Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Why is it $7.95 for Breakaway and $4.95 for getaway and zero for other ships. BS on this. I didn't say a word when they raised the DSC charge I thought it was ridiculous about the specialty 18% charge but this is going way to far

But...but....it's for our convenience....not for them to make money. How gullible they must think we are.

Very sneaky of NCL, especially since this is prime spring break time for elementary and high schools across the country. The ships will be loaded with kids and unaware parents ordering room service for them.

I imagine they'll have a slip to sign. I can see the screaming at the delivery person when they first find out. Guest services will have long lines.

Here is the response i got from NCL

Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

IMO the part I bolded is contradictory! If they are refining the menu...did they save all the old ones so they can go back to them if this fails? NO! The test is the price point people will "accept". So I expect this fleet wide by mid April at the $4.95 rate.

Am I the only one here that does not see this as a big deal? I never use room service. And if I want to, so what?? I'll pay for it. No different than DW and I always eating at the specialty restaurants every cruise and avoiding the MDR and buffet.

Never used room service since we like to go to the buffet (for breakfast) and restaurants for dinner.

But this is very sneaky and really disappointing! Their lack of communication is also very disappointing.

Edited by aquarianne11

Am I the only one here that does not see this as a big deal? I never use room service. And if I want to, so what?? I'll pay for it. No different than DW and I always eating at the specialty restaurants every cruise and avoiding the MDR and buffet.

No, you're not the only one. I'm not liking that they're not communicating these changes but the prices? Easy to avoid if you're not using any of the extra fee things like specialty, drinking or room service. Either you going to pay or not. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Thankfully I have fallen in the cracks for most of these increases...

Have the UDP so 18% of zero is zero.

Already prepaid the DSC before the price increase.

Have balcony which includes a coffee maker so no need to stagger out to the Buffet for coffee...

Never use room service so no effect on me...But the fee is really stupid...

I will continue to follow these forums for any other additional new charges...

And when my cruise begins I will watch my bill every day and if any additional charges show up trust me they will get to know me on a first name basis...

Its going to be a bumpy year it seems...

Edited by warriorking

I half agree with you. But not everybody is in the same boat here.

im looking at it like this, Ive booked my cruise for 2016. I have pre paid my tips, booked the UDP and received the UBP "free of charge" in the promo.

so, Even if I ate in the room for breakfast luch and dinner using room service, had to pay gratuities in the special dining rooms (which i dont because of the UDP) Im still out on top with the "free" UBP. So this time arounnd im not too bothered. I still see the price I paid as better value then a land based holiday.

HOWEVER, It is not the changes made that worry me, It is what is next? And those who have been hit with the new changes onboard at the moment, Have the right to be upset with it.

I would presume that most people will simply not use the room service, and use the dining rooms or buffet.

But in answer to your question, (My opinion, based on what I get out of cruising with NCL) No, its not a big deal to me.

Hoping someone in a PH suite or Haven suite will jump in and let us know if this new charge applies there as well. I am going to be seriously not happy if I will be charged $7.95 each time my butler (who will be tipped separately and at the end of the cruise) brings me breakfast, lunch, etc. Does this $7.95 charge also apply if we are having specialty dinners delivered to our suite (since we are already paying the appropriate cover charge I would think not but who knows now!)?

I am going to be in the heaven for the Norwegian escape in November, stop whining everyone they might as well call this the motivation to get off your lazy butt and go get it yourself surcharge. who wants to go on a cruise and sit in the room anyway, my favorite quotes that I've ever made was on my last cruise I was up until 4 a.m. and slept until 7 a.m. and one of the old guys asked me wow how do you sleep so little? I said I paid to be on this cruise, I can sleep all I want at home for free.

When I posted in the thread about Del Rio's interview he asked "can I get $4-5 extra out of you and your wife per day" and my response was "not without adding value for what is charged". A room service charge detracts from the value by charging for something that used to be included. As I said, I won't say that we'll never sail NCL again but all of these things will certainly be considered.

Hey guys, NCL replied to a comment on their FB Page:

944641_10152047913186414_470239810_n.jpg?oh=6c420eff51966b2593213595fcb59bb5&oe=559FE0B7&__gda__=1436950582_26c21db1baa1c2fe11f66dcc078741cc

Remove

Norwegian Cruise Line Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

These changes are unbelievable....

I really want to see this enhanced room service menu. Better be considerably better then the old menu. They also better do a much better job at filling the orders. We use the room service daily because of a small child, and they have about a 15% success rate at properly bringing everything asked for. I will not pay a fee for an incorrect order. NCL has found just about every way to suck the enjoyment out of a trip....and every dollar in our wallets....DSC adjustments will go up considerably...

6&8

We do use room service- frequently. For us, it's always been a nice perk. And, honestly, a selling point to DH way back when he wasn't interested in taking a cruise. It might seem small or petty to some, but I'm very disappointed.

Hey guys, NCL replied to a comment on their FB Page:

944641_10152047913186414_470239810_n.jpg?oh=6c420eff51966b2593213595fcb59bb5&oe=559FE0B7&__gda__=1436950582_26c21db1baa1c2fe11f66dcc078741cc

Remove

Norwegian Cruise Line Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

See no big deal,now everyone can stop crying

While the communication of several of these changes have been awful, I'm fine with them because they mostly don't affect me (yet..there's still time before I cruise to add other charges). I have the UBP, I never eat in the specialty restaurants and I never order room service. Only affect is the $0.95 DSC increase which I can get over. I can definitely understand the frustration of the users of these services. So, unless they start charging for pool time, pool chairs and clean, filtered non smoke filled oxygen, I will be completely happy. I feel I got a great balcony price for a newer ship (Getaway) with the UBP and $100 OBC thrown in. All is good here :-)

I've been paid as a participant to do market research, this is a new one on me--being charged to be a guinea pig.

I will be paying the $7.95 per room service order as it is part of how we enjoy our cruise vacations. However, for the first time I will not purchase a future cruise credit. So to whomever is analyzing the success of this charge--please look at the FFC purchase rate to see how successful this experiment really is.

To all those who don't see what the "big deal" is: I have absolitely no faith at all that what I purchase will be what I receive. This last charge is the most egregious because they took something "included in my cruise fare" and put a charge on it. If they are willing to do this, than they can charge me for ANYTHING once aboard.

I am going to be in the heaven for the Norwegian escape in November, stop whining everyone they might as well call this the motivation to get off your lazy butt and go get it yourself surcharge. who wants to go on a cruise and sit in the room anyway, my favorite quotes that I've ever made was on my last cruise I was up until 4 a.m. and slept until 7 a.m. and one of the old guys asked me wow how do you sleep so little? I said I paid to be on this cruise, I can sleep all I want at home for free.

And when they start charging extra for stewards to clean your cabin, I suppose you'll call that the "motivation to get off your lazy butt and scrub the toilet yourself" surcharge? :rolleyes:

So if we are in our GV and a couple of the girls want something and then another couple of girls want something else and then again some want another thing that could very well be $24.00 for early morning Danish and bagels. Really????

I am sure the answer is no..there is no middle of the night or Pizza charge in the GV either

I'm not shocked by the new charge for RS. However they say "it's a test on 2 ships". If they want to expand the menu, then the charge should be for upscale RS items. But keep the

Regular items FREE or at a minimal fee.

What's next a surcharge for nice weather???