Trying to figure out the "transfer" thing...

MaiTaiMary

We've never taken an airplane to a cruise before, so this will be new to us. We are flying in the night before to Galveston. We will be spending the night at a hotel close to the airport. Then the next morning, will return to the airport to take the Carnival Transfers to the cruise terminal.

some questions...

What time do we get to the airport?

Where do we meet the transfer people?

Will FTTF help us out at all if we do transfers? (both getting there and returning back to the airport)

Thanks.

We've never taken an airplane to a cruise before, so this will be new to us. We are flying in the night before to Galveston. We will be spending the night at a hotel close to the airport. Then the next morning, will return to the airport to take the Carnival Transfers to the cruise terminal.

some questions...

Will FTTF help us out at all if we do transfers? (both getting there and returning back to the airport)

Thanks.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-transfers/galveston.aspx

1) 10 AM start

2) Usually near the luggage carousels

3) No. I am platinum and just get on the next available bus.

Enjoy!

some questions...

Thanks.

Where you staying pre-cruise? What port are you leaving from? Does your pre-cruise hotel offer FREE shuttle service back to the airport?

Most people normally leave from their pre-cruise hotel and take a cab or take advantage of the shuttle service if offered at the hotel (sometimes free or at a cost).

IMHO it seems like an inconvenience to go back to a busy airport just to get the shuttle take you from the cruise port. Carnival does have a shuttle booth or area at most airports and normally people just getting off flights on the same day of the cruise may opt to use this service.

Check with your pre-cruise hotel for a shuttle service or you can just take cab from the hotel.

Faster to the Fun does apply to getting to the port. FTTF will apply once your checked in at the cruise terminal.

Correct me if I'm wrong CC veteran cruisers :)

Where you staying pre-cruise? What port are you leaving from? Does your pre-cruise hotel offer FREE shuttle service back to the airport?

Most people normally leave from their pre-cruise hotel and take a cab or take advantage of the shuttle service if offered at the hotel (sometimes free or at a cost).

IMHO it seems like an inconvenience to go back to a busy airport just to get the shuttle take you from the cruise port. Carnival does have a shuttle booth or area at most airports and normally people just getting off flights on the same day of the cruise may opt to use this service.

Check with your pre-cruise hotel for a shuttle service or you can just take cab from the hotel.

We haven't booked the hotel yet. This is what was suggested to us in other threads, so I though it would be easiest. :confused: We are going out of Galveston. I was told it could be up to an hour from the airport area to the cruise terminal. Just sounded like a lot of $$ for a cab!

Since the previous OP answered most of your questions I will address FTTF. If you are still able to get it, that is. Your room will be ready when you board the ship. not to mention you will board right after Diamond and Platinum members. Your luggage will be delivered soon after boarding. In addition, you will have priority for tender ports and Guest Services. If you have an early flight when you are leaving it may be beneficial as well. I have gotten FTTF in the past and have been pleased with the services provided. Others will say it is not worth the additional $59.95.

Since the previous OP answered most of your questions I will address FTTF. If you are still able to get it, that is. Your room will be ready when you board the ship. not to mention you will board right after Diamond and Platinum members. Your luggage will be delivered soon after boarding. In addition, you will have priority for tender ports and Guest Services. If you have an early flight when you are leaving it may be beneficial as well. I have gotten FTTF in the past and have been pleased with the services provided. Others will say it is not worth the additional $59.95.

yes, we had FTTF on our last cruise. Just wondering how it works with the transfers.

Whatever hotel we find will have the shuttle service back to the airport. All of the ones we've been looking at are close and offer this.

A hotel shuttle service from the hotel to the Galveston cruise terminal?? How in the world do I find this?? That would be ideal. I didn't know hotels offered this.

If you have an early flight when you are leaving it may be beneficial as well.

I thought if you were flying, they let you disembark based on the time of the flight. No?

Our flight is at 1:45p, I believe. But it's on Southwest and I was hoping to get to the airport earlier and get on an earlier flight, if at all possible.

