Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

My first cruise was in 2008, and the one upcoming next month will only be my 4th. So I surely missed any "golden age."

I started cruising in 2001 and the golden age of cruising changed with the advent of FreeStyle cruising and the numerous upcharge restaurants in that same time on NCL. Other ships had a specialty restaurant on them but it was for a cover charge and it was considered an elegant experience to dine there, not mainstream. However, room service was never questioned and was always free and actually had some great dinner items on it. Then the great recession hit in 2007 and things suddenly changed for all the cruise lines dramatically and now it's all about fees and pricing and nickle and diming. Those golden years of cruising are long gone, even on the more upscale lines. It's sad to see what profit mongering has done to a once elegant past time. :(

Hey Cruise Critic news department, how about a news story about all these changes and all the discussion going on here on the NCL boards? And ask the CEO how he feels about ticking off the NCL passengers. I'd love to see his response.

In fairness if you include banning smokers from smoking on their balcony I'm in

It is completely misleading to call this a "test". Tell that to the PAX on those two ships who are now being charged for something their contract said was free when the contract was finalized. Perhaps those PAX should "test" how amending or deleting the DSC is treated by NCL, which PAX have every right to do under that very same contract.

Message to all pax on Breakaway and Getaway at the moment.

COLLECTIVE ACTION.

You have a service issue: you are being denied your complimentary room service therefore you have a reason to remove your Service Charges as per your contract with NCL (an unresolved service issue). If NCL resolve it i.e. remove the $7.95 charges then point made. If not, they will lose loads of $12.95/$14.95 charges.

And you still have the right to do that now you just have to pay extra for that privilege

Do you enjoy being nickel and dimed to death? What if all entertainment was for a fee now? What if you were limited to 1 bag, and had to pay extra fees for more items? When does it end? How could anyone be glad for these new and additional fees.

Yes, I can choose to pay for it or not, it is not mandatory, but in my 25 years of cruising it has been something included in the base fare on every cruise line I have been on. That's what someone might refer to as an industry standard. Charging for "free food" is not the industry standard and it's just picking my wallet apart.

And for the record, especially on excursion days, we like to get a wakeup call from room service and then we get ready in the morning having coffee, yogurt, and fruit. It's one of the niceties of cruising. Charging $7.95 per order takes all the joy out of it. I won't be the sucker filling their coffers for bogus charges like that.

It doesn't matter if you use room service or NOT. The point that pisses everyone off is booking a cruise understanding what was included and charged, and then finding out after final payment has passed that they have increased many things and now charge for things that were listed as complementary. I'm in the Haven and have always booked suites so even though this "room service" charge most likely will not affect me, doesn't change the fact that NCL is doing a horrible job at being forthright with what is included in your fare and how much you can expect to pay extra for all the new changes that they have come up with over night. A deal is a deal...You don't get to change prices once you have our money. And remember!, Just because this may not affect you this time, doesn't mean the next change wont.

Edited by gatime

Charging you more without giving you more. And some people think it is a great idea or "don't mind". NCL sure loves a sucker when it finds one.

I would say I don't mind because I don't use the service. Technically, they are excluding something that was complimentary that I didn't use in the first place but if the part that I'm using is the same at the same price, then this issue really doesn't affect me. It would be like adding a big charge for the youth services that are included in your fare. I don't have kids, so the change wouldn't affect me. I'm still getting the same portion of the services that I use for the price that I intended.

I do feel bad for the ones that it affects and hopefully you are able to still enjoy your cruise.

Look maybe it sound conspiracy theory to everyone esle but I think 1) making money over something NCL thinks its losing money over since it seems its not use at all hours. From thr sound of modt people posts in this thread, it mostly used for breakfast and small snacks but not really heavily for lunch or dinner. Putting a charge on the service, makes customer either order more to cover the expense of delivering or switch to alternate way of getting that free food like going to the buffet, MDR or O'Sheenan's.

Which to theory #2) - closing one of the excuses of reducing /removing DSC , using room service for all meals - NCL trying to getting that money in one form or other. Whether or not its the staff is getting paid from it, by putting a room service charge - You're either pay the fee but be able to reduced for x amount by claiming you didn't use the buffet /mdr OR use those free locations by refusing to pay room service charge, but you can't really reduce by much because you use the places. So its damn if do, damn if you don't - that's pretty insidious and crafty of Del Rio to pull that people who might use it 1-3 times a day for whatever reason especially to families with kids who use it more.

