Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

These changes are unbelievable....

I really want to see this enhanced room service menu. Better be considerably better then the old menu. They also better do a much better job at filling the orders. We use the room service daily because of a small child, and they have about a 15% success rate at properly bringing everything asked for. I will not pay a fee for an incorrect order. NCL has found just about every way to suck the enjoyment out of a trip....and every dollar in our wallets....DSC adjustments will go up considerably...

6&8

And why do you think DSC will go up considerably? I think we are all over reacting, now that we see it is a trial only and on 2 ships. I am sure the enhanced menu will be just that, with full breakfast for starters. There are options here: 1-don't use room service or 2-choose another line and see how that works!!!! Check other posts here for other lines, it seems people are finding all kinds of things to gripe about right now. All lines are going to find a way to get into our pockets.

That poster has been cruising since you were in diapers (assuming you still aren't, which is hard to tell sometimes.) I'm pretty sure you don't need to tell her how she can have a good time on a ship. Get over yourself.

Lol sweetie I am 31, as I said I respect her a great deal I just feel people are making a bigger deal out of this than it should be.

Firstly,

Before jumping overboard to conclusions, the room service charge is only a test. And it’s only on the Breakaway ($7.95) and the Getaway ($4.95).

As before, there is no charge on the other ships, except between 1am and 5am or some wee hours like that, and for pizza delivery.

Secondly, having said that, there are coffee makers in many cabins. They make very good coffee.

Thirdly, if you think that NCL is the only line to charge for room service, you're in for a rude awakening. DO you really think you're not paying for it on RCI cruises, whose average fare is already higher than NCL's?

Fourthly, if even $8 a day is going to be a deal breaker, I suspect that there are other financial issues at play. $56/week to have someone delight you with such a daily indulgence so you don't have to get your rear end up to the buffet for coffee and muffins?

I agree.... I just got off the Getaway and the boat way out smoke my last 3 RCL cruises (and I loved those cruises). Got a spa mini suite for three was $600 cheaper than a regular balcony on RCL.. I also notice people were not tipping at all in most venues on the Getaway and they expected service that was beyond unreasonable. Come on......NCL is giving free UBP, UDP, Paid Gratuities, and OBC.. They have to make some money to stay afloat......I believe these charges r minor and it's in the early stages of experiment....so give them a break folks......I already booked 2 future cruises with all these freebies with NCL........And it still beats DIsney, RCL, and Princess prices..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norwegian is second to none with their first class entertainment.

Yes, I do agree. We have been reading lots of posts here on cc. And we really want to try Carnival just to see how we like it. What most posters are saying is that Carnival has better food. NCL has better entertainment.

You are comparing the drink package of both. I can see why you would like the unlimited. We don't use the drink package, so that isn't something we've considered.

Have you sailed any other lines besides NCL? If so, what did you think?

Thank you, I totally agree. And it's not only the 7.95, it's everything added together. The increase in the daily service charge that is supposed to cover our tips for dining. We ate in specialty dining 5 of the 7 nights and were also charged the 18% gratuities. Nickel and dime us and we won't be back.

just do what I do pre pay as much as you can. I try not to book anything that costs money while on the ship do all that in advance and you should be good

I thought they already did that with $.95-2.95 increase? I mean, unless of course, you want NCL to charge that separately - I sure that will make the complainers even more 'happier'....[emoji57]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Weren't you the one complaining on the other thread about the increased specialty dining charges???

Norwegian is second to none with their first class entertainment.

Yes, I do agree. We have been reading lots of posts here on cc. And we really want to try Carnival just to see how we like it. What most posters are saying is that Carnival has better food. NCL has better entertainment.

You are comparing the drink package of both. I can see why you would like the unlimited. We don't use the drink package, so that isn't something we've considered.

Have you sailed any other lines besides NCL? If so, what did you think?

nope only Ncl so far, idk if I want -friendly only because Carnival is starting to become more of the family-friendly cruise in the nineties carnival was the party and it seems like Norwegian is becoming that more and more often. as a single man when I go on a cruise I go on a cruise to have fun party drink and cut loose. I never drink at home because I work too much to be able to drink, so when I go on a cruise or a vacation that's my party time lol.

No it is only happening on two certain ships and the epic is not one of them

Thanks that is good to know hopefully it stays that way. This is my 1st NCL cruise in almost 2 decades and I would hate for a room service charge.

I don't use it that often but early morning coffee delivery on port days is priceless!!

Also.....anyone know if they check bags LEAVING the ship. DD is such a picky eater and on these long port days in Europe I was hoping to bring some boxed cereals, maybe a pastry or PB&J sandwich?

Thanks

Kerri

You look quite skinny I'm sure you could squeeze through lol

Kinda funny the guy that wants to eat when and where he wants is dictating where other people eat;). It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is a consideration. NCL gave me 800 reasons to book with CCL for next year and that's enough for now.

