Solo Cruisers!! How do you get to the cruise port from the airport? Taxi, private shu

IslandGrl411

As a solo do you hop in s taxi and head over or reserve your shuttle through the cruise line?

99% of the time I take a cab. I would leave the 1% open for "other".

As a solo do you hop in s taxi and head over or reserve your shuttle through the cruise line?

Almost always fly into the port city the day before (there is SO much that can go wrong with flights!). So I look for a hotel with a free port shuttle the next morning. If that's not available/desirable, then a cab will do.

So far, through three cruises and one upcoming, I've taken the cruise line's shuttle. It's a bit cheaper and I get to check out my fellow passengers. I don't mind that it takes longer.

I would be comfortable taking a taxi or private shuttle if I thought they made sense, and perhaps I will do either or both one of these days.

All my past cruises from Miami or Fort Lauderdale were done by taxi or shuttle bus.

This next cruise I will be in Miami a week early for other matters so I plan to check out the Tri-Rail and local bus service to see if I can save money.

My last taxi fare from the condo to the Miami port was $87 before tipping and the return trip was $90, using Tri-Rail and bussing I hope to spend less than $40 each way.

I will report back what it really costed later.

I fly in the morning of my cruise and usually take the cruise line shuttle bus. Never had an issue in almost 30 cruises. The Bus is generally cheaper than a cab for a solo. Plus, if I fly into Miami and cruise Carnival, I do cabin check in at the airport. When I get to the pier I can go straight to my cabin or wait a bit in the VIFP lounge.

My last cruise in late January on NCL, I was the only passenger on a 52 person capacity bus! Talk about being in a stretch limo!

Sometimes when returning to the airport after a cruise with a mid or late morning flight, I'll cab it to the airport and usually arrive and get through security to be at my gate by 9AM.

Edited by evandbob

I've done everything, depending on the port. I've taken public transportation (both alone and with others) in London/Southampton and Seville, taken a hotel shuttle bus in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car once and dropped it off right near the port in Ft. Lauderdale then taken the rental car shuttle to the port, shared a hired van (with people from my Cruise Critic roll call) in London/Southampton, taken the train and then walked in Copenhagen, taken the cruise line bus in Venice and Barcelona and Miami, taken lots of taxis in lots of port cities...

It all depends on whether I'm going straight from the airport to the port or staying a day or more in between, what the public transportation system is like where I'm going, etc. Then I figure out what is the most economical option for me that will also not be horribly inconvenient or dangerous or undependable, etc. Of course once in a while I've guessed wrong and wish I'd chosen another option but it's usually worked out quite well. :)

Don't hesitate to explore other options besides a cruise line bus or a taxi!

I usually use the hotel shuttle included in the nightly room cost. It's convenient, and inexpensive. It served me well in Port Canaveral, where my hotel was 90 minutes away from the airport. Plus, the group environment of a shuttle gives solos a good opportunity for meeting people. I've seen some lively conversations started by one person asking "so which ship is everyone going on?"

I've considered taking city buses or trains to save money, since I'm good with directions. But public transit isn't exactly a strong point for most Florida cities, and I'm not certain about its schedule or safety. So I stick with shuttles.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I also fly in the day before. I've done both the shuttle service and the taxi. I prefer the taxi method mainly because I can leave for the port earlier. The hotel shuttles seem to leave much later than I'm comfortable with. (I like to get there as early as possible:p)

• 1 month later...
I always use ship shuttle, its definitely cheaper then taxi.

Wouldn't that depend on what port you are sailing from? And which

airport you are flying out of as well?

It is cheaper to grab a cab out of Port Everglades if you are flying

out of FLL airport.......I wouldn't ever use the ship's transportation

for that ride......it is 10 minutes by cab and you can leave whenever

you want. If you are using the ship's transportation you need to wait

for the bus to fill up as well.

When sailing from Florida, I always fly in a day or more in advance. Sometimes I stay a day or two following the cruise.

Flying home same day as end of cruise, I take cruise line transfer (shuttle bus) to the airport.

For Port Canaveral, I book the Orlando hotel pre-cruise through the cruise line as it includes the transfers from the hotel to the pier, and pay extra for the return transfer to the airport. If staying in Orlando post-cruise, I've taken the transfer bus to the airport, then a Mears shared ride van from the airport to the hotel.

Unless the transfer from the airport to hotel is included, I'll use a shared (sometimes private) ride service like Mears, GO Shuttle, and SuperShuttle. Same shared (or private) ride service from the hotel to pier for Port of Miami, Port Everglades, and Port of Tampa with one exception. I've taken taxis from South Beach Hotels to the Port of Miami.

I always use ship shuttle, its definitely cheaper then taxi.

I think you will find that it varies quite bit by port. Some times the ships shuttle is cheaper and other times the taxi is cheaper. For example, if I fly into LGA for a NYC departure, the ship shuttle is usually cheaper for me than a taxi. But if I am flying out of FLL the taxi fare my last trip was only $15 which was cheaper than the ship's transfer, and much quicker, with to the door service.

Western ports are also sometimes more expensive for taxis than the ship shuttles and other times less expensive, depending on the ports. For example LAX is cheaper with ship shuttles and San Diego is cheaper with taxis.

I don't know much about the southern ports but I would think they will vary as well, I haven't sailed out of any of them so I don't know for sure.

In foreign ports, I believe that a lot of the time the ship's transfers are cheaper than taxis because of the distance, that has been my experience.