That's my theory about the whole mess - wish they would communicate more to customers regarding changes but of course, the PR / marketing department got layoff pretty badly. Also summer is coming soon and we have pretty much a 2nd quarter (high season where kids are out and mostly everyone is cruising) to see if the changes did damage or not. Just because tens of people on Cruise Critic are claiming to cancel any future trips with NCL doesn't mean the thousands who don't use the forums will. That info doesn't come out til September or October, so it bit of a wait and see.

Hey Cruise Critic news department, how about a news story about all these changes and all the discussion going on here on the NCL boards? And ask the CEO how he feels about ticking off the NCL passengers. I'd love to see his response.

He will tell you to stock up on KY and bend over. If history is the guide, NCL will survive this. The airlines all did after introducing $25 baggage fee.

Probably set different prices to gauge the results. See how the number of $7.95 orders compare to the $4.95. If there isn't a significant difference set the price at $7.95, if there is set it at $4.95. This will be implemented on all ships, just at which price? The Yankees doubled ticket prices when they built the new stadium, $100 for a bleacher seat, evryone was in an uproar. They still sell out every game. Go Bosox!!

Do you enjoy being nickel and dimed to death? What if all entertainment was for a fee now? What if you were limited to 1 bag, and had to pay extra fees for more items? When does it end? How could anyone be glad for these new and additional fees.

Yes, I can choose to pay for it or not, it is not mandatory, but in my 25 years of cruising it has been something included in the base fare on every cruise line I have been on. That's what someone might refer to as an industry standard. Charging for "free food" is not the industry standard and it's just picking my wallet apart.

And for the record, especially on excursion days, we like to get a wakeup call from room service and then we get ready in the morning having coffee, yogurt, and fruit. It's one of the niceties of cruising. Charging $7.95 per order takes all the joy out of it. I won't be the sucker filling their coffers for bogus charges like that.

You are right it has been free but now its not. if anyone thinks I'm coming off as a jerk there is a specific reason behind it that is how all of you came off when I was sincerely upset about smoking being banned on the balcony I pay for. everyone was like yay no more smoking.

You are right it has been free but now its not. if anyone thinks I'm coming off as a jerk there is a specific reason behind it that is how all of you came off when I was sincerely upset about smoking being banned on the balcony I pay for. everyone was like yay no more smoking.

The smoking issue goes a lot further than $$$; it is a health hazard for those who don't smoke.

I would say I don't mind because I don't use the service. Technically, they are excluding something that was complimentary that I didn't use in the first place but if the part that I'm using is the same at the same price, then this issue really doesn't affect me. It would be like adding a big charge for the youth services that are included in your fare. I don't have kids, so the change wouldn't affect me. I'm still getting the same portion of the services that I use for the price that I intended.

I do feel bad for the ones that it affects and hopefully you are able to still enjoy your cruise.

I'm all for charging for youth services on ships. That requires large amounts of staffing, trained staffing as well, versus crew they can have come in from other countries with cheaper wage rates. I think Kid's Club should definitely get the brunt of the fees for service. Plus, the kids sail free promotions need to go as well. Then we'll talk about fees for everyone else!

I'm all for charging for youth services on ships. That requires large amounts of staffing, trained staffing as well, versus crew they can have come in from other countries with cheaper wage rates. I think Kid's Club should definitely get the brunt of the fees for service. Plus, the kids sail free promotions need to go as well. Then we'll talk about fees for everyone else!

I agree

Exactly I agree, and now if you want room service you have to pay a little extra

New changes Chris,

You now have to pay $3.00 for the towel you'll be using in the spa per day.

You can only have one dessert per meal or there's a $2.00 charge for each additional dessert.

You also will have to pay $5.00 for the seat you're going to sit in for the show. The show is free, the charge is for the seat.

If you tender and take up more than a small portion of the seat you have to pay $4.00 extra since you take up more space they can't fit the allotted number of passengers in that tender and will need to use more tenders. More tenders cost more money.

The snow room in the spa has an addition charge to everyone of $5.00. You can go to the spa but you don't have to go to the snow room.

Oh, and the Grotto, it's there but there's a cover charge of $6.00 if you wish to actually go there.

If you want any of the above.....you'll now have to pay for it, Chris.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Harriet

It is completely misleading to call this a "test". Tell that to the PAX on those two ships who are now being charged for something their contract said was free when the contract was finalized. Perhaps those PAX should "test" how amending or deleting the DSC is treated by NCL, which PAX have every right to do under that very same contract.

The contract never said this was free.

