How do you get OBC

Daydaes

Being a lowly 1 star mariner, what is an OBC and how do you get it? Is it purchased ahead of time? This will actually be our 3 HAL cruise so I really don't know how the Mariner stars work.:) We always book with HAL PCC, does that make a difference?

A little reading down the board would reveal many ways to get an OBC. You can buy them. You can own 100 shares of Carnival stock. You can have your fare reduced, and receive some compensation in the form of an OBC. TAs give OBCs as promotions. You can have an excursion canceled and get the refund as an OBC. And several others....

OBC is On Board Credit. You get it from your TA and if you are a return cruiser you should get some from you HAL. On our second cruise we received it at time of booking. You also can receive some for booking on board. The amount depends on your room category and length of cruise.

You can also buy "on board credit" before the cruise in the Booked Guest section under Indulgences.

OBC has nothing to do with how many "stars" you have. You can earn them in a number of way, such as:

Booking promotions - Cruise week (last week) was a good example.

TA promotions - may be the same as above item.

Stockholder credits - you get OBC for owning CCL stock - 100+ shares

Booking a future cruise while onboard

Buying a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) while onboard

Getting the "Welcome home" email from Holland which offers more OBC if you book with 2 months (usually tied in with a FCD purchase).

From Holland directly to make up for a cancelled cruise or some other issue that you had while onboard.

I think that covers most of them.

DaveOKC

I am a 4 star Mariner and have 9 cruises with HAL. I have never gotten an OBC as a return cruiser.

After every cruise, we get an e-mail from HAL offering OBC if we book another cruise within a certain period of time. It is automatic. I am sure the same e-mail is sent to all mariners.

Do you book through a TA or HAL. We book through HAL and have received from $75-$300 per cabin for each cruise 11-14 day cruises.

After every cruise, we get an e-mail from HAL offering OBC if we book another cruise within a certain period of time. It is automatic. I am sure the same e-mail is sent to all mariners.

I don't recall ever getting that e mail. Have seen it mentioned here, but don't recall seeing it. We book thru a TA. Gives us better rates that HAL offers.

I don't recall ever getting that e mail. Have seen it mentioned here, but don't recall seeing it. We book thru a TA. Gives us better rates that HAL offers.
We usually book through a TA and have gotten the "welcome home" email offer about 4 or 5 times out of 16 HAL cruises.

Edited by jtl513

I am a 4 star Mariner and have 9 cruises with HAL. I have never gotten an OBC as a return cruiser.

I am Five Star Mariner and never got OBC because of number of cruises. I have gotten OBC for a number of other reasons which, likely, you have as well.

If you don't get the Welcome Home e-mail (which many do not), ask for Promo Code ZPN or ZPM if you book within 60 days of your last cruise ending. Your TA should have been able to get the $100 OBC for you. You do not have to book through HAL to get it.

Edited by sail7seas

On Board Credit -- also known as shipboard credit.

We get ours from:

Booking a future cruise while cruising or just buying the certificate deposits for a future cruise. The amount depends on how long your cruise is and cabin category.

From our TA.

From owning Carnival stock -- again the amount depends on length of cruise.

From paying for our cruises using the American Express Platinum card.

We have never gotten the "welcome home" e-mail -- so no shipboard credit for us from that.

On Board Credit -- also known as shipboard credit.

We get ours from:

Booking a future cruise while cruising or just buying the certificate deposits for a future cruise. The amount depends on how long your cruise is and cabin category.

From our TA.

From owning Carnival stock -- again the amount depends on length of cruise.

From paying for our cruises using the American Express Platinum card.

We have never gotten the "welcome home" e-mail -- so no shipboard credit for us from that.

You don't need to get the e-mail. Just ask for ZPN or ZPM. It may or may not be combinable with other OBC you seem to get.

A good TA will offer you some OBC for booking with them. Otherwise' date=' you should find another TA who will.[/quote']

So I should abandon our good TA because they don't give us OBC, but get us discounts that are greater than any OBCs being mentioned here? Note, we sail longer than 12 day cruises regularly, and are in suites. For example, on our last two cruises, our TA got us $1200 off (20 day cruise) and $1000 off (15 day cruise).

Thanks for the replies. Learned something new today:) My next question is: I've looked on the HAL website regarding the star mariner but can't find the different stars and what qualifies you from one to the next. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies. Learned something new today:) My next question is: I've looked on the HAL website regarding the star mariner but can't find the different stars and what qualifies you from one to the next. Am I missing something?

Here you go.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/myAccount/MarinerBenefits.action

If you find this helpful, please give me all 9s on the comment card. :D

If you go to the very bottom of the HAL website home page you will see Mariner Society listed at the right-hand side. Click on that and it will take you to all the info you are seeking.

Edited by the2ofus

A little reading down the board would reveal many ways to get an OBC. You can buy them. You can own 100 shares of Carnival stock. You can have your fare reduced, and receive some compensation in the form of an OBC. TAs give OBCs as promotions. You can have an excursion canceled and get the refund as an OBC. And several others....

Could I please make a request? Could you please not post this every time someone asks a question? I find it very off putting. Please let folks ask what they want. You can always choose not to answer if you are not interested. Thx.

Daydaes, you could get a Holland America brochure and it lists all the Welcome Back Rewards depending on what star Mariner you are.

There is Star Mariner (one completed cruise), 2 star mariner (30 cruise days credits), 3 SM ( 75 cruise day credits), 4 SM (200 cruise day credits) & 5SM (500 cruise day credits). You earn credits by spending money on the ship, excursions etc.

Hope this helps.

Here you go.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/myAccount/MarinerBenefits.action

If you find this helpful, please give me all 9s on the comment card. :D

ROFL...... There you go again !! :D

Star Mariner = Complete one HAL cruise OR if you have sailed any of the Carnival Family of Ships, you are already a Star Mariner. (Princess, Cunard, Costa, Carnival, Seabourn or HAL). No..... days sailed on those lines do not count as days on HAL.

2 - Star Mariner = 30 Cruise Day Credits

3 - Star Mariner = 75 Cruise Day Credits

4 - Star Mariner = 200 Cruise Day Credits

5 - Star Mariner = 500 Cruise Day Credits

You can read the above links to determine benefits that accrue for each level.

Daydaes, you could get a Holland America brochure and it lists all the Welcome Back Rewards depending on what star Mariner you are.

There is Star Mariner (one completed cruise), 2 star mariner (30 cruise days credits), 3 SM ( 75 cruise day credits), 4 SM (200 cruise day credits) & 5SM (500 cruise day credits). You earn credits by spending money on the ship, excursions etc.

Hope this helps.

Oops, sorry. I was typing while you were posting. :o

Could I please make a request? Could you please not post this every time someone asks a question? I find it very off putting. Please let folks ask what they want. You can always choose not to answer if you are not interested. Thx.

I take an alternate view. Every time someone posts, "If you just do a search..." It makes the people who do take the time to answer look even more helpful and friendly.

When that happens, it boosts my likability scores. This translates into higher customer satisfaction. In return, I get huge raises. (Not to brag, but I make twice as much to post on CruiseCritic as I used to**.)

So I say, rock on unhelpful posters!

**Twice nothing.