Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

and you are reacting the same way only the other way around: It affects you, so you are thinking it will bother everyone. I am not happy either, but I realize, which some of us have been saying, you do have a choice. Don't order if this bothers you so much? Unless the menu improves (I am sure it will) it isn't worth it anyway and it is simply a trial period. Let's wait and see what really happens.

I've read and liked your posts for years but I have to say I disagree with you on this one. I am part of this experiment as I sail on the Breakaway next week. My family uses room service at least once daily. I purchased a cruise that had free room service between the hours of five am and midnight. I will not be receiving that service as part of the price I already paid.

I get it, prices change. This is not a price change, this is moving a service from complimentary to a fee. I feel like I can't trust NCL anymore to deliver what they agreed I should pay for. If they want to implement new charges it is completely up to them, but to pull this switch after we have already agreed upon terms is bad faith.

No, there are not. It says that a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. The way it is written that includes complimentary items. As they have written that, there are no more complimentary items.

Exactly. The way I read it there will be both "free" and "cost" items (like pizza at present, but also [maybe?] other items), and then on top of whatever that comes to, a "delivery" charge of $7.95.

Not true! A lot of us self-proclaimed Cheerleaders are in fact saying we would consider it.

And this Cheerleader is one of them.... ;) First time we have not bought an FCC..

And Captain Tommie on the Getaway says they have 4 more of these behemoth

ships on the way ... yuk.....

Edited by mpk218

the reason I say it will probably not go fleet wide is because if this really bugs people I'm sure less people will be cruising in those ships during this time. If they noticed less people cruising and it is because of this reason they will do away with it

That is factually impossible. It was put into place without notice this week. We are cruising next week. Clearly none of us could change our cruising plans at this time.

If the cost of food on the room service menu is complimentary, and there is a convenience charge to have the order delivered to the stateroom, can you pick up your own room service order and avoid the convenience charge?

Just another reason to wander through the bowels of the ship.

I have sailed with CCL and found it to be an excellent choice when we did it. Wasn't disappointed in all and out of all the cruises I have done, it ranked as my second favorite cruise! I am cruising with them again in a week, then back to a booked NCL cruise in June. I'm looking to book for November...I may just switch to CCL if this upcoming cruise is as good as the last one.

We have also been looking at CCL for cruising. I've been reading their boards here. Please post how you liked or didn't like (ha!) your cruise. We are looking to book a Fall cruise with CCL to Mexican Riviera. If we like it, we will make a switch from NCL.

I've been getting disappointed with all of the new charges with NCL. So, we've been looking at other options.

We sailed our first cruise with Carnival and loved it. We are easy to please people and it was our first vacation in forever, so maybe we would have loved any cruise (barring the Titanic--LOL). I booked our upcoming cruise with NCL because of the price and promo and expect we will have a great time on it as well. At this point, a week on vacation beats a week at home at work any day. Al these changes in fees/prices are leaving a sour taste in my mouth for NCL though.

I've heard people claim Carnival nickel and dimed you (mainly from a Princess loyalist--which is great but Princess hardly sails from the northeast), but the only upcharge things on our Carnival cruise was the one specialty restaurant, the specialty coffee shop, and spa/salon. I hardly thought that was nickel and diming anyone. NCL seems to be writing the rules on it though.

Like most of the posters I feel the charge is ridiculous, but for my family of 5 that have always cruised on RCCL our first NCL trip is still a deal with the added charge. In 2012 on RCCL we had an inside cabin for a 9 day cruise out of Baltimore, one of my children stayed in a friends cabin so we only needed one. That cruise fare alone was over $3000, plus tips for dining and room attendants, add in our bar bill, it was well over $1000, plus the soda package for the kids. In 2013 we purchased adjoining inside cabins for the same cruise so the cruise fare was over $4000, plus tips. Purchased the UBP for around $1000 and the soda package for the kids for around $40 each, so the cruise was well over $5000, before any additional spending on the ship. I came across the NCL deal they are offering and booked a 7 day Western for April 2016 we chose a family ocean view and selected the UBP. Total with taxes, port charges and insurance of $2700. I guess if we order room service for breakfast at $4.95, we are on the Getaway, each day it only adds $35 to the bill. I imagine if that charge is made permanent and all the other freebies aren't offered it adds some to the budget. But with kids sail free and free UBP or UDP, it is still a deal.

