renting a car..is it worth it for only 6 hours in port????

marshabear

we will be in Key West next month..DH wants to rent a car for the day but I am not sure this is the best idea...we dock at Pier B...is the car rental place close by???

we are only there from 0730 to 2pm....would we get our money's worth or should we look into another idea????

Marsha

No way, unless you or your husband is mobility challenged.

If this is your first time in KW you need to walk around or take a trolley/train tour and check out the old town area.

Duval St (the main tourist area) is only a mile and a quarter long and parking is almost non-existent.

Mike:)

No way, unless you or your husband is mobility challenged.

If this is your first time in KW you need to walk around or take a trolley/train tour and check out the old town area.

Duval St (the main tourist area) is only a mile and a quarter long and parking is almost non-existent.

I agree ...

• 2 weeks later...
Electric cars are super fun and if they have the county (Monroe, I believe) license plates, you can park In residential parking.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not any more.

Those days are over and beginning next month you must have a local sticker on the vehicle to utilize those parking spaces.

We took the Cityview Trolley which was great. We did the complete loop and then stopped at the places we wanted. We were docked at the Navy Pier, and the trolley picked us up at the ship and we had another trolley let us off when we were ready to come back.

We took the Cityview Trolley which was great. We did the complete loop and then stopped at the places we wanted. We were docked at the Navy Pier, and the trolley picked us up at the ship and we had another trolley let us off when we were ready to come back.

Smart move.

We would not rent a car either. As mentioned, parking is very difficult to get. Just do the trolley tour if you want to get a overview of Key West. Get a map from a info stand or download one before you go & walk around. Easy to get around there. We spent a week there last year & once we parked the car, we never got back in it until we left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We don't think it's worth it to rent a car for a 5 day stay! As long as you plan on staying in Key West, you don't need a car, nor would I think I would want one. We've flown into Key West and spent 5-6 days there at a time and have never once rented a car. Most everything is within easy walking distance. And, I'd hate to have to try and find a place to park. You'll end up walking farther from a parking place than walking directly where you would want to go in most instances.

$26.00/person seems steep to hop on and hop off to me. I don't want a tour and my friend can't walk much at all. This port seems as though it would be a challenge for him.

Key West will most probably be the easiest port to navigate that you will find. The ships dock right at the tourist area (or you will be taken there). Duval St is only a mile and a third long and is completely flat.

• 2 weeks later...