Firstly,

Before jumping overboard to conclusions, the room service charge is only a test. And it’s only on the Breakaway ($7.95) and the Getaway ($4.95).

As before, there is no charge on the other ships, except between 1am and 5am or some wee hours like that, and for pizza delivery.

Secondly, having said that, there are coffee makers in many cabins. They make very good coffee.

Thirdly, if you think that NCL is the only line to charge for room service, you're in for a rude awakening. DO you really think you're not paying for it on RCI cruises, whose average fare is already higher than NCL's?

Fourthly, if even $8 a day is going to be a deal breaker, I suspect that there are other financial issues at play. $56/week to have someone delight you with such a daily indulgence so you don't have to get your rear end up to the buffet for coffee and muffins?

Bah.

1) "Only a test"... so what.

2) Either you're in a suite with a Lavazzo coffee maker, or you need to get your taste buds checked out.

3) A logically fallacious argument that can neither be proven nor disproven. Next.

4) Since you raised it, people's rear ends are getting sore from all the extra charges NCL is shoving up them.

That is exactly what they said about the extra 18% charge for the specialty restaurants. "For this cruise only" "as a test".

honey my best advice is not to cruise those two ships for nowand if they notice people not cruising those two ships as much and it's due to the extra charges they will drop the charges

Bah.

1) "Only a test"... so what.

2) Either you're in a suite with a Lavazzo coffee maker, or you need to get your taste buds checked out.

3) A logically fallacious argument that can neither be proven nor disproven. Next.

4) Since you raised it, people's rear ends are getting sore from all the extra charges NCL is shoving up them.

if you can't afford to cruise then don't cruise. you can always go on Carnival and deal with their second rate entertainment and how they skip out on their beverage package

Let's get real they're never going to charge extra for the stewards to clean your cabin lol. some people over exaggerate away too much.

Martin Niemöller would be proud.

I've been reading the posts that say things like we like to order coffee with our room service, really people why would you want to sit in your room during a cruise? You are on a cruise to get out and have fun so do so.

I'd appreciate you not trying to tell me how to spend my vacation, thank you very much. If I want to sit in my cabin and stare at the wall for a week, that's my preogative. That you claim in a later post you won't cruise Carnival because you want to eat when you damn well please, but complain about room service-using cruisers being idiotic for doing what they damn well please, reeks of immaturity and hypocrisy.

I've never cruised the other lines but I've heard of some of their entertainment options and trust me Norwegians is way better.

That's funny. I've never driven Italian sports cars but I've seen some on the road and trust me minivans handle way better.

I'm probably fatter than anyone else on this board

Probably not. If weighing doesn't involve a scale for each foot, you lose.

hey I am cruising with you on the 3 day escape, you are an awesome poster. But as I was saying this is just motivation to get up and get it yourself. nobody goes on a cruise to just sit in your room. when I first started cruising I didn't even understand why have room service when the whole point of the cruise is to be out of your room. For the people who bring their kids just stop bringing your kids. if you get a babysitter I promise you and your husband will have much much more fun.

We don't normally order room service. The kids like it for snacks. I am more concerned for my parents who do like to have coffee and a danish early in the morning while sitting on their balcony. Regardless, cruise fares have always included room service. Always. This is just an added charge. It's not the $7.95 that is the issue. It's the point - the principle of the entire thing. Added to the other changes (extra charges) they just made - without the courtesy of informing anyone - it's flat out wrong.

I think the point is if someone doesn't want to get off their butt to go to the buffet, they now have to pay $8.

Personally, the only time we use room service is mornings when we are docked at a port and have an early morning excursion or going to the beach. Was an wasy way to get bfast and pick/eat while getting ready. Certainly will not be paying $8 to half eat a muffin or banana and take a few sips of coffee before leaving the ship.

I used room service once on my last cruise: MDR dinner salad had brown lettuce and pasta meal was not good. I would not pay $5-8 for a room service make up meal.

Next cruise I planned for my family to use room service, but I shouldn't have to pay a fee for the feature. Room service and treats are part of the cruise experience. You know the frequency of RS orders, add it to the fare.

Bring me a new service of value to pay for, this is a takeaway. No one likes a takeaway.

Lol sweetie I am 31, as I said I respect her a great deal I just feel people are making a bigger deal out of this than it should be.

I'm not your sweetie, and you're not the social chairperson for the cruises of others.

Why? It's crowded enough with overweight old men, I don't need to add to the mix;). (And even more importantly, why do you care what I do onboard?).

Why not take it back to your room? Take the closest elevator / stairs to the buffet and make beehive out. No said you had to eat at the buffet tables to enjoy your food..Plus coffee / tea is serve all day long, so you can go at anytime.

