What if I'm late?

missdorado26

We are cruising on the carnival glory on June 20 out of Boston at 5pm. I work that day til 1030 and then was going to go straight there but I'm coming from ny so it's a 3 1/2 hour drive. If all goes well and as planned we should get there by 3 (I'm starting my leave time at 11 since I will need a few minutes to get my stuff together etc). Will that be too late to board? What time is the latest you can board the ship that leaves at 5. Also once we get to the parking area, what do we do next? Check in? Just wait for security to go through our bags? What is the procedure?

Thanks

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

That's probably cutting it way too close. Especially since in/around Boston at around 3pm is very trafficy. A normal 20-minute commute just through the highway in Boston can turn into an hour-plus commute. Fridays are usually worse then the rest of the week, but Thursdays can also be bad now that we're getting into summer time. I recommend trying to leave work earlier or getting the day off

We are cruising on the carnival glory on June 20 out of Boston at 5pm. I work that day til 1030 and then was going to go straight there but I'm coming from ny so it's a 3 1/2 hour drive. If all goes well and as planned we should get there by 3 (I'm starting my leave time at 11 since I will need a few minutes to get my stuff together etc). Will that be too late to board? What time is the latest you can board the ship that leaves at 5. Also once we get to the parking area, what do we do next? Check in? Just wait for security to go through our bags? What is the procedure?

Thanks

You are cutting it way too close. You are leaving yourself no time for traffic or any other unforseen issue. Try to get the day off if possible.

As far as the port itself, here is a link to the cruiseport site which will give you directions and the location of the parking garage. The garage is a short walk away but I would suggest that you drop bags off and then park, especially if you are going to be so late. There are a lot of porters that will have the bags out of your car before you even know it so make sure you don't let them grab your carryon.

http://www.massport.com/port-of-boston/Cruiseport%20Boston/CruiseportBoston.aspx

The latest you can board is 90 minutes before on embarkation day.

I would not time this so close.

See if you can be off that day or get off early.

You really don't want to miss the ship.

Keith

I agree, take that day off. Your time line is cutting it too close.

There is no leeway for "late" with the cruise line. The "must be on board 90 minutes before departure" is firm and based on the time the cruise line has to report the final manifest to the US Customs Dept. If you are late they can - and likely will - deny you boarding and there will be no refund of your money.

Do NOT take that chance. You need to find a way to leave sooner so that you are there well in advance of the 3:30 cut off. Also coming from NY into Boston there WILL be delays. You are really taking a huge risk IMO.

Omg I had no idea the latest you can board is 90 minutes before! Now I'm so worried. I can't take off. I work in a school and its he last day of school. I thought I would have enough time since it leaves at 5. I thought they allow you to board up until 5. I'm obviously a first time cruiser lol. What is I left at 1030 on the dot? It's. 3 1/2 hour drive which would put me at 2pm leaving 1 1/2 hour leeway. I know I should cut it so. Lose but I really can't cll out.

Omg I had no idea the latest you can board is 90 minutes before! Now I'm so worried. I can't take off. I work in a school and its he last day of school. I thought I would have enough time since it leaves at 5. I thought they allow you to board up until 5. I'm obviously a first time cruiser lol. What is I left at 1030 on the dot? It's. 3 1/2 hour drive which would put me at 2pm leaving 1 1/2 hour leeway. I know I should cut it so. Lose but I really can't cll out.

Very surprised that through Carnival or your TA that the cruise information you received - including your documentation - didn't make that clear with you ahead of time. But unfortunately the final boarding time is as described. And given your situation I know this is not what you want to hear but the ship will not wait for you.

If the only recourse you have is to leave as stated, then good luck and I hope you don't run into delays. You will need some time for parking, luggage drop off, and check in so realistically I think you will need to be at the ship terminal parking area not later than 3:00 - and earlier if possible. I am sorry for the stress with this but you really have no choice but to find a way to be there as described.

Good luck and more importantly, once on board, enjoy your cruise!

Thank you. Yes im actually kind of annoyed at the TA since I told him what my plan was and he never said thy I would be cutting it close. I know it's not his fault but I wish he had mentioned something. I will see if I can possible leave earlier!

Thank you. Yes im actually kind of annoyed at the TA since I told him what my plan was and he never said thy I would be cutting it close. I know it's not his fault but I wish he had mentioned something. I will see if I can possible leave earlier!

Well I guess it's too late to worry about that now, so focus on getting there and enjoying yourself. One suggestion I might make is - not sure of which way you would be going - avoid the Merritt Parkway through CT. I was just up that way last week and they are doing tree removal along the side of the road and periodically closing the right hand lane as needed. Fairly long backups can occur at any time as a result. Just a word of caution.....

