Gift cards as ADDITIONAL tips

asmith19

Hi! I have a bunch of $10 Starbucks gift cards left over from the holidays. Would it be acceptable for me to give them as additional daily tips to the room stewards (on top of the standard tip that we've already pre-paid AND on top of a first-day cash tip for some special requests such as daily ice bucket refreshing) or would that be of no value to them?

We are more than happy to tip with cash if this is not acceptable, but I'm thinking outside the box and wanting to acknowledge extra help they provide.

Please don't flame me! I'm asking so I do the right thing!

(Itinerary originates in a major US port with two stops in US territories/ commonwealths that both have Starbucks, plus gift cards can be used online.)

Thanks in advance!

Nice idea but remember not everyone drinks coffee. For example, I don't ever go to Starbucks because I don't drink coffee nor do I care for the other stuff they sell. Just because there is a Starbucks in port, not every employee gets to be off in that port.
Personally, I stick to cash!

I would stick with cash. It always fits, is to everyone's taste and does not require going to specific location to spend.

The topic of tipping with something other than cash comes up on CC quite often and the overriding sentiment is to stick with cash.

[quote name='Trainer']Nice idea but remember [COLOR="Red"]not everyone drinks coffee[/COLOR]. For example, I don't ever go to Starbucks because I don't drink coffee nor do I care for the other stuff they sell. Just because there is a Starbucks in port, [COLOR="Red"]not every employee gets to be off in that port.[/COLOR]Personally, I stick to [COLOR="Red"]cash[/COLOR]![/QUOTE]
Yes, yes, and yes.

[quote name='asmith19']Hi! I have a bunch of $10 Starbucks gift cards left over from the holidays. Would it be acceptable for me to give them as additional daily tips to the room stewards (on top of the standard tip that we've already pre-paid AND on top of a first-day cash tip for some special requests such as daily ice bucket refreshing) or would that be of no value to them?

We are more than happy to tip with cash if this is not acceptable, but I'm thinking outside the box and wanting to acknowledge extra help they provide.

Please don't flame me! I'm asking so I do the right thing!

(Itinerary originates in a major US port with two stops in US territories/ commonwealths that both have Starbucks, plus gift cards can be used online.)

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Some religions, such as Muslim, do not drink coffee.
No guarantee the recipient would have port time. Their online time is usually spent communicating with family.
Cash is a much better reward.

Money...only money! I hate "gift cards"...they are a pain! Store gift cards may not be where the recipient shops, and those "pre-paid" visa things....they take a "fee" so it's a bad deal.

Just give them some extra money...that's why they work (isn't that why you work???) and that's what they can use.

I am a cash tipper but I will dive into the deep end here. If you are tipping on top of the service charge then that's a little different to me. For instance a $10 Starbucks card for room service instead of $2 cash might go over very well and if you offered it as a choice then the recipient can choose the cash or the gift card. My girls would choose the gift card as they love Starbucks but hate their prices. :) However, if it was $10 cash or a $10 Starbucks card they would choose the Cash every time.

Nice of you to tip and to ask how best to do it. Well done!:)

[quote name='Karysa']I am a cash tipper but I will dive into the deep end here. If you are tipping on top of the service charge then that's a little different to me. For instance a $10 Starbucks card for room service instead of $2 cash might go over very well and if you offered it as a choice then the recipient can choose the cash or the gift card. My girls would choose the gift card as they love Starbucks but hate their prices. :) However, if it was $10 cash or a $10 Starbucks card they would choose the Cash every time.

Nice of you to tip and to ask how best to do it. Well done!:)[/quote]

Thanks for acknowledging that this was intended to be above normal gratuities and in addition to (NOT in lieu of) "thank you for helping" tipping. I had actually intended that these would be above and beyond the tips that are normally expected. They were to be to be a daily "appreciation" gift to the room stewards who I don't often see, in addition to the daily gratuities and normal cash tipping.

I probably didn't state my intentions well, and clearly upset some people. I hate that some people thought I was trying to trick stewards out of their pay, and frankly I have been hurt by some of the comments.

I completely appreciate the views of other posters that it may not be well received, so I won't be giving the cards... but the stewards won't be getting an extra $10 cash every day either unless I'm really wowed. :(

My housekeeper got two cards this morning in addition to her pay (she has two teenagers). I hope she isn't insulted by my gift! :p

[quote name='NMLady']Some religions, such as Muslim, do not drink coffee.
No guarantee the recipient would have port time. Their online time is usually spent communicating with family.
Cash is a much better reward.[/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong in your assertion about coffee. So many misperceptions. It is not "haraam" so it is allowed . . . except during Ramadan. Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists are another story.

[quote name='asmith19']Thanks for acknowledging that this was intended to be above normal gratuities and in addition to (NOT in lieu of) "thank you for helping" tipping. I had actually intended that these would be above and beyond the tips that are normally expected. They were to be to be a daily "appreciation" gift to the room stewards who I don't often see, in addition to the daily gratuities and normal cash tipping.

I probably didn't state my intentions well, and clearly upset some people. I hate that some people thought I was trying to trick stewards out of their pay, and frankly I have been hurt by some of the comments.

I completely appreciate the views of other posters that it may not be well received, so I won't be giving the cards... but the stewards won't be getting an extra $10 cash every day either unless I'm really wowed. :(

My housekeeper got two cards this morning in addition to her pay (she has two teenagers). I hope she isn't insulted by my gift! :p[/quote]

Tipping is one of those subjects that evoke powerful responses. I myself was all over a person earlier today who claims to take off his autotips but tip more than everyone else anyway. That is just not believeable as there is too much work and hassle involved to think that someone would actually do all that and not save some money for themselves at the same time. Leaving the autotip or service charge in place is really all that is expected and if the staff get a little more than that from time to time I bet they are happy.

Comment cards are also underused and under valued by many cruisers but staff have told me that they are very important to them as they get better shifts, stations, and sometimes better break times when they get excellent comments written about them, so keep that in mind if you want to support crew members that provide you with exceptional service.

[quote name='Karysa']Tipping is one of those subjects that evoke powerful responses. I myself was all over a person earlier today who claims to take off his autotips but tip more than everyone else anyway. That is just not believeable as there is too much work and hassle involved to think that someone would actually do all that and not save some money for themselves at the same time. Leaving the autotip or service charge in place is really all that is expected and if the staff get a little more than that from time to time I bet they are happy.

Comment cards are also underused and under valued by many cruisers but staff have told me that they are very important to them as they get better shifts, stations, and sometimes better break times when they get excellent comments written about them, so keep that in mind if you want to support crew members that provide you with exceptional service.[/QUOTE]

Great point about comment cards!

asmith19 ~ I think it's very considerate that you want to give a little "extra" something to the crew. Your heart is definitely in the right place!

I'd like to remind all members that when you see others posting anything "unkind" that we have an alert system - the little red triangle at the top of every post - so you can send the moderators a quick note. We try very hard to keep our boards a "friendly" place and often need your help to alert us to posts that violate our guidelines. Please don't hesitate to use the alert system.

Happy Cruising to all.

[quote name='CPT Trips']I think you are wrong in your assertion about coffee. So many misperceptions. It is not "haraam" so it is allowed . . . except during Ramadan. Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists are another story.[/QUOTE]

I did not say it was not allowed. I said some do not drink it