No offense, people who seem to never taken food back to their rooms are making it big production over nothing - if you're going in as couple or family of 3+ with kids over age of 5, you have a easy time taking food back than single person holding a plate and cup in their had opening doors. Worse, if the single person is disable using a walker /cane / wheelchair / scooter - they strategize how to carry it anywhere. If you don't want carry the coffee /food back to room, then pay the room service charge and be done with it, its not as if yoy don't have options.....

Yes, but wait 'til you hear them squeal when it IS something that DOES affect them.

We never use Room Service on NCL...way too limited menu in all cases...so it doesn't affect us. But, anyone who is naive enough to think that it will stop there is living in a dream world.

It is the way of the cruising world. Cut, raise, rinse, repeat. Keep doing it until the on=board spending drops below the revenue generated by the increases (and the savings from the cuts). After 60+ cruises (and 11 booked) this lamb is about ready to cease being sheared.

Unfortunately, since cruising is so "trendy" currently (especially in suites) they will have a line of newbies ready to spend stupid money and get less value, and think they are winning.

Exactly the point!

Well I can say one thing ........ I used to be such a big NCL cheerleader. I was always telling folks to try NCL, you will love it.

I'm no longer going to do that. I will tell folks to really look at the bottom line when you compare cruise lines.

I still think that most folks when they are looking to book a a cruise do not take the time involved and look at the bottom line of what their cruise will cost them. And what you will be getting for your initial cruise cost. I think most folks look at the advertised, posted price and choose their cruise from that.

And I really do think NCL realizes that. People browse the internet or pricing, see a good price, and book. NCL gets those customers, and then makes their money by all of these added prices. The thing is, my thinking is that people will use their cruise cards and rack up these added things. Then be shocked at their bill. But they will pay it, because you have to. I don't think most folks cruising really, really pay attention to what $$$$$'s they are racking up as they go along. These charges add up, and quickly!!! ha!

I know I never used to be one to say, "NCL will nickel and dime you," so watch out! Now I will warn anyone that is looking to book a cruise of just that. To look at what you are getting for the cruise price. And pay attention to what things you will likely use and be charged for. And pick your cruise after that.

I agree.... I just got off the Getaway and the boat way out smoke my last 3 RCL cruises (and I loved those cruises). Got a spa mini suite for three was $600 cheaper than a regular balcony on RCL.. I also notice people were not tipping at all in most venues on the Getaway and they expected service that was beyond unreasonable. Come on......NCL is giving free UBP, UDP, Paid Gratuities, and OBC.. They have to make some money to stay afloat......I believe these charges r minor and it's in the early stages of experiment....so give them a break folks......I already booked 2 future cruises with all these freebies with NCL........And it still beats DIsney, RCL, and Princess prices..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked before the freebies were out. We paid for the UBP, paid the fee for the 5 specialty dining meals and the 18%. We tipped each waiter $10.00 to $15.00 each night including the two nights in the main dining room. Would have been more if they hadn't added the 18%.

We don't normally order room service. The kids like it for snacks. I am more concerned for my parents who do like to have coffee and a danish early in the morning while sitting on their balcony. Regardless, cruise fares have always included room service. Always. This is just an added charge. It's not the $7.95 that is the issue. It's the point - the principle of the entire thing. Added to the other changes (extra charges) they just made - without the courtesy of informing anyone - it's flat out wrong.

have felt the same way as all of you when Norwegian banned smoking on the balcony but everybody cheered. go back and look I said myself that nobody cared because it did not affect them so this doesn't bother me because it does not affect me. it was only me and a handful of other people that were defending the right to smoke on the balcony you paid for. now that Norwegian is doing something that y'all don't like the new rules are all of the sudden unfair.

Weren't you the one complaining on the other thread about the increased specialty dining charges???

I said it was underhand how it was announced plus the double dipping but it doesn't really affect me much since I don't use the UDP or even the UBP anyway. The only cost to me is the DSC, cruise fare and whatever is my budget for the trip - the UDP / UBP is waste for me since I'm not a big eater / drinker anyway. *shrug*

Why not take it back to your room? Take the closest elevator / stairs to the buffet and make beehive out. No said you had to eat at the buffet tables to enjoy your food..Plus coffee / tea is serve all day long, so you can go at anytime.

No offense, people who seem to never taken food back to their rooms are making it big production over nothing - if you're going in as couple or family of 3+ with kids over age of 5, you have a easy time taking food back than single person holding a plate and cup in their had opening doors. Worse, if the single person is disable using a walker /cane / wheelchair / scooter - they strategize how to carry it anywhere. If you don't want carry the coffee /food back to room, then pay the room service charge and be done with it, its not as if yoy don't have options.....

More likely than not that is exactly what I would do but there are times where room service has it's place and being charged for something that used to be included obviously doesn't sit well with a lot of folks.