Choice of spirits on SS ships

lenclan

Hi everybody-

I had a question about the choice of spirits included with no charge on Silver Spirit Med cruise. Crusing Athens - Venice in September 2014 on Spirit.

I know they have decent house wine included.

How about vodka? Scotch? champagne?

Do they offer Grey Goose or Kettle one? Which Scotch can my husband expect to have included? Are there more expensive ones available for an extra charge?

Like 18 yo Scotch? Maccalan? Glenlivet? We have OBC to spend...

Can we take some on board with us or is it against their policy?

Please advise!

Thanks a lot!

Lenclan - Welcome to SilverSea. I take it from your question you've not previously cruised SilverSea. We're pretty close to rookies ourselves, having only been aboard Silver Cloud once, but will be just ahead of you on Spirit this July.

As to your questions about beverages, I can tell you that I had the same questions a year ago. I selected the Macallan Select Oak single malt and Maker's Mark. Of course, they were in our suite when we arrived. I believe that The Glenlivet was also an option, but can't swear to that. Sorry, but I can't help with the Vodka or other spirits.

Also, I don't believe that bringing your own beverages aboard is any problem.

I'm sure other, more experienced patrons will be able to better reply to your questions, but at least, this is a start.

I'm very envious of your itinerary, since our Spirit cruise in July has already been seriously altered due to the crisis in the Crimea. We still have Odessa in Ukraine on the itinerary, but that could be scratched any day.

Have a great trip!

Larry

Lenclan, The vodkas you listed are available on Spirit and others that some consider better, which i do not. Not sure about scotch, but J Black is on board and you might find blue for a premium. Several single malts are also usually available. Have your travel agent request what you want. Also just put your butler to work when you get on the ship. I really like Spirit having just departed her in April. Have a wonderful cruise!

Just off the Wind. Wait, that didnt sound right did it, Too many beans maybe, but i digress............

I only tried Scotch in non blended drinks. Glenfiddich 12 and I believe a Glenmorangie. MacAllan was available for a fee. Dont recall price. They have wha t is called a connissuers list that has some really premium stuff, mostly at really premium prices. You wont be disappointed though. They also have some really wonderful cocktails.

Lenclan, I wouldn't waste your time bringing aboard spirits, unless it is really something obscure that you must absolutely have during your voyage.

As others have noted, all of the brands you have listed are readily available and inclusive of your fare. Last summer, the Cloud had 18-year Glenlivet inclusive, while the 21-year was available with a modest upcharge. They even had the super expensive Nàdurra for a bit more.

As far as Champagne, for the last couple of years the complimentary pours have been Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut. However, you can find just about all of the key champagne producers (Krug, Bollinger, Henriot, Moët & Chandon, Perrier-Jouët, etc.) on board in the connoisseur wine list and at a reasonable upcharge.

For my money's worth, the best values can be found in the Italian wines. I've found most are priced at wholesalers pay for the wine in the U.S. There are some terrific values to be found if you do your homework.

Salud!

Thank you all. It sounds great!

Shall I request my TA to inform SS about our preferences or wait till we get on board?

Which nice full bodied reds d they have? Italian sounds good- we like good Amarone

There is a nice Amarone that goes well with the steak tartare. Enjoy. It is your choice. You can have your TA contact Guest Services with your requests or just write them down, give the list to your butler upon boarding and things will appear that evening. Enjoy your cruise! Welcome aboard.

I cannot find on "my Silversea" where you can pre order drinks for your suite? I know you can ask the butler on arrival but, from past experience it is so slow or never happens? Makes us sound like real hard drinkers, which of course we are! :D

Lenclan, I wouldn't waste your time bringing aboard spirits, unless it is really something obscure that you must absolutely have during your voyage.

As others have noted, all of the brands you have listed are readily available and inclusive of your fare. Last summer, the Cloud had 18-year Glenlivet inclusive, while the 21-year was available with a modest upcharge. They even had the super expensive Nàdurra for a bit more.

