Best French Quarter restaurants

misssea

It's hard to peg what's expensive and what's not, isn't it? I live southwest of Buffalo, NY where the cost of living is low. $30 a person around here for a good meal is expensive! With that being said, I don't mind paying more money toward a meal and I understand that in a big city like New Orleans, I should expecting to pay higher prices than around here. I appreciate everyone's input!

Here's the issue. You need to spell out what dollar amount is reasonable to you.

There are three types of dining in NO, tourist places, mostly equal ok food that is overpriced and not always authentic. High end fine dining, good to great food and very expensive. And where the local eat, good authentic food at a cheap/moderate price, these are not going to be in the Quarter and might require a drive.

Here's the issue. ...where the local eat, good authentic food at a cheap/moderate price, these are not going to be in the Quarter and might require a drive.

This is the list that would interest me. Driving is not a problem.

Not interested in wine. Not interested in the myth that ridiculous prices (anything over $50pp) equal fine dining.

Your post was "Best French Quarter Restaurants" but if you want to eat where the locals eat and don't mind driving, it brings up a myriad of possibilities.

One of my favorites is Drago's but a good web site to learn about food and restaurants in New Orleans is nomenu.com.

As much as you may want to go cheap, this is one city where spending a few bucks will result in truly memorable meals.

In the French Quarter, try K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme) or NOLA (Emeril Lagasse). In the Garden District, Commander's Palace (where many of the great chefs in that city got their start) and Pascal Manale's (BBQ Shrimp) are two very different restaurants and both are excellent at what they do. And, if I could only have one meal in New Orleans, I'd head to Brigtsen's (on Dante).

Do check out Trip Advisor's recommendations. And sip a Sazerac while you're reading the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there anywhere you still can get crawfish in a paper bag with the piece of corn and maybe a potato? I haven't been to New Orleans since I lived there in 1995 and all I'm craving is spicy crawfish before I get on the cruis..e

Is there anywhere you still can get crawfish in a paper bag with the piece of corn and maybe a potato? I haven't been to New Orleans since I lived there in 1995 and all I'm craving is spicy crawfish before I get on the cruis..e

Maybe not a paper bag but try Pascal Manale's. If you spent time in NOLA, surely you've heard of it.

I have done a lot of reading and have come up with 2 that I am definately going to eat at:

"Chartres House" and "The Original Pierre Masperos". The best part of it is that they are only one block away from each other on Chartres St near Jackson Square.

Edited by JIMDSB2

They asked about reasonable French Quarter restaurants.

There are lots of them. Bad restaurants do not last in that area. There are no TGIMcChilbee's Garden restaurants around there.

IHOP at Canal and Bourbon will probably be getting some of my money, especially for breakfast. DW and i don't do wine and are not much into seafood....

Edited by Raxter54

IHOP at Canal and Bourbon will probably be getting some of my money, especially for breakfast. DW and i don't do wine and are not much into seafood....

You can eat at IHOP anytime you want

When in NOLA try something else

the Ruby Slipper is worth paying, a little extra, for breakfast

http://www.therubyslippercafe.net/wordpress/home/

Edited by jonbgd

Crawfish can depend on the season and your pocketbook.

In February i was at the oyster bar in Crescent City Brewpub and the subject came up. The guy shucking oysters said 'out of season'.

The lady next to me mentioned a place that had'em---about 18$ / pound :eek::eek:

Obviously, that isn't 'reasonable'.

There is a place called Stanley on the corner at Jackson Square.

Good breakfast and you're not locked in to seafood, although I am a fan of the Eggs Benedict with oysters............

There are several Cafe Beignets that can set you up with breakfast.

It is frankly surprising that the IHOP survives for breakfast, let alone other meals.

Edited by luddite

It is frankly surprising that the IHOP survives for breakfast, let alone other meals.

Half a block up Bourbon Street is a Krystals, and 1 block down Canal is a McDonalds. Obviously not everyone one can afford $60-$70 per person meals...

If you want reasonable prices but still want the experience of going to Commanders Palace or K-Paul's try going at lunch time. The prices won't give you as much sticker shock but you will still get to experience the food.

• 3 weeks later...
You can eat at IHOP anytime you want

When in NOLA try something else

the Ruby Slipper is worth paying, a little extra, for breakfast

http://www.therubyslippercafe.net/wordpress/home/

My sentiments too. When I will be there I definitely want to try some local places. Emeril's restaurants are on my list, just which one is my dilemma :)

With all that said.....this will possibly be my only time I get to visit New Orleans so I want to experience all that I can in 3 short days. That includes inexpensive, moderate & expensive (at least one) meals.

Edited by Jiminy1955

My sentiments too. When I will be there I definitely want to try some local places. Emeril's restaurants are on my list, just which one is my dilemma :)

With all that said.....this will possibly be my only time I get to visit New Orleans so I want to experience all that I can in 3 short days. That includes inexpensive, moderate & expensive (at least one) meals.

We like Emeril's "NOLA"