked so no extras for us!

Very sneaky of NCL, especially since this is prime spring break time for elementary and high schools across the country. The ships will be loaded with kids and unaware parents ordering room service for them.

Good observation.....there will be a lot of VERY angry parents this week..when they see their bills....