Edited by sgt1010

I'm not being insulting I said why not go without your kids, I never said hey you have to or you should I'm simply saying its an option.

I think everyone is aware of their own options and make decisions accordingly.

What you said is "I promise you cruisers without kids will thank you".

I'm not being insulting I said why not go without your kids, I never said hey you have to or you should I'm simply saying its an option.

You have been insulting to many people in this thread. You have not contributed a single useful thing to the discussion. You are fat, and you like the buffet....we get that you have told us several times. I am thin and in fantastic shape, but some of us like to relax on our balcony and enjoy a snack from room service. This charge is insanely high for a service that was FREE when we booked. If all you are going to do is continue to insult people, and tell others how they should vacation perhaps you can just keep that to yourself.

6&8

You know, you really are being insulting to others.

Some people enjoy a family vacation. NCL never promoted itself to be Adults Only. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should check out some singles cruises rather than sail on ship which has options for ALL.

If you enjoy staying up all night in the club, more power to you. It's YOUR vacation. I won't tell you not to if you don't stick your nose in how I like to vacation.

Or maybe NCL has rooms for solo travelers on some of their ships or can afford the double-occupancy rates throughout the line without a problem, hence why some have no problem whatsoever paying. Because they're paying for just one person, themselves, and not 2,3,4, 5 or however many are included in the sail card account that not paying for themselves - did that not occur to you? So $90.65-104.65 for 7day DSC is nothing to a soloer compare to $181.30- 209.30+ DSC for 2 people and more, especially when the other people are not helping to pay it. No offense, not the solo traveler's fault you having issues paying / handling the extras for whatever reason.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

One of the 2 ships is the Breakaway. I live in NY. The breakaway and Gem are the only 2 ships housed here. So I should fly someplace to avoid the room service charge? Just a ridiculous response by you, sorry

No, you said yourself you also have the gem cruise the gem.

How is it complimentary when there is a convenience charge

The same way that when you buy the 2nd set of Ginzu knives, they're "free," you just have to pay the shipping and handling charge. :rolleyes:

Some of the items on the RS menu will be complementary, some not. But to get them delivered to your door, you'll have to pay. A distinction without difference, but only in the mind of whatever NCL suit thought up this scheme.

Why not just cruise by yourself and not bring your small child? I promise you cruisers without kids will thank you.

Are you volunteering to babysit for mine?

Nevermind. I actually want to spend time with my kids on OUR vacations. Seeing the wonder and delight while they experience new things with us is part of what makes our vacations worth it.

And this Cheerleader is one of them.... ;) First time we have not bought an FCC..

And Captain Tommie on the Getaway says they have 4 more of these behemoth

ships on the way ... yuk.....

This cheerleader is still Ncl all the way paying less for boring entertainment is still not a value

I want to see this "enhanced room service menu." I wouldn't pay $7.95 for anything on the old NCL room service menu. I think a dollar or two is reasonable for room service, but $7.95 seems excessive - especially for what is offered. But if the new menu is a full breakfast menu, we'd probably order once or twice, even at $7.95.