As much as this and several other recent NCL actions have left a bad taste in my mouth, they are not contractual issues. Your contract only guarantees your cruise fare...not taxes, not service charges, not gratuities, not prices of shore excursions you haven't paid for in advance, not prices the specialty restaurants, spa, of photographs, etc. The contract doesn't even guarantee the itinerary at the time you paid your fare will be followed.

Smoking on the balcony affects the enjoyment of other passengers. These issues are not apples to apples.

New changes Chris,

You now have to pay $3.00 for the towel you'll be using in the spa per day.

You can only have one dessert per meal or there's a $2.00 charge for each additional dessert.

You also will have to pay $5.00 for the seat you're going to sit in for the show. The show is free, the charge is for the seat.

If you tender and take up more than a small portion of the seat you have to pay $4.00 extra since you take up more space they can't fit the allotted number of passengers in that tender and will need to use more tenders. More tenders cost more money.

The snow room in the spa has an addition charge to everyone of $5.00. You can go to the spa but you don't have to go to the snow room.

Oh, and the Grotto, it's there but there's a cover charge of $6.00 if you wish to actually go there.

If you want any of the above.....you'll now have to pay for it, Chris.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Harriet

Yeah but in reality there are no such charges

I started cruising in 2001 and the golden age of cruising changed with the advent of FreeStyle cruising and the numerous upcharge restaurants in that same time on NCL. Other ships had a specialty restaurant on them but it was for a cover charge and it was considered an elegant experience to dine there, not mainstream. However, room service was never questioned and was always free and actually had some great dinner items on it. Then the great recession hit in 2007 and things suddenly changed for all the cruise lines dramatically and now it's all about fees and pricing and nickle and diming. Those golden years of cruising are long gone, even on the more upscale lines. It's sad to see what profit mongering has done to a once elegant past time. :(

I don't know where I must have been, but I never remember any decent dinner choices on the room service menu. In fact that might be one of the reasons we have never been users of room service. The only decent room service we have seen was HAL.

I didn't call you a jerk or anything for that matter. Stop projecting or putting words in my mouth, and stop doing the same to others. You are coming off as belligerent and certainly not gaining any support for your position by doing so.

As for smoking, I smoked for a long time and finally wised up and quit. What does charging for something the cruise line told me was included when I booked equate to a smoking ban on balconies? As far as I can remember, that ban was announced with plenty of time for people to alter plans. In addition, why should 100% of people be subjected to the deadly habits of 15-18% of the population? If I choose to pay for room service, or not, it has absolutely no impact on anyone else, and especially not their health and well being. If a smoker is next to me that impacts my health. You are really trying hard to twist the two topics together as if they are somehow related when they are completely unrelated and any further attempt to link them is farcical. You are ticked about the smoking ban, and you are entitled to your opinion, so go start a thread about it. But remember, there are still places provided, free of charge, where you can choose to poison yourself as much or as little as you like. You're in the wrong thread to be crying about smoking.

I booked a cruise with certain amenities advertised and promised and since the time of that booking, (2 months ago) NCL has jacked up their drink prices, gratuity amount (20% on beverages, and daily per person for services). They instituted a new gratuity for specialty dining, and now charge for items that used to be free, and have the nerve to tell me the items actually ARE still free, just not the delivery. Riiiiiiiight. I wasn't born yesterday and I don't fall for these sort of games. They are deceptive, dishonest, and they show corporate contempt for the customer.

I have no intention of coin operated vacationing. It is, for me, the opposite of a relaxing experience.

Edit: How would you feel if they started charging for desserts in the buffet or dining room? It was something included when you booked, but maybe they felt like people would pay $3 a pop for those items. You wouldn't starve. You could do without those things. But I sure bet it would rub you the wrong way and make you mad, affordability aside. I'd be mad personally.

Edited by LMaxwell

Yeah but in reality there are no such charges

In reality, there was never a charge for room service.

Let's be honest.....

the reason it doesn't bother you is because you don't use room service. You......go to the buffet so you can 'eat all you want' or to the MDR.

The reason all I posted doesn't bother you is because 'it's not a reality.

But if it was....

You'd be bothered!

Imagine, Chris...only ONE (1) dessert per meal!

Harriet

I don't know where I must have been, but I never remember any decent dinner choices on the room service menu. In fact that might be one of the reasons we have never been users of room service. The only decent room service we have seen was HAL.

I guess if their marketing department wasn't standing in the unemployment line, NCL could spin this around. The proper communication would be that the entire (terrible) room service program has been scrapped and replaced with expanded choices, Lavazaa coffee, guaranteed service, and a friendly smile for just a small fee...