As far as Champagne, for the last couple of years the complimentary pours have been Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut. However, you can find just about all of the key champagne producers (Krug, Bollinger, Henriot, Moët & Chandon, Perrier-Jouët, etc.) on board in the connoisseur wine list and at a reasonable upcharge.

For my money's worth, the best values can be found in the Italian wines. I've found most are priced at wholesalers pay for the wine in the U.S. There are some terrific values to be found if you do your homework.

Salud!

Seemed to us that if you ordered champagne without being specific, you got prosecco about half the time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi everybody-

I had a question about the choice of spirits included with no charge on Silver Spirit Med cruise. Crusing Athens - Venice in September 2014 on Spirit.

I know they have decent house wine included.

How about vodka? Scotch? champagne?

Do they offer Grey Goose or Kettle one? Which Scotch can my husband expect to have included? Are there more expensive ones available for an extra charge?

Like 18 yo Scotch? Maccalan? Glenlivet? We have OBC to spend...

Can we take some on board with us or is it against their policy?

Please advise!

Thanks a lot!

As having what you want for your cruise is clearly important to you, increase the odds of not being disappointed by using the published pre-order routes including TA, and then recheck once on board.

Some extra pointers.

1. When ordering on board, if you are ordering champagne just repeat when ordering ( with a smile ;) ) " Champagne please .... not Prosecco :) .

2. When ordering brands for your suite, when they arrive, just check that all bottles delivered are sealed. You will get the drift. ;)

3. Can't emphasise too much how rewarding it can be if early in your cruise you get a chance to chat with the sommelier in a quiet moment. Seek them out if you can before service. Sometimes they have some oddities ie bin ends or if they have been able to source independently (rarer now) and if you chat and tell them what you like sometimes they will tell you of stuff that isn't listed because there isn't much. They sometimes have stuff in nooks and crannies .... They will also mark you out as interested and if you are lucky they may pop by and say "I've found something you may like to try". The sommelier can often do more for your trip than the MD (particularly you by the sound of it) but people often overlook making friends with them and sometimes treat them like they are invisible. which I think is a missed opportunity. Make friends early.

Athens to Venice is a great cruise ... hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

Totally agree that you should request ahead. Your mazel and you'll get on the ship and they won't have it. Might not be easy for them to run to Joe's Discount House of Liquor and Hooch to obtain it for you. I'd also recommend following up once on board as well.

As having what you want for your cruise is clearly important to you, increase the odds of not being disappointed by using the published pre-order routes including TA, and then recheck once on board.

Some extra pointers.

1. When ordering on board, if you are ordering champagne just repeat when ordering ( with a smile ;) ) " Champagne please .... not Prosecco :) .

2. When ordering brands for your suite, when they arrive, just check that all bottles delivered are sealed. You will get the drift. ;)

3. Can't emphasise too much how rewarding it can be if early in your cruise you get a chance to chat with the sommelier in a quiet moment. Seek them out if you can before service. Sometimes they have some oddities ie bin ends or if they have been able to source independently (rarer now) and if you chat and tell them what you like sometimes they will tell you of stuff that isn't listed because there isn't much. They sometimes have stuff in nooks and crannies .... They will also mark you out as interested and if you are lucky they may pop by and say "I've found something you may like to try". The sommelier can often do more for your trip than the MD (particularly you by the sound of it) but people often overlook making friends with them and sometimes treat them like they are invisible. which I think is a missed opportunity. Make friends early.

Athens to Venice is a great cruise ... hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

I can confirm absolutely that Glenlivet is available,I had a bottle in my suite along with Heidseck fizz for my other half,there are plenty of half decent wines available but you may have to ask for what you want.

Johnnycruise

Just returned from the Wind, requested champagne one afternoon and got a bottle of Pommery.

Also had Jack and Frangelico as our 'requested' bottles - had two nights to go and the bottle of Jack was nearly empty, got back after dinner and a new bottle was waiting along with the near empty bottle. Was very impressed!

Karin

Echo derbylane's Kudo Jeff--very good sommelier advice, thanks 4 sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Just by being friendly with ours, and showing particular interest in reds, we had some special ones brought over to us.

