Have you ever taken a cruise and lost weight

gelli8112

Have you ever taken a cruise and lost weight. The food on a cruise is wonderful. The problem is that whenever I get back, I have to spend 6 weeks exercising to get rid of that one week of food. Has anyone managed to maintain or lose weight on a cruise.

I've never lost weight, but it doesn't take me 6 weeks to lose what I did gain. It doesn't even take 6 days once I go back to eating normally. I find that I am far more active on a cruise than I am at home. Also, much of the gained weight is fluid retention from the excess salt in the food.

Never lost, but on our last cruise in March (10 night) I only gained 1.3 lbs. That's my personal best. We try to use the stairs as much as possible and walk some each day. Even if we're in a port where we're not going to do anything, we at least go ashore and walk around the port for a bit. Every step counts.

We have lost weight on a couple of our Mediteranean cruises. They are port intensive with tons of walking on tours. Burns off those calories and keeps you away from lounging around the ship and snacking all day.

The one rule we had to make in this regard was to stay the heck out of the Windjammer. Oh, sure, we all go in with the best of intentions to eat fruit and salads and good-for-you stuff; but it's never worked out that way. Never. Never ever. For me, at least.

I also have to make it a point to reserve some treadmill time-- I simply won't keep up the pace on the deck track-- and use the stairs as often as possible.

And while lunch in the MDR on sea days is a treat, we've passed on it.

I'm not saying I've come back from a cruise yet and lost weight, but I'm getting better at not finding more. OK, not finding a LOT more. Going on 4 years as a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member.

I actually lose a pound or two because of the increased activity level. At home I am a slug, on a cruise I use the stairs most of the time (not because of exercise but because I get tired of waiting for elevators), line dance and walk around a lot in ports. Oh and all the exercise of hitting the buttons on the slot machines, really builds up my arm muscles :-)

After so many cruises I find I don't eat as much in quantity as when I first started cruising. I've learned that is acceptable to customize the dining room menu, I ask for smaller portions and make up my own meals if there is nothing I want on the menu, which is often because I don't like "fancy" foods or a lot of sauces drenching mystery meat. A good standby meal for me is half a salad, a baked potato, and whatever plain veggies are available, with sherbet for dessert. In the WJ I take smaller portions, and again make my own meals, hamburger patty without the bread, some potatoes and a salad is fine for a dinner. Fortunately my favorite food, pizza, on cruise ships is not the kind I like so I have no problem skipping it.

My friends & I smile when we spot the newbies with plates piled sky high with 3 entrees & 3 desserts. We have learned to pace ourselves :-).

For some reason I never gain weight on a cruise and often lose a few pounds which I don't want to lose. I certainly don't exercise and tend to drink more alcohol. Maybe because I quit eating when I get full. :confused:

DH always gains LOTS of weight. His seems to come off fairly quickly when we get home.

LuLu

I've never lost, but it's never been my goal.

One time, many years ago, I was on Weight Watchers, and I went on the cruise (14 nights) starting out counting points.

I was journaling.....all kinds of things. I journaled what we did that day, the amazing sites in Europe, and yes....daily points.

Thank goodness it only lasted three days (the counting of points, not the journaling). A couple years later I was reading my journal. A part of me was very sad for the young woman (me) that was so concerned about 10 pounds than I actually took previous time to even consider dieting while on an amazing vacation with my husband.

I know a woman who is probably the most fit and cleanest eater I know. She said, "why in the world would you even bother trying to diet when you have the entire 50 other weeks in a year." I never dieted again on vacation....life is way to short to pass up a desert on a cruise. If we could only see what the women on the Titanic would have ordered if they knew.....

I exercise 5 days a week, just like home. We never take elevators and are pretty active. But I know the alcohol calories get me too because I rarely drink alcohol when I'm at home. We usually only eat 2 meals a day--this is actually very typical of seasoned cruisers. But I still gain.

Enjoy!

The one rule we had to make in this regard was to stay the heck out of the Windjammer. Oh, sure, we all go in with the best of intentions to eat fruit and salads and good-for-you stuff; but it's never worked out that way. Never. Never ever. For me, at least.

I also have to make it a point to reserve some treadmill time-- I simply won't keep up the pace on the deck track-- and use the stairs as often as possible.

And while lunch in the MDR on sea days is a treat, we've passed on it.

I'm not saying I've come back from a cruise yet and lost weight, but I'm getting better at not finding more. OK, not finding a LOT more. Going on 4 years as a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member.

Stay away from the Windjammer. :eek: Isn't that a violation of a cruise law. They should strip you of your Crown and Anchor points for suggesting such a thing. :)

I have or broke even. I tend to just eat salads and rolls. With occasional desserts. As the food quality has decreased I find that I eat less.

