What is the difference in balcony categories?

ktcishot

On the Coral, how does one tell if balcony bigger/different layout from deck plans? It was one 'small' step up from a BA. Is it just location on a deck?

Thanks,

Ruth

The bigger balconies on Coral are on the Caribe deck, not including the bump outs. And they look bigger on the deck plan.

There are many different categories to choose from when picking a balcony cabin. Is there any difference between BB BA BC BD BE?

Thanks for your help!

For the most part it is location, location, location and value as Princess perceives value. Balcony cabins are all the same inside. On Grand class ships, the Caribe deck balconies are all 9'x9' regardless of category and on other decks balconies are 9'x5' regardless of category. The Coral and Island are different. Aloha and Baja deck balconies are 9'x5', on Caribe deck forward and midship "bump out" balconies are 9'x5', rear "bump out" balconies are 9'x7' and others are 9'x9', and on Dolphin and Emerald deck forward balconies are 9'x5' and others are 9'x7'. The Island also has some Promenade deck balconies that are also probably 9'x7'. It that confusing enough for you [emoji15] There is really no relationship between balcony size and cabin category on those two ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For the most part it is location, location, location and value as Princess perceives value. Balcony cabins are all the same inside. On Grand class ships, the Caribe deck balconies are all 9'x9' regardless of category and on other decks balconies are 9'x5' regardless of category. The Coral and Island are different. Aloha and Baja deck balconies are 9'x5', on Caribe deck forward and midship "bump out" balconies are 9'x5', rear "bump out" balconies are 9'x7' and others are 9'x9', and on Dolphin and Emerald deck forward balconies are 9'x5' and others are 9'x7'. The Island also has some Promenade deck balconies that are also probably 9'x7'. It that confusing enough for you [emoji15] There is really no relationship between balcony size and cabin category on those two ships.

What a relief after all those numbers:). Thanks!

• Like 1

There are many different categories to choose from when picking a balcony cabin. Is there any difference between BB BA BC BD BE?

Thanks for your help!

We really need to know what ship(s) you are looking at for these categories. For instance, on the Grand class ships and Crown Class (Ruby, Emerald), the Caribe deck balconies are larger and have both a covered and an open to the sky area. The interior of all the "B" balconies are identical. However there are differences in general location (forward, midship, aft) which affect category and price.

We will often choose an aft cabin, but more midship from the aft elevator, to get optimum price and location. While we are not subject to seasickness (go midship for that problem) we prefer being away from engine and thruster noise and/or vibration.

The cheapest balconies are the furthest away from amenities like dining, and may be subject to slightly more motion of the sea.

So, let us know which ship, please.

We really need to know what ship(s) you are looking at for these categories. For instance, on the Grand class ships and Crown Class (Ruby, Emerald), the Caribe deck balconies are larger and have both a covered and an open to the sky area. The interior of all the "B" balconies are identical. However there are differences in general location (forward, midship, aft) which affect category and price.

We will often choose an aft cabin, but more midship from the aft elevator, to get optimum price and location. While we are not subject to seasickness (go midship for that problem) we prefer being away from engine and thruster noise and/or vibration.

The cheapest balconies are the furthest away from amenities like dining, and may be subject to slightly more motion of the sea.

So, let us know which ship, please.

Majestic!

Honestly, all our balcony cabins have been pretty much the same. We usually let Princess choose our cabin, and it has never been a problem. To get a larger balcony, you need to get a mini-suite. A few of the cheapest balconies have metal railings instead of see-through plexiglass ones.

A regular balcony cabin has about room enough to sit in a chair and read a book. Sunbathing will not be practical. The mini-suite balconies are larger and have room enough to lie down in a chaise. None of the balconies are really very private. They are only separated from your neighbors by a flimsy partition. Thank goodness they banned smoking on those balconies! I remember when the cigarette stink drove me back into my cabin.

Honestly, all our balcony cabins have been pretty much the same. We usually let Princess choose our cabin, and it has never been a problem. To get a larger balcony, you need to get a mini-suite. A few of the cheapest balconies have metal railings instead of see-through plexiglass ones.
The Caribe deck balconies on Grand class ships and most of the Caribe deck balconies on the Coral and Island are 9x9, almost 30% larger than the 9x7 mini-suite balconies. There are two chairs and two ottoman so you can approximate two lounge chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Coral, look at the cabin description on the Princess website- not the generic cabin descriptions, but the actual deck plans for each deck... Then you will see, for instance, the "Premium Balcony" cabins on Caribe deck and elsewhere once you roll your mouse over the actual cabin numbers for each cabin. The "premium" moniker will generally indicate the bigger balcony, at least on this ship. And, like someone else said, the little balcony outline on the map will be bigger.

Edited by yuccaman

Thanks for your help!

Midship

Mid aft

Aft

Mid forward forward

On some lines coupled with deck

Then you may have B1 etc which will have something to set them apart, often a larger balcony.

I personally ignore their grading system. I find some balcony cabins deemed inferior to be much better than higher graded ones so it all comes down to personal opinion. I personally find it crazy that there are so many categories and it only confuses people. An expert cruiser who knows their ship knows full well that there are undesirable cabins on ships with expensive price tags and what makes them undesirable is that they may be overlooked by other balcony cabins or they may be over an entertainment venue.

It is best to do your own research of the deck plans and make your decision accordingly irrelevant of their grading system.

Anyone know about BF Grade on Crown,don't think that there are many ?
There are 44 Cat BF cabins on the Crown, eleven on each side all of the way forward on Riviera and Lido decks. Those cabins are the same as any other balcony cabins inside and have the standard 9'x5' balcony. The

Lido deck cabins are conveniently located near the pools and a short walk to the buffet. The forward elevator will take you down to the entrance of the Princess Theater. The downside is that you are high and all of the way forward. If you have rough seas or are prone to motion sickness those cabins will have the most movement of almost any cabins on the Crown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got a deal on a BY balcony cabin on Sun Princess - it's meant to have one of those overhead beds (sorry first time cruiser so not sure of terminology!) - Where would they even be? None of the pictures I've seen online of balcony cabins show the overhead beds so I can't imagine where they'll squeeze them in...

• 5 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 5:38 AM, RubySlippers85 said:

I got a deal on a BY balcony cabin on Sun Princess - it's meant to have one of those overhead beds (sorry first time cruiser so not sure of terminology!) - Where would they even be? None of the pictures I've seen online of balcony cabins show the overhead beds so I can't imagine where they'll squeeze them in...

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit

On 9/27/2016 at 2:38 AM, RubySlippers85 said:

When stowed it looks like it is part of the ceiling or wall.

Edited by brisalta