Credit card compromise at Carnival port GC

fishtaco

Be extra careful in Grand Cayman as it seems my credit card details were stolen at a restaurant/cafe while in port during June.

My Bank security was onto it quick smart when they noticed charges early July after I had already returned to Australia.

I know it was GC because I have different credit cards and use them for different purchase types whilst overseas, only one did I use in restaurants and only once was it used in a restaurant to be compromised.

I know its been said a million times but dont let your CC out of your immediate sight or even hand it to anyone for a purchase and make sure you notify Your bank of travel dates start to finish .;)

Not much was used just small transactions ranging from $1.49 to $64.00 but well done Credit Card security department and be vigilant with every purchase:)

Be extra careful in Grand Cayman as it seems my credit card details were stolen at a restaurant/cafe while in port during June.

My Bank security was onto it quick smart when they noticed charges early July after I had already returned to Australia.

I know it was GC because I have different credit cards and use them for different purchase types whilst overseas, only one did I use in restaurants and only once was it used in a restaurant to be compromised.

I know its been said a million times but dont let your CC out of your immediate sight or even hand it to anyone for a purchase and make sure you notify Your bank of travel dates start to finish .;)

Not much was used just small transactions ranging from $1.49 to $64.00 but well done Credit Card security department and be vigilant with every purchase:)

Thanks, we will be there in a couple weeks. Haven't updated the tickers yet...

This happened to us in Key West a couple years ago; sorry about your issues but glad the bank caught it early and took action, as did ours. I did not know we could register our travel dates...great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, we will be there in a couple weeks. Haven't updated the tickers yet...

This happened to us in Key West a couple years ago; sorry about your issues but glad the bank caught it early and took action, as did ours. I did not know we could register our travel dates...great idea.

You should always notify your Bank or credit card provider with details of any"Overseas" travel plans. If they know which countries you are going to visit and your return date back home they pass this info to security and it is logged against your details so if your card is used overseas after your return date the charges will become "Pending" and security will block your card until they contact you about the charges. If the charges are fraudulent the CC company does not pay out the charges and you are issued with a new card.

I personally would not use "Debit" cards because the banks are nowhere near as concerned about "your" money loss as they are about their own:)

This is the exact reason why:

1. You should always use a specific credit card for travel only and different from one you use for everyday charges

2. You should never use a debit card for travel as you op are actually out not a penny of your own money!!!

Bravo for not using debit cards!!!!

That sucks, but are you sure that's where it got compromised? My brother's card was compromised, he thinks at DisneyWorld in February, and the fraudulent charges didn't appear until early June. And the thief was trying to buy stuff at a Home Depot in Michigan. (No idea why he assumes it was at Disney, either, since he uses his cards online all the time.) It could have been compromised on another island or even another trip and the number sold or saved for later use. There's really no way of tracking it unless the card is brand new and only used once before it's compromised. We use our cards all the time in Cayman, for multiple trips a year over the last decade, and have never had problems. I guess if it was there, you hit that one bad apple, kind of like my brother at Disney...

Edited by bookbabe

I've never had credit cards compromised on vacations...but several times at home. The bank always caught it before I did. It's just life. It's definitely good to be vigilant, just accept that you're never 100% immune from it.

Something bizarre happened once with my mom: she had a credit card that she basically never took out of the house, and didn't use online (so yeah, she pretty much never used it). And yet somehow it got compromised - the bank called to tell her that someone was trying to use her card at truck stops in Florida (and we're in Colorado). My only guess was that because the credit cards insist on sending you "cash advance checks", even when you ask them not to, some of these checks got swiped in the mail.

For Christmas I got one of them metal cases that is suppose to protect your credit cards from certains types of fraud. I rarely use my credit card at the port unless its a store that is legit and the cruise line supports for things like that, I bring Cash.

ive been luckly and never had anything happen to me

Does Carnival own the port in Grand Caymen?

That sucks, but are you sure that's where it got compromised? My brother's card was compromised, he thinks at DisneyWorld in February, and the fraudulent charges didn't appear until early June. And the thief was trying to buy stuff at a Home Depot in Michigan. (No idea why he assumes it was at Disney, either, since he uses his cards online all the time.) It could have been compromised on another island or even another trip and the number sold or saved for later use. There's really no way of tracking it unless the card is brand new and only used once before it's compromised. We use our cards all the time in Cayman, for multiple trips a year over the last decade, and have never had problems. I guess if it was there, you hit that one bad apple, kind of like my brother at Disney...

It must have been GC because I only used the card once whilst overseas (from Australia) and that was GC,I was caught out by the food prices and didnt have enough cash left on me at the end of the day so used my card. I use different cards for different purchases overseas, one for hotels one for shopping one for restaurants/cafes and one for online/telephone tour bookings.

This trip though I brought $5000 US Cash so all my transactions were cash apart from hotels but the card I used for hotels is a different one.

So where in GC did you use this card?