Generally the trouble with the transfers using Carnival is that you have to wait for the bus to go on its schedule instead of being able to go on your own schedule as you please! They won't just take your family they will wait for the bus to be fuller!

Galveston is a long drive from where you'd fly into Houston so that is why you'd not find a hotel near the airport in Houston that will shuttle you to the Galveston cruise port!

I don't know how much the transfer costs but I would certainly compare that to the price you'd need to pay for either renting your own car and driving to Galveston or paying for a private transfer.

Generally the trouble with the transfers using Carnival is that you have to wait for the bus to go on its schedule instead of being able to go on your own schedule as you please! They won't just take your family they will wait for the bus to be fuller!

Galveston is a long drive from where you'd fly into Houston so that is why you'd not find a hotel near the airport in Houston that will shuttle you to the Galveston cruise port!

I don't know how much the transfer costs but I would certainly compare that to the price you'd need to pay for either renting your own car and driving to Galveston or paying for a private transfer.

I'm fine with waiting, but I want to get there as soon as we (reasonably) can. I guess I just need to call Carnival because on my paperwork, it says transfers begin at 7:30am, but the link above says 10:00a. That's a big difference.

OMG, renting a car?!!? Sounds like a huge hassle, just to save a few dollars. Driving someplace we've never been before that's an hour away...dropping off the rental car... then getting transportation to the cruise terminal (???). Sounds like a huge stress to me. :eek: Then we return, getting transportation to the car rental place (how??), going through the process of renting another car and then driving back to the car rental place at the Galveston airport, checking the car back in... then getting transportation from the car rental place to the airport?? Do people really go to all of that hassle to save a few dollars? :( No thanks! I'd lose sleep over the stress of that production! LOL!! I'll pay for the convenience having somebody else do the work and who knows where they are going. :)

Mary, I think your plan to stay near Hobby Airport and then take the hotel shuttle back to Hobby (asking the driver to drop you at arrivals) is a good plan. FTTF will not matter with the shuttle. First come first transported.

I think many of the posters don't realize the hassle of arriving at Hobby or Bush and figuring out how to get to Galveston Cruise port. There is no place to return a rental on Sunday. Cab is cost prohibitive. There are a few shuttle service that are priced comparable to Carnival. (you have the link)

Have a wonderful cruise Mary.

Sorry can't answer the rest of your questions as Carnival starts their shuttle service at different times for different airports and in some cases may reserve the right to move the first departing time up in they schedule early arrival flights or delay the shuttle from the times listed in the FAQs if most of the flights they scheduled don't arrive till later.

Thanks.

Not really for embarkation day. The privileges that come with the purchase of FttF start at the entrance to the terminal when you enter the priority security line, continue while on the ship, and ends once you set foot off the ship (even in ports of call, until you reboard).

Now for disembarkation FttF can help but you must follow the instructions left in you cabin the day before. On disembarkation day priority self assist will be told where and when to meet for early disembarkation failure to do this and you will wait like any general boarding passenger for your deck to be called. The same for priority zone debarkation you will be informed of a place and time to gather then be released from there (usually before the self assist is done) otherwise you can go to eat on the MDR or Lido and wait for them to start calling zones over the PA. With zone disembarkation once a number higher than yours is called you may join that line. Flashing your S&S w/ the FttF symbol does not get you a chance to cut the line if you miss the early dismissal meeting time.

We haven't booked the hotel yet. This is what was suggested to us in other threads, so I though it would be easiest. :confused: We are going out of Galveston. I was told it could be up to an hour from the airport area to the cruise terminal. Just sounded like a lot of $$ for a cab!

I can understand being confused. I just got finished doing some research for cruises leaving out of Galveston, TX and discovered that the nearest airport is in Houston. Ugh!!!! We were planning to take my Stepson and GF. I told DH that we really have to plan this one down to the letter due to the port not being so close to the Airport. Your plan to stay at a hotel near the airport, taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport on departure day and using the Carnival transportation is a great idea.

My original reply read that would be inconvenient now that is not the case :)

Hope everything works out for you. Have a wonderful cruise!