Where in NY are you coming from?

Thank you. From what mapquest said its taking from I84 east to I91 and then then exit 25 in south boston. I'm going to try to get out at 10. Hopefully that helps. I didn't think there would be much traffic since its a Thursday and its during working hours.

If you are driving yourself you need to have your bags in your fully gassed up car and go directly from work. If someone else is driving you still need to have your bags in the car and they need to be waiting to pick you up at the door of the school the minute you RUN out of the building. Don't waste even a couple of minutes stopping at home to pick up your luggage or driving through a fast food joint to get coffee. Something always goes wrong if I think I have time to stop "for just a minute." Good luck!

I'm coming from wappinge falls area in ny. It's about an hour north is manhattan.

Well, that's good, you don't need to go through NYC. Your 3 1/2 hours is probably closer to 3 hours or 3 hours 15 minutes so that will buy you a little more time if there aren't any issues on 84 or the Mass Pike.

Every minute is going to count because if you aren't checked in by the required time, you will not be allowed to board.

I hope you are able to get out early but if you don't, run to the car and go as quick as you can. Have whoever is going with you pick you up with a full tank of gas and everything already in the car.

I hope you make it!

If you are driving yourself you need to have your bags in your fully gassed up car and go directly from work. If someone else is driving you still need to have your bags in the car and they need to be waiting to pick you up at the door of the school the minute you RUN out of the building. Don't waste even a couple of minutes stopping at home to pick up your luggage or driving through a fast food joint to get coffee. Something always goes wrong if I think I have time to stop "for just a minute." Good luck!

This is probably the best advice and I was going to post something similar. If you are going with another person who can drive, have them drop you off at work/pick you up. Don't waste time having to go somewhere else to pick someone up.

Since it's this Friday, I would get everything you need ready starting tonight. Make a check list of what you need and pack it. Since it's Monday, that still gives you a few days to pick up what you are missing or want to take with you that you don't have. I would even consider getting things like a 2nd of all toiletries and pack them now, that way you don't have to scramble with them in the morning.

Make sure the bags are in the car on Thursday night except any carry-on's with meds and things you can't pack the night before or need to carry on (aka wine, soda, electronics).

Make a thermos of coffee and a cooler of snacks/drinks for your drive. I wouldn't stop for anything that you don't have to legally stop for on the way there. Hitting a drive thru could cost you 20-30 mins of time which I wouldn't even suggest doing with a 2 1/2 hour window.

The most important thing is yes you WILL be in a hurry. That doesn't mean be a speed demon, run red lights, or do anything else like that on the road. No matter how rushed you feel, what ever you were doing did not save enough time if you get pulled over!

The bottom line is we are all saying you are making a big mistake to cut things so close.

Try to get off so you can drive the night before or early in the morning.

Even if someone drives you there are things that can go wrong including the person picking you up late or getting into an accident or bad traffic.

Keith

...taking from I84 east to I91 and then then exit 25 in south boston.

There is another highway in there! I84 to I91 is correct - but 91 does not go into boston! More than likely you want to connect to I90 West - also known as the "Mass. Pike" to exit 25! 91 runs north and south and would take you WAY into Vermont!!!

The bottom line is we are all saying you are making a big mistake to cut things so close.

Try to get off so you can drive the night before or early in the morning.

Even if someone drives you there are things that can go wrong including the person picking you up late or getting into an accident or bad traffic.

Keith

Apparently that may not be possible. The OP is a teacher and according to an earlier post, that is their last day - needs to be there for check out, etc. (know this as my wife is a teacher as well and today was her last day - she had to be there to go through an end of year check out process). So unfortunately there may not be any other option.

There is another highway in there! I84 to I91 is correct - but 91 does not go into boston! More than likely you want to connect to I90 West - also known as the "Mass. Pike" to exit 25! 91 runs north and south and would take you WAY into Vermont!!!

Good catch! The OP posted at the same time I did so I never even noticed that post. She should definitely be going 84 to 90 (Mass Pike).

I would suggest using Google maps instead of Mapquest. We find them to be much more accurate.

Actually your TA should know that you have to be on board 90 minutes before the ship sails.

That is one of his repsonsibilites to make certain that all his customers know what to expect -- specially since this is your first cruise.

Can you talk to your principal and explain your situation and see if he can release you earlier in the morning?

Make certain that you have all your documents completed before you leave for the ship -- have them with you -- have passports, etc.

I hope all works out for you.

Archived