Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

The inherent problem with the "reported" (I'm still trying to get my own descriptive confirmation) increase for room service is $7.95 for a anything from 1 cup of coffee to 4 sandwiches with soup & salad in any cabin or a full meal served course by course by a butler in a suite. A flat fee makes NO sense at all and is outrageous.

As a Platinum Latitudes (about to go over 2nd tier status with 500 points) who is also Diamond with Royal Caribbean (about to go Diamond Plus), I have every motivation in the world to start comparing a dimunition of NCL perks against increasing RCI perks.

Personally, I order coffee & juice every morning in my suite as an eye opener while washing up and dressing before heading out to a full breakfast. I also, order dinner served en suite a third of the evenings. This becomes a very expensive extra for me and could easily be a deal breaker when I compare the perks offered by RCL (e.g. 3 hours comp cocktails every day in a private lounge with canapes' to Diamond, Diamond Plus & Suite guests)

I hope this is not a first step to close the financial gap of NCL with Regent & Oceania in order to moving bookings over to them.

If this turns out to be an accurate report, I hope that NCL will be creating Platinum Plus (@ 250 points) and Platinum Super Plus (@500 points) where these new charges are comped.

Edited by Uniall

One has to pay $25 for the better beach towel than the free basic one that comes with the room.

One also has to pay about $5-10 (whatever is the cost) of ice cream dessert in O'Sheenan's, a complimentary food venue. Where you also pay for drinks like beer not cover by the fare. You also pay for drinks that not include in the fare in buffet and MDR, too.

You pay about $4 for fresh sqeeze juice in the buffet. Oh, there free orange flavored water but its not same thing.

You already pay $39-40 for show at Cirque and Magic Show, where both should be offered free without the cover charge meal. Snd if you're a suite you pretty much have to tip the concierge for reserving you seats at the free shows anyway.

You have to take about X number of cruises (which means you have to had least paid the port fees and taxes) as Latidudes member to get priority tendering anyway.

I could go on and on about all the actual hidden fees no one seems to be complaining that be going on under O'Sheenan for a while but should. And these new charges are a surprise? No its not if you actually been paying attention - took an equivalent of heavy dumbbell to the face to make all of you realize how really extensive and insidious the nickel and diming has been. I've been very aware of nickel and diming, its call "I don't have to pay for the majority of the extras /fall for the ploy to enjoy my vacation.". Some of you should had open your eyes a long time if this is effecting you now since its been going on for like years.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the extra fees to which you're referring are a part of shipboard life. But I think you may be unclear on a couple of things.

For example: pay $25 for an upgraded beach towel? You pay $25 if you LOSE your beach towel, or if you buy an extra-plush souvenir towel from the gift store.

If you paid extra for ice cream at O'Sheehan's (where you pay for your beer because it's a bar), I suppose ice cream wasn't on that day's freebie menu, you order something that's off-menu and they got it for you from a specialty shop such as Carlo's Bake Shop. Of course you'll pay extra, just as you would if you walked up to Carlo's and ordered it directly. Remember - O'Sheehan's is a pub first and complimentary dining second.

As for Cirque or the Illusionarium, these are dinner shows. They're designed as such, from table reservations to theatrical participation of the Maitre D' and servers. They can't modify the style of entertainment because you want to save a few bucks.

Just thinking out loud, but outside of seasoned cruisers and cruise critic members, do you think the majority of passengers would know what is and isn't included when you get into technical details? I booked for my parents, they have been on a couple cruises, but I doubt if I said room service has a fee and ice cream in Osheehans has a fee and this show is a little more, etc. that they would know if that is standard or not and just accept it and make a decision to utilize it or not without any affect on their vacation experience. I'm just wondering at with how oblivious the general population seems to be that NCL figures it's worth a try and they may ultimately make more money than lose.

Gosh, it's hard enough now as it is to get a table in the buffet. Imagine if those who use room service all come to eat there.

Don't worry, in due time the free buffets and restaurants will be gone too, replaced by an automat you get food from and then take back to your room:

machinebank.jpg

Those spaces will then be repurposed into for-fee amenities of some sort.

Sadly, I'm not being facetious; wish I was. I can definitely believe that or something similar may appear in the cruise industry in the not-so-distant future.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Thanks Captain Obvious...we knew this about 276 posts back.