Take a deep breath and RELAX

Galveston is an Island about 30 miles south of Houston. Hobby airport is on the south side of Houston and about a 30-45 min drive from the port. (IAH, the other and big airport is north of town and about a hour to hour and half form the port).

If using Carnival transfers just get you hotel near the airport (one with an airport shuttle) and the next morning take the shuttle back to the airport around 10am or so. Go to the baggage claim area and there will be a Carnival rep there somewhere with some sort of sign. Check in with them and they will tell you where to go. You will get on a bus and away you go. Simple.

After the cruise you will most likely have some sort of coupon for paperwork saying you have paid for the shuttle back to the airport. Just check in after you get off ship and get on the bus to the correct airport. Once the bus is full they take you to the airport. again real simple.

Don't over think this or get all twisted up over it. If you make it to the airport and can get on an earlier flight great but if not take the one you have. Relax..it's a vacation.

Take a deep breath and RELAX

Galveston is an Island about 30 miles south of Houston. Hobby airport is on the south side of Houston and about a 30-45 min drive from the port. (IAH, the other and big airport is north of town and about a hour to hour and half form the port).

If using Carnival transfers just get you hotel near the airport (one with an airport shuttle) and the next morning take the shuttle back to the airport around 10am or so. Go to the baggage claim area and there will be a Carnival rep there somewhere with some sort of sign. Check in with them and they will tell you where to go. You will get on a bus and away you go. Simple.

After the cruise you will most likely have some sort of coupon for paperwork saying you have paid for the shuttle back to the airport. Just check in after you get off ship and get on the bus to the correct airport. Once the bus is full they take you to the airport. again real simple.

Don't over think this or get all twisted up over it. If you make it to the airport and can get on an earlier flight great but if not take the one you have. Relax..it's a vacation.

LOL! I needed that! Thank you!! :D :D :D :D

Thanks.

Thank you for being our "scout ant" :p!! We are basically doing the same thing in October, and like you, this will be the first time flying in to a cruise.

We look forward to your return (I realize it's a couple months away) to hear how everything went.

If you go to the Home port page on here and click on Gulf Ports you will find info on transfer services that will pick you up and take you to the port. They have better prices sometimes. You can get transportation both ways. Good luck.

I'm fine with waiting, but I want to get there as soon as we (reasonably) can. I guess I just need to call Carnival because on my paperwork, it says transfers begin at 7:30am, but the link above says 10:00a. That's a big difference.

OMG, renting a car?!!? Sounds like a huge hassle, just to save a few dollars. Driving someplace we've never been before that's an hour away...dropping off the rental car... then getting transportation to the cruise terminal (???). Sounds like a huge stress to me. :eek: Then we return, getting transportation to the car rental place (how??), going through the process of renting another car and then driving back to the car rental place at the Galveston airport, checking the car back in... then getting transportation from the car rental place to the airport?? Do people really go to all of that hassle to save a few dollars? :( No thanks! I'd lose sleep over the stress of that production! LOL!! I'll pay for the convenience having somebody else do the work and who knows where they are going. :)

Renting a car doesn't work very well for Galveston anyway. The rental agency is in Texas City. You have to drop the car off there and take a shuttle to the port. It costs $50 for the shuttle.

If you were leaving out of Port Canaveral then a rental car from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral works great.

some questions...

Thanks.

We are sailing out of Galveston too, and believe me I did a lot of research on transportation.

We are flying in the day before to Hobby. I booked transportation (Galveston Express) from airport to hotel in Galveston for $173 for 8 people.

The hotel has free shuttle to the port for the cruise the next day.

After cruise we are taking the carnival transportation to the airport for $35 per person.

Hope this helps you some.

Whatever hotel we find will have the shuttle service back to the airport. All of the ones we've been looking at are close and offer this.

A hotel shuttle service from the hotel to the Galveston cruise terminal?? How in the world do I find this?? That would be ideal. I didn't know hotels offered this.

Have you done much reading on the Galveston departures board? People probably have hotel suggestions that are close to the port. Otherwise, just check each individual hotel site online by Googling something like "Galveston port hotels." Most of them will list if they have shuttles etc.

Good luck! Have a great cruise.:)