Cozumel and Progreso, What to do?

Sarcastic Mama

Hello! We are going 5 days out of NOLA on the Triumph in Jan. We haven't been to Cozumel or Progreso and would like honest opinions on what to and not to do. There are 5 of us, youngest is 17. I hate spending money on a shore excursion based on the ship description, and it's a flop. Thanks! :cool:

In Cozumel, you may like Mr. Sanchos, if you enjoythe beach. It's easy to get there by taxi--right at the port, about 20 minutes. Just leave yourself enough time to return to port. Check out their website. If you want the all inclusive option, you can reserve for a very small deposit. I found out re Mr. Sanchos from these forums--best advice ever!

We will be going back to Cozumel for a 2nd time in August. The first time we rented a car and had a leisurely drive around the island and made many stops, ate some food, took lots of pics, etc. had a great time. In August we are going to have our kids (24 year olds) with us so we are going to still rent a car but plan to stop at Paradise Beach http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/ for a few hours then proceed on our leisurely drive. It is very easy and not so expensive ($15-$18) for a taxi and the entry fee for the beach is $3. We stopped here on the first visit and thought it would be a good place to go if we were to return. For us it will be a good time. Can't help you with Progreso though, we are headed there in August and still kinda scratching our heads on that one...

I honestly can't remember the name but we took in some ruins in Progresso through an independent operator. There was cenote to swim in, a pyramid to climb and other artifacts. Glad we did it but probably wouldn't do it again.

We have been to Cozumel 13 times on a cruise (and land trips as well). Cozumel is probably the 2nd busiest (Nassau being number 1) cruise port in the Caribbean. There can be up to 6or even on very circumstances, 7 cruise ships in port on any given day. Without really knowing the specific likes and dislikes, here is a rambling of things to do. The downtown area is full of shops and restaurants as well as some famous bars (there are 2 at the pier as well). Before leaving this point, there are tons of shops at the pier as well, and they know and understand cruisers and their spending patterns. A cab is relatively inexpensive and the rate and drop off points are very well established. There is only one town on the island, so it is pretty hard to get lost. As previous mentioned, Mr Sanchos is one of the top rated excursions. Paradise beach is another. You can go here jus by walking off and getting cab.

If you are adventurous, the other side of the island is rustic and offers some spectacular (Atlantic side) beaches that have a restaurant/bar attached. One of our favorite ship excursions is a snorkel catamaran that ends up near Paradise beach. Great snorkeling (fairly strong current), in my opinion significantly better than most Caribbean islands.

I'd suggest Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel and the Chichen Itza ruins in Progreso. In progreso you can also book excursions through autoprogreso cheaper than carnival. You will ride their free shuttle to and from the pier. Sometimes they will offer you discounted rates on excursions when you are on the shuttle..but no guarantees.

http://autoprogreso.com/Cruise.html

We've done Passion Island twice - once by Twister boat and once on a double decker boat like what they use to tender. We've also done San Francisco Beach club several times. I've heard great things about Mr. Sancho's as well. We just haven't booked in advance in Cozumel.

I haven't been to Progreso in years, but our neighbors went to an all inclusive resort for the day. I think they did it through the ship, but not positive. I'll see if she remembers.

We used autoprogresso to an all inclusive beach and would do it again. Fairly nice beach, lunch, and drinks for $35. Transportation included. Not bad.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

That is a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been to Cozumel a few times... We've done the Mexican Cooking class/beach excursion.. We loved it!! We've done the ATV excursion...had a blast!!! We've also done the city tour... My favorite of all of those was the cooking class...

We used autoprogresso to an all inclusive beach and would do it again. Fairly nice beach, lunch, and drinks for $35. Transportation included. Not bad.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

We have used Autoprogresso many times. Great operator. This last time we had Carnival price match the beach resort on Autoprogresso as we were in a large group and wanted to try something new.

