The new ship

Les Picantins

Now I know that the Seabourn office follows this forum. I also have knowledge that they are in the concept phase of the new vessel. So let's all throw out ideas of what we would like to see included in this new expanded Odyssey class ship. After all, two heads are better than one.

I would like to see:

a thalassotherapy type of pool with strong jets and perhaps a waterbike or two in the serene area of the Spa

televisions built into the mirrors in the cabins like on Silversea

a healthy juice bar in the Square

a full circle jogging deck

and just for the fun of making the suggestion, deep sea fishing stations for sea days

and of course, a MDR that is open for lunch

Do you agree/disagree or have other suggestions? Now's the moment to speak up or forever hold your peace.

Les Picantins, I agree...although I am not clear on how a deep sea fishing station would operate w the ship moving.

Some other ideas;

--Return of the Filipino bands in the lounge --or an equivalent

--At least 2 alternate dining venues for dinner [italian, Asian, Indian, French or whatever].

There certainly is lots of beef available through the MDR menu but many seem to enjoy a dedicated steakhouse.

--Designing some new menu items as well as sourcing some local products

--More interesting shops [but frankly, almost always an issue on all liners]

Just had another thought - one which I think would please all Maitre'ds - only one way into the main dining room. We have had the embarrassment of being taken to a table by a waiter to find someone else already ensconced in there. They had - as do quite a few - walked in at the back entrance and just found themselves a table. Obviously this is only important in the evenings, when the room does get fairly full. I have seen this sort of thing ending in a bit of unpleasantness! There are various perfectly good reasons for the Maitre'd placing people - dividing them between different waiter stations, so that no one gets too busy at the same time for instance.

televisions built into the mirrors in the cabins like on Silversea

a full circle jogging deck

and of course, a MDR that is open for lunch

Agree with these.

Would like to add that the 'jogging deck' also needs to accomodate those of us who prefer brisk walking to jogging, and we can do so without annoying the joggers.

MDR open for breakfast too.

a healthy juice bar in the Square

That would be great!

And on the other end of the spectrum: ingredients for more up-to-date cocktails. SB does a great job doing classic cocktails but lacks ingredients to make artisanal cocktails that are all the rage by modern-day "mixologists."

Vegan dessert selection

Better toiletries

Improved & more authentic Asian and other non-Western cuisine

A separate, fully-enclosed smoking lounge - apparently this is being considered by management.

Edited by sfvoyage

Nice idea for a post but if Seabourn read this and take the ideas on board I can see our day rate going up to over $1500 a day.

One or two things that don't cost much when incorporated into an initial design may happen but I just can't see much else changing. I think we sometimes forget that Seabourn is sailing full so I am of the opinion that only a few tweeks will change.

rl787...You may be correct but I imagine that each line tries to design it's new build for the 'future', with an eye on competitors' and to correct situations already identified as problematic [perhaps the columns in the show lounge]. I don't expect SB to have a rock climbing wall but I do imagine that there will be changes. It wasn't so very long ago that there were no coffee bars....then self service machines...now baristas.

Anyway, it's an interesting thread and stirs the imagination.

One of the things I would like to see enhanced is the dinning options for outside. Many guests enjoy eating alfresco in the evening and doing something creative with either menu or venue would be appreciated. I'm thinking the patio grill.

I agree with the post regarding the Filipino entertainers. They are fantastic. I do however hope they keep the same mix of staff as they have now as I believe this is one of the things that set Seabourn apart from other cruise companies.

1- a REAL Asian restaurant alternating among Chinese regional, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai in place of R2 and with a more intimate and sophisticated feel than the Colonnade;

2- no smoking on cabin verandas or anywhere indoors (I hope in 2015, with or without a new ship); and

3- a smoking lounge, fully sealed of course, as on Cunard (if it pays for itself- as per costs/benefits of attracting/holding onto the smoker market).

Happy sailing!

1. The piece of furniture across from the bed- the long cabinet:

It has shelves now, would be much better if they were pull out drawers. It was difficult to see what was on the shelves(dark/no light)

If the shelves were replaced by pull out drawers would be more useful.

2. The shower could be made a little bit larger.

3. Also agree on a specialty restaurants- Italian, Steak House, Asian.

--more comfortable pool chairs/loungers

--more comfortable veranda chairs

Agreed on that one. However, although I also think the shelves in the cupboards are a bit inconvenient, I think they were probably introduced as people got tired of their neighbours banging the drawers shut - we certainly did sometimes.

1- a REAL Asian restaurant alternating among Chinese regional, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai in place of R2 and with a more intimate and sophisticated feel than the Colonnade;

2- no smoking on cabin verandas or anywhere indoors (I hope in 2015, with or without a new ship); and

3- a smoking lounge, fully sealed of course, as on Cunard (if it pays for itself- as per costs/benefits of attracting/holding onto the smoker market).

Happy sailing!

Yes. Yes. Yes. (Not to quote Joyce.)

While a pan-Asian replacement option for R2 is fine, I think a new SB vessel needs at least one other dedicated dining option, be it steak, Italian, French or sea food.

How about some nice aft balcony cabins, like almost all the mass-market cruiselines provide?

Why is that prime space allocated to The Club, The Grand Salon, and the Spa......move then forward where they belong. Even the Square can be moved forward!

We love Princess for those aft cabins!!

How about some nice aft balcony cabins, like almost all the mass-market cruiselines provide?

Why is that prime space allocated to The Club, The Grand Salon, and the Spa......move then forward where they belong. Even the Square can be moved forward!

If Seabourn did as you suggest then it would be like Princess and that would not be good for Seabourn guests at all.

Seabourn have aft suites on a couple of ships

Some of us during a break from dancing at The Club like to go outside and watch the wake of the ship and cool down and this would be restricted to a privileged few who book a Aft balcony if they implemented this. This is true for those who use the Grand Saloon as well, people wanting to have the option to stand outside. So no I would not want this idea, Sorry:o.

Julie

I am with Frantic36 and Mr L on this.

Firstly, there is NO need to copy anything from Princess or the other mass market lines. So don't encourage the cost cutter/revenue hungry bean counter wannabe ship architects!

One of the best things about Seabourn is the space per passenger (and crew per passenger) ratio which the mass market lines can not offer since they are what they are...

No, the rear area behind the Club on the Odyssey class deck 5 should remain the oasis of quiet with few people but accessible to all as open space. It's another sanctuary and choice for those who have discovered the area, just like the sunny deck at the top front of deck 11. Heck, Seabourn could add cabins there too and the Odyssey class ship would look like the Silversea Silver Spirit- top heavy and something like the Odyssey size wise with that extra deck a la mass market new ships. Nothing elegant about that, either.

Happy sailing!

While I generally enjoy most things Seabourn, I do not look forward to some of the changes which seem to be being introduced on a purely cost-basis. I already have some concerns about a bigger ship which, it seems, will have significantly more passengers but without a corresponding increase in public space - one thing I love is that you can always find a quiet corner.

What I would like to see is an alternative to Restaurant 2. While I do enjoy the food an experience here I could well live without it for something like a pan-Asian restaurant or even an Italian or French speciality restaurant. This would not greatly increase the costs but would, I think, appeal to more passengers, especially on longer cruises where R2 is relatively underused compared to the waiting lists on short cruises.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking forward to a nice long cruise on the Quest next March ...