Can you please provide a copy of these "enhanced" menus?

I Just went into the NCL site where it says what is not included in your cruise fare and next to the last one WAS CONVENIENCE CHARGE for Room Service for all except Haven Suites, so does this mean any time we ask the butler for something we will have to pay? Very Confusing, this is our first Suite was looking forward to the perks. Maybe Not? Thoughts on this?

DH runs the butler ragged! I can imagine paying for every visit! The butler service is the selling point for him.... looks like we'll be going back to balcony rooms.

Valley Village

Do you have any idea with a Suite how this effects the Butler delivery of specialty restaurants or whatever? On the NCL website under Whats Not covered in your cruise fare is "Convenience Charge for Room Service for NON- Haven Suites", so obviously they are planning on this going fleet wide, and this is our first suite for the upcoming TA on 4/27 in a SJ suite and we were hoping to take advantage of the Perks, but do not want to pay 7.95 every time Butler brings us something. Thanks for any feedback on this

Also, just trying to think of the rationale behind this from a business standpoint, but if many cruisers are utilizing room service for small items such as a coffee, a piece of fruit or something rather small and insignificant rather than a meal like lunch or dinner, it would seem to be a waste of resources. Having the fee would eliminate those small, time consuming deliveries and leave only meal type orders. Where they can then turn their resources towards other parts of the cruising experience. I really don't know if that's a right or wrong way of doing it, but it's just a thought to throw out there and get some opinions on.

DH runs the butler ragged! I can imagine paying for every visit! The butler service is the selling point for him.... looks like we'll be going back to balcony rooms.

There is absolutely ZERO information that the suite butler service is included or any way affected by this new room service program.

Oh do keep up! Those electrons in Miami must be on a slow day today.:rolleyes:

Oh BTW - a 'convenience' is somewhere I take a dump - don't even think about introducing a charge for that!:p

OK, what is the story for Suite Guests who have always had expanded room service menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

There is absolutely ZERO information that the suite butler service is included or any way affected by this new room service program.

I thinking (hoping) not. Our butlers have always been tipped well. It actually might be cheaper to pay the one fee per trip.

Exactly, We were really looking forward to the perks, Now This, 28 days before we leave for 14 days.

Don't worry, in due time the free buffets and restaurants will be gone too, replaced by an automat you get food from and then take back to your room:

Or save big and pack your own lunches to cruise. Bring your sleeping bag to crash in hallway and take an extra 20% off cruise price. Now we are talking. :D

This statement is pure idiocy....The food is free, but you cant have any of it without paying $7.95. That is NOT complementary food. Will I be able to order and pick the food up myself to avoid this charge? If there is no way to get any without the fee calling it complementary is an insult to our intelligence...

If this logic holds then TECHNICALLY all the specialty restaurants are complementary. We don't pay by the food item there, but we have to pay to use the service.

These people must really think we are knuckle draggers....

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

Unfortunately, the extra fees to which you're referring are a part of shipboard life. But I think you may be unclear on a couple of things.

For example: pay $25 for an upgraded beach towel? You pay $25 if you LOSE your beach towel, or if you buy an extra-plush souvenir towel from the gift store.

If you paid extra for ice cream at O'Sheehan's (where you pay for your beer because it's a bar), I suppose ice cream wasn't on that day's freebie menu, you order something that's off-menu and they got it for you from a specialty shop such as Carlo's Bake Shop. Of course you'll pay extra, just as you would if you walked up to Carlo's and ordered it directly. Remember - O'Sheehan's is a pub first and complimentary dining second.

As for Cirque or the Illusionarium, these are dinner shows. They're designed as such, from table reservations to theatrical participation of the Maitre D' and servers. They can't modify the style of entertainment because you want to save a few bucks.

All are fees that can be easily avoided if one wants to, thats been happening for while before Del Rio showed up. Same thing with UDP, UBP and now room service charges.

Regarding towel exchange on the Breakaway, there one right next to bar in the between main pool and kid'one , that exchange the basic blue towels for the white/aqua ones for $25. Same thing on Carnival - if you didn't like the one that came with room or it was dirty, all you have to do is pay the money to seitch it. Again, another fee person can avoid if they want to.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk