Tour Kobe or Osaka?

MVPinBoynton

We will be in Kobe for two days. One day we will be going to Kyoto. On the next day should we focus on just Kobe, Osaka or try to do both Kobe and Osaka in one day? Which city would have the most "must sees"?

Neither are filled with tourists sights. Another day in Kyoto might be a better option.

You could consider a visit to Himeji Castle which is widely regarded as the most spectacular castle in Japan. Parts of the main keep are currently under restoration (until March 2015 with wraps coming off August 2014) but it's still possible to explore many other buildings on-site. The castle complex is huge with many interesting structures as well as gorgeous grounds. You can also arrange for an insider look at the fascinating restoration process and go behind the tarps to witness the work in process. Reservations are required in advance and all entrances are timed.

Next door to Himeji Castle are the exquisite Kokoen Gardens which are also well worth a visit. There is a lovely restaurant inside the gardens which features dishes unique to the region, served in an utterly peaceful setting. They also have a tiny gift shop that sells local artisan items.

Both Himeji Castle and Kokoen Gardens are easily reached by train from Kobe.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

Nara is a good option. Because it was Japan's first permanent capital (710-784) it is full of historical treasures. It's well worth seeing.

However I'm adding my voice to 2 days in Kyoto. There is so much to see. We hope to take the Volendam 2015 Kobe-Vancouver repo. We won't stay in Kobe, We will spend some time in Kyoto again, then take the train down and spend the night before the cruise in Kobe.

There are plenty of good guides available for Kyoto. Email me at shrimp56 at hotmail.com and I'll be happy to talk you through the options we know of.

• 5 months later...

MightyQuinn,

where did you get your tickets for Himeji castle?

We are in Kobe for two days with the Millennium in October and would like to go to Himeji Castle.

The website is nit very good, so what would happen if we go there without a prepaid ticket?

Also another question, where did you buy your train tickets? We plan to go to Kyoto on our first day and to Himeji on the second.äI found out that the Shinkansen goes to both stations from Shinkobe Station, is it easy to go there from the cruise port?

Thanks for your help...

Christina

If you want to see old Japan, there are really just two cities to visit, Kyoto and Nara as almost everything else was destroyed in WWII. I would recommend two days in Kyoto as there is too much to see in 1 or even 2 days. If you tour Osaka, just remember there isn't much to see in terms tourist attractions unless you consider Giant Ferris Wheels or Aquariums as attractions. We had just stayed 3 nights in Osaka, where we tour Kyoto for two days, Nara for 1/2 day, and Osaka for 1/2 day after our cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Last year, we visit Kyoto for a day when the Diamond Princess was in Osaka for a day.

We have been to Kobe, Osaka, and Kyoto. My vote is for two days in Kyoto. We arranged for a Goodwill guide for all three locations. We stayed pre-cruise in Kyoto a few years ago spending three nights there. There is so much to see and do, I have no doubt that you will want to tour there for at least two days.

As there is so much to soak in, we are getting off the ship and overnighting in Kyoto.

However, my sister LOVED Nara, for its beauty and calmness. Kyoto can be a bit frenetic, being such a major tourist destination.

She said that Nara more captured the essence of old Japan. Her 2 cents.

We plan to go to Kyoto on our first day and to Himeji on the second.äI found out that the Shinkansen goes to both stations from Shinkobe Station, is it easy to go there from the cruise port?

Yes, it's very easy. A quick taxi ride or depending on where you dock, there is a monorail that goes along the cruise terminal from the airport to Sannomiya (the city center) and then one subway stop from Sannomiya to Shinkobe.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/Kobe,+Hyogo+Prefecture/@34.6824434,135.1887259,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x60007d812aed89d9:0xc7126106c2f670f4

Edited by stowaway2k

We have reserved a private guide/car in Feb. 2015 where we will have one day from the AZ Quest (Osaka) and 2 days from a hotel in Kyoto. His suggestion for us is first day (longer commute from port) Nara and Osaka then 2nd day East Kyoto and 3rd day west Kyoto. He is worried we will only see the "highlights" of Kyoto in 2 days as there is too much to see. Just a suggestion as to what a local guide recommends.