Buy Car Parts In Japan

kathekas

Hi

I would like to buy a spare part for our imported Japanese car whilst we are in Japan.

I have asked Fred Olsen if I can have it sent to the ships agents in Osaka, Japan, there response is

"I have checked with our Port Operations department and unfortunately we would be in breach of UK customs and excise regulations and Japanese Export licences if we did this."

My question is, if I have the part delivered from the local to the UPS service center in Osaka, I then collect it it from there and then take it on-board the ship myself. Would this be acceptable?

Thanks for reading. Happy New Year.

What are you buying? How big is it and what is the cost? Whatever it is, if it's small enough, just go to a dealership while you're there (probably with an interpreter) buy it, take it with you and just take it home in your luggage and list it on your declarations form when you clear customs when you go home. If it's a much bigger item , you probably could still buy it whist there and have it delivered to the ship and stored somewhere (we have know of folks buying large items, furniture and such while on exotic/world cruises), but you'd probably have to leave the cruie line out of the loop as far as pre-ordering and having it delivered to the ship. Although if it's s something that is that large and/or expensive, it might not be worth the effort and expense of delivery/duty, etc. Not to mention that if I were visiting a port in Japan, I think I would rather see other sites than the parts department of a car dealership.

Hi

I would like to buy a spare part for our imported Japanese car whilst we are in Japan.

I have asked Fred Olsen if I can have it sent to the ships agents in Osaka, Japan, there response is

"I have checked with our Port Operations department and unfortunately we would be in breach of UK customs and excise regulations and Japanese Export licences if we did this."

My question is, if I have the part delivered from the local to the UPS service center in Osaka, I then collect it it from there and then take it on-board the ship myself. Would this be acceptable?

Seems like a lot of complications for a car part you should be able to obtain in the United States. Enjoy Japan and why waste valuable vacation time chasing down a car part?

Seems like a lot of complications for a car part you should be able to obtain in the United States. Enjoy Japan and why waste valuable vacation time chasing down a car part?

Seeing OP mentions sailing Fred Olsen and does not have a reference to where they live, I would guess they may not be from or returning to U.S. Perhaps the part they need is hard to obtain and maybe they think it would cost a lot less if purchased in Japan?

I'll be interested to see more info from OP.

To the OP, your idea of having the part delivered to a local UPS store and then picked up and taken on board the ship is no different then going into a local store, buying something and then taking it on board.

Unless the item is too large or perhaps of a prohibited nature you should be able to do this without any problem.

It's entirely up to Fred Olsen what they allow you to bring on their ship. But even if they were willing, the only people who can give you a definitive answer as to any legal implications about importing this part into the UK are HM Customs & Excise. Where obscure legal matters are concerned, it's most unwise to rely on answers on a forum, particularly on such an abstruse subject.

Don’t forget, car models are built differently, for different countries, like fuel & pollution control, for example. :confused:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.

30th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, 10 Day, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Hi

You have to come back and tell us what part it is and why you you can't or do not want to buy it at home. Do not keep us in suspense.

DON

Thanks.

Our car is only sold new in 3 countries. The part is air con compressor about the size of small loaf of bread.

Having delivered to a UPS office and collecting it from there will not detract from our 2 days in Osaka, we have been there previously.

The part has been ordered online using the chassis number. We have used the agent previously and had the item couriered. The part in Japan is a third of the cost to buy where we live. The Japanese are very efficient. Sent the chassis number and immediately the full details of the vehicle were sent back to me, and I can confirm these are correct.

"your idea of having the part delivered to a local UPS store and then picked up and taken on board the ship is no different then going into a local store, buying something and then taking it on board." This is my view also.

Latest coment from Fred Olsen.

"‘A lot of the time when in overseas ports the local authorities come on board for any goods that have been purchased, we are therefore advising that this gentleman does not purchase this item. My understanding is he would be breaching UK import laws. Of course souvenirs and gifts are different to car parts. If this gentleman decides to buy this himself he would have to declare this to HMRC upon arrival and would be charged the relevant import duty levied on this’."

I am not trying to evade duty, I am happy to pay. It will still be so much cheaper.

We board the ship Sunday so I will get the viewpoint of the ship before ordering online. Public holiday all this week in Japan anyway.

I have seen people buy 42 inch tv's while in port and take them back to UK.

