Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I have my first cruise coming up on the Getaway before that I only cruised Carnival have to admit with all these new charges especially the room service one I will be going back to Carnival. That is alot of charges going up recently on Norweign. I don't like being nickle and dimed to death on cruises. I can get free room service on Carnival:)

Yes don't worry must have your freebies are still going to be there lol

NCL said:

"Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged."

One possible way to interpret this language is that SOME items off the RS menu will be no charge, while some others (perhaps new to the menu?) will include a charge. Then, in addition to whatever you were charged (or not charged), you will get whacked for the $7.95 postage and handling charge.

So there are still complementary options available for room service?

No, there are not. It says that a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. The way it is written that includes complimentary items. As they have written that, there are no more complimentary items.

I called Ncl and even though we all know they are notorious for having the wrong answers, they did inform me that the charge also applies for suites!! That is so ridiculous!

So much for "suite perks" and having specialty dining meals delivered to your room.

So there are still complementary options available for room service?

Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed

No, the way they have written it, the convenience charge applies to every order. They appear to be calling it "complimentary" because it is not a la carte pricing.

No, there are not. It says that a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. The way it is written that includes complimentary items. As they have written that, there are no more complimentary items.

But like I said its only for those two ships, I doubt it will become fleetwide.

Why not just cruise by yourself and not bring your small child? I promise you cruisers without kids will thank you.

You know, you really are being insulting to others.

Some people enjoy a family vacation. NCL never promoted itself to be Adults Only. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should check out some singles cruises rather than sail on ship which has options for ALL.

If you enjoy staying up all night in the club, more power to you. It's YOUR vacation. I won't tell you not to if you don't stick your nose in how I like to vacation.

Some people enjoy a family vacation. NCL never promoted itself to be Adults Only. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should check out some singles cruises rather than sail on ship which has options for ALL.

If you enjoy staying up all night in the club, more power to you. It's YOUR vacation. I won't tell you not to if you don't stick your nose in how I like to vacation.

Surely he is just trolling. At least, I hope so.

Edited by katon

I'm not being insulting I said why not go without your kids, I never said hey you have to or you should I'm simply saying its an option.

Surely he is just trolling. At least, I hope so.

How come anytime someone has a disagreement they have to be trolling? Like I said I'm simply saying its an option. as I said earlier nobody was defending me when Ncl banned smoking on the balconies and I understand why because it did not affect them. a lot of the non-smoking posters even said I'd rather be near a smoker than a loud annoying kids. all I was saying is if you choose to go without your kids a lot of the cruisers who don't have kids will thank you.

We just had a wonderful cruise on the Getaway (aft PH) .. Loved the food , enjoyed the shows and service was quite good. But the little add on's here and there really added up. Never before was I paying attention to all of the extra fee's , they were minor. Well no more. We burned through 1250 in OBC .

(Excursions were prepaid private's , prepaid gratuities and a bar setup and we had 3 platinum coupons for dinner) . So all of that OBC was spent on board

for drinks, ice cream(lots of ice cream) , dinner+ wine and assorted other indulgences. .

Point being , and I hate to say it . Yes Virginia , NCL does Nickle and Dime the

Hell out of you Now... Oh well.. ;)

Gotta love the "doesn't affect me, so I don't care" posts. What a nice bunch!

and you are reacting the same way only the other way around: It affects you, so you are thinking it will bother everyone. I am not happy either, but I realize, which some of us have been saying, you do have a choice. Don't order if this bothers you so much? Unless the menu improves (I am sure it will) it isn't worth it anyway and it is simply a trial period. Let's wait and see what really happens.

We just had a wonderful cruise on the Getaway (aft PH) .. Loved the food , enjoyed the shows and service was quite good. But the little add on's here and there really added up. Never before was I paying attention to all of the extra fee's , they were minor. Well no more. We burned through 1250 in OBC .

(Excursions were prepaid private's , prepaid gratuities and a bar setup and we had 3 platinum coupons for dinner) . So all of that OBC was spent on board

for drinks, ice cream(lots of ice cream) , dinner+ wine and assorted other indulgences. .

Point being , and I hate to say it . Yes Virginia , NCL does Nickle and Dime the

Hell out of you Now... Oh well.. ;)

If you had gotten the ultimate beverage package it probably would have been much cheaper lol but idk cuz I'm not a wine drinker only mixed drinks lol. I just called my cruise consultant and she had not heard of the increase before I called but I read to her some post on Norwegians official Facebook page and she said if its true and likely will not last long because Norwegian will lose business.

Don't worry. According to the NCL cheerleaders, absolutely nobody is considering moving to another line because of these recent changes. In fact, NCL is doing a fantastic job, according to the cheerleaders! Great job, NCL!

Not true! A lot of us self-proclaimed Cheerleaders are in fact saying we would consider it.

Its only happening on 2 ships,don't cruise those ships.

One of the 2 ships is the Breakaway. I live in NY. The breakaway and Gem are the only 2 ships housed here. So I should fly someplace to avoid the room service charge? Just a ridiculous response by you, sorry

Personally I wouldn't take that bet either way, but I can definitely see it going fleetwide (probably not at $7.95).

the reason I say it will probably not go fleet wide is because if this really bugs people I'm sure less people will be cruising in those ships during this time. If they noticed less people cruising and it is because of this reason they will do away with it