We did this itinerary out of Galveston, and I honestly hadn't planned anything for Progresso. My husband and I took the kids into the pier for a little shopping, and then decided that we would take the free bus into town to see what it looked like. This was completely spur of the moment, we have previously discussed just going back to the boat. Once we got in to town, autoprogresso offered us discounts on the tour buses that were waiting at the bus stop. We ended up taking a bus ride around town for just a few dollars. I'm glad we went.

There is also a free beach in Progresso. It is just a few blocks walk from the bus terminal, a lot of people from my roll call went there. They had inexpensive massages, and a decent beach.

In Progreso, the pier is in an industrial area which, in my opinion, does not give an appealing first impression. There are some port shops and vendors near the pier and a beach area that gets mixed reviews....not much else. However, there are some great excursion opportunities away from the port, particularly if you are interested in history. Progreso has relatively easy access to three Mayan ruins that are very much worth seeing. Chichen Itza, Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun. Chichen Itza and Uxmal are larger and more impressive but Dzibilchaltun is considerably closer to the Port. I recommend Uxmal because it is as impressive as Chichen Itza but much less crowded and commercialized. Also, the city of Merida - which is about 45 minutes south of Progreso, is an interesting place to visit...it has a sizeable American expatriate population, especially retirees. I suggest getting away from the Port for sights and activities that go beyond walking about souvenir shops.

In Cozumel, the ship will dock about 3 miles from downtown San Miguel which is the only real town on the island. While there are quite a few shops and restaurants/bars at the Port, there are a lot of fun things to do in Cozumel so no need to hang out at the Port all day. Back to history, there is a small Mayan ruin on the island but it pales in comparison to other sites. Tulum, which is on the mainland, is impressive but a lengthy trip that requires taking a ferry to Playa Del Carmen and then a bus to Tulum. Many people choose to do a beach day that includes drinks and food. Others take advantage of the great snorkeling or diving that can be found in Cozumel. If you want to see more of the island, the Atlantic side is quite picturesque. It's been a couple of years since we did so but I think you can get a private driver or even a cab to drive you around the only road that circles back into San Miguel for $50 to $100 depending on the number of people, stops, and time. Standard stops along the way are the natural bridge, Coconuts (a cliffside bar on the back side), and the Tequila farm/factory. In San Miguel, there are many jewelry stores to peruse along with the standard gift, liquor, and souvenir shops. You will be approached by store owners seeking to get you into their stores as well as various people asking if you want cuban cigars or tequila....not unlike St. Thomas. But, if you simply say you are not interested, most will tell you to enjoy Cozumel and let it go at that. We once did an ATV tour out in the jungle (which is more scrub brush) which we really enjoyed.

Enjoy the Western Caribbean!

We have done Nachi Cocom and Passion Island in Cozumel, both are great, but Nachi is hands down my favorite. In Progresso we did an all inclusive thing through the ship at a very nice resort (from what I remember about it --- they were pretty heavy pourers!). One thing I do remember in Progresso were the guards near port with machine guns, that freaked me out a tiny bit.

• 1 month later...

We've done this itinerary twice and, in Progresso we've been to the ruins at Uxmal both times. We booked with Carnival, but I believe Autprogresso offers a tour there too. It's about an hour and a half each way, but the ruins are amazing and you can climb a pyramid there. The second time we took our the 12 year-old son and he really enjoyed the trip.

In Cozumel we had a great time with both our boys on the Amazing Race and we also enjoy Paradise Beach. PB is more ala carte, so you only pay for what you're going to use, I'm not climbing on the inflatables, so I don't have to buy a wrist band. I really don't think you can go wrong in Cozumel.

I cannot recommend Nachi Cocom enough!!! For $55 you get a great beach chair under a palapa, great drinks and a delicious 3 course meal. The service is fantastic and they only allow for a certain amount of reservations each day! We're going back in February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last cruise we booked Salsa, salsa and margaritas through Carnival. Nervous it would be blah...oh my lord...so much fun! We've done the dolphin thing, Paradise beach, etc. It was soo good that if we port there again we are definitely doing a repeat. FYI we didn't do the dance part of it as it's just not our thing but still felt included by staff