Thanks for reading

Happy Yes.

Even with duty the price will still be one third of the price where we live.

The supplier offer a reconditioned unit, but if I am going to this trouble I want a new one. Plus a new one with not have oil etc in it therefore safer.

If I bring unit from Japan by courier to where we live, import duty will be around 80% plus vat. To bring it via the UK and pay UK duty, then once within the EU no more duty to pay.

Avoiding paying UK HMRC has been my intention.

Latest coment from Fred Olsen.

"‘A lot of the time when in overseas ports the local authorities come on board for any goods that have been purchased,

Really!!! Well I would see that to be the case if you bought drugs somewhere, but shopping for a car part, nahhh I doubt it.

we are therefore advising that this gentleman does not purchase this item. My understanding is he would be breaching UK import laws.

How do they know you do not qualify for some exemption or duty-free allowance upon your return to the UK, or that you won't pay the required duties to the UK authorities. Considering that most cruise lines can't even get the "intricate" details right for every visa scenario for every country that ships dock at, I really doubt that they know the Customs/Import Duties Rules handbook from cover to cover for every country. :rolleyes:

Of course souvenirs and gifts are different to car parts. If this gentleman decides to buy this himself he would have to declare this to HMRC upon arrival and would be charged the relevant import duty levied on this’."

OK, get your wife to buy it for you as a gift or a souvenir of your time in Japan, LOL.

I am not trying to evade duty, I am happy to pay. It will still be so much cheaper.

Thanks for reading

My thoughts inline above.

Not to mention that if I were visiting a port in Japan, I think I would rather see other sites than the parts department of a car dealership.

actually they are pretty fun! in a kooky only-in-Japan kinda way. I mean this is a country that dispenses EVERYTHING by vending machine. and off the wall characters as advertisement.

actually they are pretty fun! in a kooky only-in-Japan kinda way. I mean this is a country that dispenses EVERYTHING by vending machine. and off the wall characters as advertisement.

I know this is totally OT, but a friend of mine just got back from a couple weeks in Japan & the pictures of everything were so neat. So many things have the anime-ish style. So I could see the trip to the car dealer being cool

sounds like the folks are happy to be able to get a part that they need much cheaper in Japan and have no problem with the import tax if they have to pay it. so why is everyone recommending ways to maybe screw the gov out of a few euro of tax or maybe cause him to loose the part he went 1/2 around the world to get?

I didn't read the whole thread but what part is it and how much does it cost?

LOL - Oldest son arrived in Japan in October for a 2-year stint as a Navy officer. He thinks that between the vending machine coffee and the heated toilet seats, Japan does winter right. One of his favorite places to eat is a curry place run by a guy trying to learn English by watching old US Westerns. I could certainly see him looking for car parts there.:)

Many people organize "group buys" and trips to Japan with the sole purpose of going car part hunting. Over the past 30 years or so Japan tended to keep the highest powered versions, or unique versions of cars at the homeland and many other countries received the "regular" versions. So whether it it is a unique instrument cluster, special upholstery, or hi-power engine parts, there are a lot of people that will go to great lengths to make trips to Japan for these parts. Junk yards in Japan are filled mostly with very clean low mileage vehicles as the government subsidizes families replacing their cars often (to support industry).

So I certainly understand the "pilgrimage" aspect of it. If auto enthusiasts were able to easily and cheaply order these parts from local dealers they would be all too happy to do so. Good luck OP! I am curious what you are looking for.

This sort of thing is very common in the car enthusiast world! Hubby and I are members of the Ottawa Jaguar Club, so spend a fair amount in car parts every year for the kitties.

Many of the members buy parts in their travels. Some tiny and one friend bought a whole engine. Sometimes customs will charge duty on the parts, sometimes they don't if they take pity on the poor bugger who needs a vital part ;)

When we get parts from overseas or the states, it is because we cannot source the part here or the Jag dealer wants a fortune for it. So I fully understand your quest kathekas!

Have fun in Japan!

Our family makes circus equipment -- all the aerial equipment. On our last cruise, we made deliveries in Barcelona, Rome and London. They saved substantial shipping costs, and we got paid in cash/euros, so no currency conversion fees.

I recall that the stipulation was that anything we delivered couldn't be resold... it had to be for their personal use.