Yes. Just by being friendly with ours, and showing particular interest in reds, we had some special ones brought over to us.

Great!

The most important thing you can almost ever do to improve your travels is to find an excuse to say "thank you". People seem to learn to complain but it is a rarer skill to offer sincere thanks for people's efforts whenever possible.

I always use to find an early reason to thank the sommelier for the help in choosing wines .... but much more importantly - when I had the chance if I bumped in to someone more senior in her line, the Hotel or Beverages manager perhaps - I always said .... "Can I compliment XXX through you for really looking after us. Her knowledge of her wines is first class and she is really making a difference to our meals". When that get's back to the sommelier guess who becomes the most important person on the ship and gets all of the attention?! ;)

I rarely hear of people talking about complimenting and saying thanks, and it improves everyone's lives.

I cannot find on "my Silversea" where you can pre order drinks for your suite? I know you can ask the butler on arrival but, from past experience it is so slow or never happens? Makes us sound like real hard drinkers, which of course we are! :D

Unless you are looking for something unusual, you really should have no trouble ordering your bottles upon arrival. If you do not happen to see your butler shortly after boarding, feel free to leave a nice note with your requests. In the meantime, enjoy the one of the bars! :)

D

Great!

The most important thing you can almost ever do to improve your travels is to find an excuse to say "thank you". People seem to learn to complain but it is a rarer skill to offer sincere thanks for people's efforts whenever possible.

I always use to find an early reason to thank the sommelier for the help in choosing wines .... but much more importantly - when I had the chance if I bumped in to someone more senior in her line, the Hotel or Beverages manager perhaps - I always said .... "Can I compliment XXX through you for really looking after us. Her knowledge of her wines is first class and she is really making a difference to our meals". When that get's back to the sommelier guess who becomes the most important person on the ship and gets all of the attention?! ;)

I rarely hear of people talking about complimenting and saying thanks, and it improves everyone's lives.

Great advice Jeff. As one of the total friggin idiots, I'm sure others will join with me in expressing thanks for the lessons you teach us everyday.

Great advice Jeff. As one of the total friggin idiots, I'm sure others will join with me in expressing thanks for the lessons you teach us everyday.

Thanks muchly.

I promise you I only learn by bleedin' accident. It is embarrassing what you learn by accident. If I knew these things I would have enjoyed life more much earlier.

For example. I have always realised that saying thank you to people is good, but telling people's managers in a personal note is much better. So when I traveled and when someone - and in particular those junior people who can be invisible - does something to make me or 'er indoors smile, I note their name and when I get home I always send an email to the hotel director or GM and ask him/her by name to thank each and every one of those people that made our stay special. It is also a touch worst than that. I send Christmas cards to every single one of them. The more junior they are, the more likely they are to receive a Christmas card from our village of a snow scene.

A few months ago, we were at our regular January extended stay to Singapore. Within a few minutes of every visit to the Lounge a member of staff would come up to us with our card and give us a kiss on the cheek and a cuddle and say how much they loved the card. They keep them on the wall in the behind area. The best was a cleaner with "learning difficulties" who treasures the words and card. It was really important to him, and bought a little tear to our war weary eyes.

Of course we are treated better as a result. These places become our home away from home, and these people befriend us. It isn't the managers who make your stay, it is these people. So we treat them as friends. And they return that friendship.

Some years ago, we arrived at a hotel, at a particularly busy time ... imagine Palm D'Or night in Cannes in the Carlton booked at 24 hours notice ....full of celebrities and there was us. Everyone pretty much was recognisable in the foyer bun fight and us ...the very least important. A space was cut through everyone and a big fuss was made of us. We were whisked up to one of the best suites and our wishes for restaurant reservations taken and actioned. Champagne was opened. I was utterly perplexed. I plucked up courage and asked how we had been offered a top suite at such difficult times and was told by our contact manager " exceptional customers receive exceptional treatment".

One learns. I hope no one else learns from this because it is my secret. :)

Thanks again for your post.