I feel bad for those who like to order a pot of coffee and a pastry and relax before leaving the cabin - $7.95 for that is ridiculous and missing out on it will affect your enjoyment of the cruise. I also enjoy breakfast on the balcony, but I've always thought the breakfast room service selections sucked - big time. I usually get a coffee from the atrium cafe and then head up to the buffet to bring some food back to the room. I hate the main buffet - too crowded - but on the Breakaway I liked the smaller outdoor buffet on Deck 14 or 15, can't remember the name. That always worked really well for me - either I'd eat there (also outside) or bring a plate back to the balcony. DH is on his own as punishment for sleeping late - though I'll share with him if he's awake when I get back. I concede that it is hard to carry food for two people - but you could do it if you both went out. I also concede that this method would be inconvenient for people who drink more coffee than I do, as you'd have to carry multiple tiny cups. But it works for me.

For those who are worried about leaving the cabin before showering - don't worry about it. It's like the bathing suit at the beach thing - lots of people will look WAY worse than you. ;)

That is exactly what they said about the extra 18% charge for the specialty restaurants. "For this cruise only" "as a test".

I am on here daily and don't remember ever seeing a reference to the 18% being a trial test only. Guessed I missed that one..Or maybe you say it somewhere else!!!

Hey guys, NCL replied to a comment on their FB Page:

944641_10152047913186414_470239810_n.jpg?oh=6c420eff51966b2593213595fcb59bb5&oe=559FE0B7&__gda__=1436950582_26c21db1baa1c2fe11f66dcc078741cc

Remove

Norwegian Cruise Line Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

lol I'm Geri that they responded to and posted this 6 pages ago

I think everyone is aware of their own options and make decisions accordingly.

What you said is "I promise you cruisers without kids will thank you".

Ok how was that by definition an insult? Cruisers without kids will thank you. I wouldn't exactly call that an insult.

I had enjoyed cruising on Norwegian and at this time will be on two upcoming NCL cruises with friends. But I am seeing the handwriting on the wall with the transition in management.

I took my first CCL cruise when a friend's husband had to back out in January. There were areas they definitely weren't better than NCL but many areas they far surpassed NCL.

With that said I sailed on other lines before NCL and now I have sailed on CCL. NCL keeps up with these maneuvers to extract more money from their passengers in devious ways I may go back to one of the other lines quite easily.

Like most of the posters I feel the charge is ridiculous, but for my family of 5 that have always cruised on RCCL our first NCL trip is still a deal with the added charge. In 2012 on RCCL we had an inside cabin for a 9 day cruise out of Baltimore, one of my children stayed in a friends cabin so we only needed one. That cruise fare alone was over $3000, plus tips for dining and room attendants, add in our bar bill, it was well over $1000, plus the soda package for the kids. In 2013 we purchased adjoining inside cabins for the same cruise so the cruise fare was over $4000, plus tips. Purchased the UBP for around $1000 and the soda package for the kids for around $40 each, so the cruise was well over $5000, before any additional spending on the ship. I came across the NCL deal they are offering and booked a 7 day Western for April 2016 we chose a family ocean view and selected the UBP. Total with taxes, port charges and insurance of $2700. I guess if we order room service for breakfast at $4.95, we are on the Getaway, each day it only adds $35 to the bill. I imagine if that charge is made permanent and all the other freebies aren't offered it adds some to the budget. But with kids sail free and free UBP or UDP, it is still a deal.

Yes, maybe a deal for some for now. These free promos allowed them to raise the cruise fares, raise the drink prices, increase the auto grat on drinks, add an new auto grat on specialties, increase the Daily Service Charge, and now add a hefty service charge to Room Service under the guise of an "enhanced menu". I'm sure the hope was that we'd all be so giddy with the great deal we had we either wouldn't notice or care too much. And IMO, they aren't done yet.

What will happen when the promos end, but the increased fares and add on fees remain? Will NCL still be the great deal compared to RCCL or many other lines?

Ok how was that by definition an insult? Cruisers without kids will thank you. I wouldn't exactly call that an insult.

Could had been phrase differently or not at all. But then, I shouldn't talk, I purposely cruise when majority of kids are in school and parents have to be pretty desperate to pull them out to get low-price fares. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk