Have you ever taken a cruise and lost weight

gelli8112

We have lost weight on a couple of our Mediteranean cruises. They are port intensive with tons of walking on tours. Burns off those calories and keeps you away from lounging around the ship and snacking all day.

Yep, me too! It is the only cruise I have lost weight on(4 pounds) and I know it was because you leave the ship by 8 every morning and don't get back on board until 6 or 7.:eek: Honestly, I needed a vacation after that cruise!!

I have lost a few pounds on some cruises but mostly stay even. One benefit of being a runner.:)

Same here, only in my case, it's because I don't give in to the temptation of bread, potatoes, or any of those other carbs that are so bad.

I am not a big fan of cruise food in general except for salads, baked white chicken, steamed veggies, eggs, oatmeal, etc. I almost never eat desserts as I just don't care for them. Same for breads. Much of the food, weather in the buffet or the main dining room, just seems oily to me and not too appealing.

I exercise much the same as I do at home, never use elevators and don't drink any alcohol now due to medication I take but never drank much, anyway. I hardly ever drink sodas and nearly always choose water.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I credit that to falling in love with the "cream puff du jour". They were the treats that I looked forward to every day, and apparently it is better to eat goodies that are made of one-half air than all chocolate or cheesecake.

LOL! I need to keep this in mind on future cruises....look for the desserts made with 50% air. That should definitely help to keep my clothes fitting throughout the cruise :)

Melissa

I have but I usually lose weight on vacation. It's because I don't have easy access to the food I want to eat. I'll skip a meal if there isn't anything that appeals to me.

The only thing I really love on RCCL is the salad bar in the MDR on sea days. It's because I can get exactly what I want without anything I don't want. Other than that I don't think there has been anything that I craved or even finished on any cruise.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

We were on a 7 day cruise last November where the two of us had lost almost 5 pounds each. This was probably due to the fact that we worked this cruise and didn't drink as much as we usually do along with a lot of walking. According to our step counters we averaged 26,000 steps a day. But it is nice not have to deal with losing the weight you usually gain after a cruise.

Edited by Karter

Yes! I've only been on 2 cruises. My first one was with my mom on a HAL. We would get up and go work out. Gym or run on the deck. We would get back to the cabin and shower and change. By the time we were done, we went down to eat and the lido buffet was closed! This happened to us a lot! We always wanted to eat when everything was closed. There was no Park Cafe type place on the ship. We were hungry a lot and also didn't drink that much.

Just got back from Rhapsody to Alaska a few days ago. Stepped on the scale this morning and only gained 2 lbs. I'm sure it's just boat bloat. We ate a TON and drank as much as we ate :rolleyes: But I also visited the gym quite a bit and never took the elevator.

Yes, we took an 11 night cruise on the Splendor of the Seas out of Galveston in Feb 2003. The food was horrible - more like inedible. No beef or chicken entrees many nights. Lots of fish, pork and shellfish, which many people do not eat. I had eggs for breakfast every day, salad for lunch and only had an appetizer and salad every night for dinner. I lost 7 pounds.

Unfortunately, it left us with a bad impression of RCI and it took 6 years until we sailed her again. Food ever since has been OK. Now that we are gluten free, we rarely eat food with sauces - just lots of meat and veggies. I have eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch and usually a salad and meat entree for dinner. I don't get dessert because I am also allergic to dairy and most of the GF desserts are things like cheesecake, creme brulee or ice cream. I can't remember the last cruise when I gained weight, but it has to be at least 7.5 years ago, since I was diagnosed and had to go GF.

Edited by DebJ14

Yes! But DH and I are vegans so no junk food we can't eat on cruises! We mainly eat sushi and salads, maybe some pasta dishes. We always take the stairs, even if it's 10 floors. The only exception is at 4AM after a lot of drinks. =) I came home from the last cruise three pounds under my normal weight.

We were on the MCS cruise for a 10 day southern... beautiful clean ship..

however food/service wasn't. End up losing 7 lbs...

Couldn't believe that Mc D's.... never taste so good..:eek:

Cathy

Yes, I would say the last 3 or 4 we have sailed we have lost weight on. We get up early (even though we are never in bed before 1am usually), walk/jog about 3 miles. Eat healthy, never eat lunch just a nice breakfast and a good dinner. We might have a small snack in the afternoon but that's about it and as well, we go light on the alcohol. It's not because we don't like it, it's because it's loaded with calories! We both drink lots of water. We have both lost weight this year (at home trying) and I certainly do not plan on putting any back on. I'm only 5'1" and when I was packing around that extra 14lbs, I was miserable. I've gone done 2 sizes just with 14lbs! I feel great and I'm mid 50's. :D (I should have added that post cruise, we are both usually down about 4lbs)

Edited by Esmerelda

I have or broke even. I tend to just eat salads and rolls. With occasional desserts. As the food quality has decreased I find that I eat less.

Not a cruise, but just came back from 6 weeks in Europe and lost 5 lbs. and I wasn't eating exceptionally well either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in Europe last year for a month and when i came back I had lost 10lbs, and i ate a lot. but there was also a lot of walking involved and portion size in europe is a lot smaller than USA. great time though.

as far as the cruise, I was on one and I didn't gain a pound. So it depends on your genes and what you do.

I have read through the entire thread, and will say two things.

1. We have lost weight on almost every Royal Caribbean cruise for the past few years.

2. We eat almost exclusively in the Windjammer.

Eat protein and fat........and you will lose weight! Also......use only the stairs, and walk at a pace for at least 30 minutes per day.

Rick

No. I always gain. Everyone I go with always eats three meals a day plus snacks. On a normal day I only eat twice with no snacking. I start feeling gross around the third day. By the seventh I can feel my clothes are starting to fit different and I start to feel more tired. Unlimited amounts of bacon, french fries, and desserts don't help.

Edited by Siora7777

I have read through the entire thread, and will say two things.

1. We have lost weight on almost every Royal Caribbean cruise for the past few years.

2. We eat almost exclusively in the Windjammer.

Eat protein and fat........and you will lose weight! Also......use only the stairs, and walk at a pace for at least 30 minutes per day.

Rick

Exactly! I know since November 2013 that I'm gluten sensitive, I avoid all grains and high carb (sugary) food. I eat a lot of protein and fat and I've never been happier since then. Last cruise was in February and I lost about 5 pounds in two weeks without going hungry. Great food, great choices and great feeling! And my running improved,too. Could do 10 lapses around Oasis without any difficulties. I stick to this way of eating, no matter what :p.

I tend to lose weight for about a month before the cruise. Then put on all I lost during the holiday.

This is usually my diary:

Day 1 embark - feeling fab, nice mild fake tan, hair in great condition, skirt fits at waist. Eat salad in Windjammer. Eat fruit for breakfast.

Days 1-3 drink moderate alcohol, eat only at meal times, maybe add a little cheese etc into my buffet meal. Add a sausage to my breakfast.

Days 4 - 6 loving the cocktails! Perhaps too much blue lagoon after dinner, so quick bite of pizza before bed.

Days 7 upwards. Fake tan replaced with weird colours of natural sun. Hair looking a bit like straw. Feeling full most of the time now. Skirts a tad uncomfortable. Try to find room for salad on plate. Still enjoying the blue lagoons, maybe also during the afternoon..... After the cake.

Disembarkation day: I have months and months to lose the weight, no problem.

Edited by Adayatatime

I tend to add a couple of pounds during the cruise but like others posted - it is gone in a few days. We do eat more often, but most dinners are in the MDR and the portions are not huge. I tried to exert more control in the WJ at breakfast and lunch, but I prefer for lunch the ships with the Solarium Café. Just having the limited choices is perfect.

DH loves to snack and having something 24/7 is a little overwhelming for him. At 6'4" and 165lbs it is not such an issue, for me though..... :(

We try to walk and take the stairs, but on our last 2 cruises DH has had a leg injury which has hampered the exercise.

I tend to drink more but eat less when cruising with DS so I guess that is a wash. :o

My DW seems to lose a few pounds every cruise. She in general does not like to eat, she does not eat anything extra. Our cruises have been in the summer (because she is a teacher), and have been very hot, especially in Europe. And we walk around a lot.