Gratuities/My Time Dining

Yes, as a Brit I can confirm tipping is not the norm...again that is why I'm here asking questions. Thanks for the advice, I will just leave things as they are.

It may help you to know that the "auto-tips" are not a "gratuity" at all.... it's the servers wage.

RCL calls this a "gratuity" but it really isn't. Therefore RCL (and other lines) can advertise a lower base price.

Your son will receive great service from people who depend on gratuities for their salary. .

That is the whole crux of the problem they should not be depending on gratuities, they should be paid a suitable salary for the work they do by the cruise line or whoever employs them. Gratuities /service charges should be included in the price of the cruise and not not even mentioned. Anyone who wants to reward a particular person for doing something special or extra can do so.

Some cruise lines include gratuities either all the time or as a special offer so why is so difficult for them all to do it all the time?

Tipping for Brits in general is not a typical occurrence in the UK.

They may leave a pound or so after a meal if they're feeling generous.

Oh dear, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation there....

That's not my experience, but I live in a city... We DO tip here in the UK. Generally 10% of the bill for a meal. Remember our restaurant staff are paid a salary, and don't solely rely on tips. We don't normally tip bar staff though, unless they are serving us at our table. Taxi drivers and hairdressers normally receive tips too (as well as other service providers). They would only expect to get a couple of £.

Here's an anecdotal story you may be interested in - My friend who is a London cab driver says that our American visitors seem relieved at not "having" to tip him, and in his opinion, generally are the worst tippers! They tend to give him a few pennies (if anything) and a big smile.

So I suppose, it's a learning curve for all us travellers, what you may read in a guidebook (or on the internet) may not actually be accurate, and I would say that Brit's not tipping at home is not what I experience in my everyday life here.

That is the whole crux of the problem they should not be depending on gratuities, they should be paid a suitable salary for the work they do by the cruise line or whoever employs them. Gratuities /service charges should be included in the price of the cruise and not not even mentioned. Anyone who wants to reward a particular person for doing something special or extra can do so.

Some cruise lines include gratuities either all the time or as a special offer so why is so difficult for them all to do it all the time?

I agree that maybe this is the way things SHOULD be but I'm sure there are reasons they do things the way they do. Unless and until procedures change, we must adapt to the way things actually ARE.

I thought the original questions were interesting, but man did the "discussion" veer off course and not in a particularly friendly fashion!

So, to answer your original post: MTD only applies to the main dining rooms. With a young child I would prefer MTD for the flexibility vs. having a set time each night.

Oh dear, that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation there....

That's not my experience, but I live in a city... We DO tip here in the UK. Generally 10% of the bill for a meal. Remember our restaurant staff are paid a salary, and don't solely rely on tips. We don't normally tip bar staff though, unless they are serving us at our table. Taxi drivers and hairdressers normally receive tips too (as well as other service providers). They would only expect to get a couple of £.

Here's an anecdotal story you may be interested in - My friend who is a London cab driver says that our American visitors seem relieved at not "having" to tip him, and in his opinion, generally are the worst tippers! They tend to give him a few pennies (if anything) and a big smile.

So I suppose, it's a learning curve for all us travellers, what you may read in a guidebook (or on the internet) may not actually be accurate, and I would say that Brit's not tipping at home is not what I experience in my everyday life here.

I totally agree with all your points.

I always give a 10% tip in a restaurant.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I am sure there is a reason they do things the way they do BUT if it is wrong there is no way it should be accepted!

What it needs is a full enquiry across all cruise lines and more transparency. What proof do we have that 100% of the gratuities are

distributed fairly. If it is income is it taxed? Different cruise ships have now started calling it a service charge others a gratuity others it is part of a staff incentive scheme.

Here we go again. Please Mr. Euro, tell us all again about how American companies need to pay their employees.

They don't all do it because they don't want to. How's that? And considering you can prepay your gratuities when you book the cruise, it's essentially included in your booking anyways. The cruise lines that include it in the cost of the fare also have higher fares. You pay it one way or another. So really, who cares?

here we go again. Please mr. Euro, tell us all again about how american companies need to pay their employees.

They don't all do it because they don't want to. How's that? And considering you can prepay your gratuities when you book the cruise, it's essentially included in your booking anyways. The cruise lines that include it in the cost of the fare also have higher fares. You pay it one way or another. So really, who cares?

+1^ Proud to be an American!!

To the OP it seems as if everyone is concerned about tips and not answering your other questions regarding dining.

My Time Dining means you make a reservation each evening for the main dining room at a time convenient to you and your family. If you don't make a reservation you can just show up. You may have to wait a short time without a reservation; just like a land-based restaurant.

This only applies to the main dining room. The buffet, called the Windjammer, you can show up any time (actual times for breakfast, lunch and dinner) are posted in the cruise compass daily. Same thing with other snack-type venues.

As far as gratuities, highly suggest leaving in place for everyone. If you want to prepay that's your choice; otherwise billed daily. Children do make work both in the dining venues and cabin. Leave in place and if you don't want to call it a tip, think of it as a service charge. By leaving in place you have covered everyone. If you want to tip extra for anyone you think is outstanding you can top extra in cash.

To the OP it seems as if everyone is concerned about tips and not answering your other questions regarding dining.

My Time Dining means you make a reservation each evening for the main dining room at a time convenient to you and your family. If you don't make a reservation you can just show up. You may have to wait a short time without a reservation; just like a land-based restaurant.

This only applies to the main dining room. The buffet, called the Windjammer, you can show up any time (actual times for breakfast, lunch and dinner) are posted in the cruise compass daily. Same thing with other snack-type venues.

As far as gratuities, highly suggest leaving in place for everyone. If you want to prepay that's your choice; otherwise billed daily. Children do make work both in the dining venues and cabin. Leave in place and if you don't want to call it a tip, think of it as a service charge. By leaving in place you have covered everyone. If you want to tip extra for anyone you think is outstanding you can top extra in cash.

You have explained everything perfectly.

We always prepay our tips and bring plenty of dollars to give to crew who enhance our cruise.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app