Not a cruise, but just came back from 6 weeks in Europe and lost 5 lbs. and I wasn't eating exceptionally well either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never lost, but it's never been my goal.

One time, many years ago, I was on Weight Watchers, and I went on the cruise (14 nights) starting out counting points.

I was journaling.....all kinds of things. I journaled what we did that day, the amazing sites in Europe, and yes....daily points.

Thank goodness it only lasted three days (the counting of points, not the journaling). A couple years later I was reading my journal. A part of me was very sad for the young woman (me) that was so concerned about 10 pounds than I actually took previous time to even consider dieting while on an amazing vacation with my husband.

I know a woman who is probably the most fit and cleanest eater I know. She said, "why in the world would you even bother trying to diet when you have the entire 50 other weeks in a year." I never dieted again on vacation....life is way to short to pass up a desert on a cruise. If we could only see what the women on the Titanic would have ordered if they knew.....

I exercise 5 days a week, just like home. We never take elevators and are pretty active. But I know the alcohol calories get me too because I rarely drink alcohol when I'm at home. We usually only eat 2 meals a day--this is actually very typical of seasoned cruisers. But I still gain.

Enjoy!

I like the way your friend thinks.

My wife always seems to lose weight. We gather it's because we stay pretty active most cruises, and don't tend to lounge in one place too long. No "pool" days for us really. We'll see how she fares this February, as we have gone back to a balcony cabin, hehe.

YES!!

QM2 from New York to Florida and the Caribe for 8 nights. Food was great, but I was not. The first night I got sick and tired of my tight pants, and told my girlfriend that they will fit as well as they first did when I bought them by the end of the cruise.

The next day onward, it was fast walking on deck for several laps, then some time on the treadmill, and later some time in the thallosotherapy pool at the spa. We both did it, but she didn't need it. Sure, I ate, but a little less. By end of cruise the pants were just like new!

Only when I got sick on a 3-day cruise once.:eek:

Clarea,

I enjoy reading your posts, so I'm going to give you half credit for your illness. If you were anyone else, you wouldn't receive any credit at all. ;)

I have or broke even. I tend to just eat salads and rolls. With occasional desserts. As the food quality has decreased I find that I eat less.

Not a cruise, but just came back from 6 weeks in Europe and lost 5 lbs. and I wasn't eating exceptionally well either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you. The food quality has decreased, but I still eat it. A lot of it. :o

Have you ever taken a cruise and lost weight. The food on a cruise is wonderful. The problem is that whenever I get back, I have to spend 6 weeks exercising to get rid of that one week of food. Has anyone managed to maintain or lose weight on a cruise.

I usually do, just a bit.

1. Only take the stairs. I don't have an elevator at home, so I don't use them on a ship.

2. Breakfast at buffet. Oatmeal or granola, yogurt, juice, fruit just like at home.

3. We make sure we take excursions that have a lot of walking. If it's a half day tour, we walk around the port, too.

4. We usually have lunch at the buffet. I actually do make a salad, usually adding chicken or shrimp to it. Balsamic vinegar dressing. Sometimes I'll try some soup.

5. Dinner in MDR. Salad, fish/no sauce. Instead of the sauces or whatever comes with the fish, I request only broiled vegetables on the side.

6. Berries for dessert. I'm not a dessert person - don't like pie, cake, cookies, etc. So it's easy for me to pass them up and get fresh berries.

I've been on WW for several years. And while I don't count points while I'm on vacation, I do eat like I do at home. It's the only way I can justify the martinis!!

Almost. I got home after 7 nights on the Divina with only a 1.5 pound gain, and that was down to a loss in two days. I credit that to falling in love with the "cream puff du jour". They were the treats that I looked forward to every day, and apparently it is better to eat goodies that are made of one-half air than all chocolate or cheesecake.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, however, my wife and I always seem to lose 5-7 pounds on every cruise we take between 7-10 days. Yes, we enjoy the food as much as anyone, but for some lucky reason, we have always made it a point to cruise for the cruise itself and ports, while not cruising for the food and eating 16 hours a day straight.

Yes, we are eating, but smaller portions since there are a zillion other things to do besides eating all the time that will waste more free time. I always know there is food waiting for me when we get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, however, my wife and I always seem to lose 5-7 pounds on every cruise we take between 7-10 days. Yes, we enjoy the food as much as anyone, but for some lucky reason, we have always made it a point to cruise for the cruise itself and ports, while not cruising for the food and eating 16 hours a day straight.

Yes, we are eating, but smaller portions since there are a zillion other things to do besides eating all the time that will waste more free time. I always know there is food waiting for me when we get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I forgot about the smaller portions! They are nice! If you are still hungry after dinner, there are other options!