Cabin Steward earns extra tips: What have you requested?

Aviendah

I enjoy giving extra tips to our cabin stewards as they have all been amazing and frankly I enjoy seeing the looks on their faces. I do this intermittently throughout the cruise because a) I am assured fantastic service and b) I have had several almost cry with gratitude for the extra gift. And yes, we prepay our gratuities.

I'm curious to see what other cruisers have done for their cabin stewards and also requests that have been made earning the steward extra tips. My twin boys will be turning 16 on our March Breeze cruise and along with all the usual funshop trappings I'm thinking I may ask our cabin steward for birthday ideas outside of the ordinary requests.

Suazo and Arifin ~ Valor

ry%3D480

I don't usually ask for anything extra, except that I like to sleep late so I ask that they not knock on the door until they know I have left. I don't trust the "Snoozin'" signs as some people find it funny to switch them around.

I feel bad that it may inconvenience them as I know they want to hurry up and get all the rooms cleaned, but it is vacation and I don't get a chance to sleep in at home.

They always do a fantastic job of getting in and out, oftentimes even if I just run up to the buffet and come right back, my room is made up. It's like magic :) So I tip extra not for just the fact that they do their jobs, but that they do it so efficiently. And for that, it's worth a few extra bucks.

We usually tip the room steward double the suggested amount (prepaid the tips plus handed a an envelope at the end of the cruise) on our last cruise, he introduced himself the first afternoon and asked if we needed anything and asked about our preferences. I had forgotten an extension cord for my CPAP and he brought me one in 10 minutes. He was always friendly and greeted us in the hallway, giving us tips on the ports or activities on the ship. Once my son wet his bed and he had to change the sheets. All in all he was very pleasant and genuine through out the cruise and an example of competent service and excellent people skills. He earned every bit of both tips. For me the prepaid gratuities are salary and the extra tip a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding the tip issue, can someone clarify the Carnival policy for me? I understand that whenever you give additional tips, the money has to go into a pot and is then further distributed. How does this help your room steward? If you doesn't report it, his job is in jeopardy. If he does turn it in, he did not receive what you intended him to get for his good service. Is this really how the tip program works or am I misled?

I too give more than just the auto tip and like the op I also enjoy the look on their faces

Last trip I had one sit , stay and fetch

Was really worth the extra 20

So tipping 20 lets you treat him like a dog? Good one!

quote.gif

Regarding the tip issue, can someone clarify the Carnival policy for me? I understand that whenever you give additional tips, the money has to go into a pot and is then further distributed. How does this help your room steward? If you doesn't report it, his job is in jeopardy. If he does turn it in, he did not receive what you intended him to get for his good service. Is this really how the tip program works or am I misled?

What do you do if you are eating in a restaurant where the staff pools tips? I know that I leave what I intended to leave anyway (if I even know that tips are pooled, which normally I don't). I don't think they have to pool their tips onboard, but it can be difficult to discern reality from myth.

Considering that the wife/husband cabin steward team that we had on our last cruise told us that they make enough money in 4 months to pay for a nice house, hire a nanny to assist their parents with childcare, have workers tending to their house during their absence, and will have enough money to pay for their 2 kids college education (while getting 8 weeks of vacation a year), I feel that the auto tips are a fair amount. Stewards do a consistently wonderful job, but they are compensated fairly for that job. The quality of life that these workers enjoy back in their countries is something that people with similar jobs in the US only dream about.

Have I ever tipped extra? Yes. For unique, beyond the call of duty service, but not because they were friendly, or kept my ice bucket full, or because they let me sleep late. Also, when Carnival wouldn't let us auto-charge tips for our son when he was under 2. I felt that our cabin steward worked harder to tend to our son than to anybody else in our family and I considered it to be unfair that he would not be compensated via auto-tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I enjoy giving extra tips to our cabin stewards as they have all been amazing and frankly I enjoy seeing the looks on their faces. I do this intermittently throughout the cruise because a) I am assured fantastic service and b) I have had several almost cry with gratitude for the extra gift. And yes, we prepay our gratuities.

I'm curious to see what other cruisers have done for their cabin stewards and also requests that have been made earning the steward extra tips. My twin boys will be turning 16 on our March Breeze cruise and along with all the usual funshop trappings I'm thinking I may ask our cabin steward for birthday ideas outside of the ordinary requests.

Suazo and Arifin ~ Valor

ry%3D480

Can't say I've ever asked for something other than what he was already responsible for. Can't say I've ever left anything more than what is expected, and have always received superior service.

Considering that the wife/husband cabin steward team that we had on our last cruise told us that they make enough money in 4 months to pay for a nice house, hire a nanny to assist their parents with childcare, have workers tending to their house during their absence, and will have enough money to pay for their 2 kids college education (while getting 8 weeks of vacation a year), I feel that the auto tips are a fair amount. Stewards do a consistently wonderful job, but they are compensated fairly for that job. The quality of life that these workers enjoy back in their countries is something that people with similar jobs in the US only dream about.

Have I ever tipped extra? Yes. For unique, beyond the call of duty service, but not because they were friendly, or kept my ice bucket full, or because they let me sleep late. Also, when Carnival wouldn't let us auto-charge tips for our son when he was under 2. I felt that our cabin steward worked harder to tend to our son than to anybody else in our family and I considered it to be unfair that he would not be compensated via auto-tips.

If they are friendly, keep my ice bucket full and do an excellent job then I will fill out a feedback card so the onboard management is aware of the excellent service provided. If I have made requests through the week that are over and above what is expected then I will tip extra accordingly and fill out the feedback card.

Carnival does NOT pool tips, regardless whether it's pre paid, on you card account, or cash.

We generally give them $20 on the first day and ask for the ice to be kept full. Last cruise we did that and never saw the steward again, and no ice either. We'll try it again next cruise and see what happens.

Why not try it the other way around? Do not give the $20 before and still ask for ice in the ice bucket every day. See what happens. Giving it first is like a bribe and, as you can testify, does not always lead to better service. Giving it at the end for excellent service is a tip and they earn it. We have both times had our smalle cooler filled every day with ice and no bribery was needed.

Tipping is everyone's personal choice, and I won't offer my opinion.

However, "The look on their face" and "almost ready to cry" is a bit far fetched. They work for a living, and get tips. That tells me one thing, if you read between the lines. If they are that excited to get a tip, than maybe, way too many Carnival cruisers don't? If everyone tipped appropriately, they would have no need for tears!

Why not try it the other way around? Do not give the $20 before and still ask for ice in the ice bucket every day. See what happens. Giving it first is like a bribe and, as you can testify, does not always lead to better service. Giving it at the end for excellent service is a tip and they earn it. We have both times had our smalle cooler filled every day with ice and no bribery was needed.

I don't have to try anything. I will do what I feel best doing.

In my case it is tipping some money up front.

I do ask for ice twice a day and extra pillows. On other cruise lines I asked for items that carnival doesn't offer.

Edited by lostdart1

I enjoy giving extra tips to our cabin stewards as they have all been amazing and frankly I enjoy seeing the looks on their faces.

See, this is exactly why I do NOT like to give tips directly to the stewards/waitstaff.

If I feel they have gone above and beyond, and want to thank them for their exceptional service, I go to the service desk and add it there. Or for the cabin steward, I leave it in the cabin with a note.

The whole point is that I want to thank them. It isn't about making me feel good by seeing the "looks on their faces." Oh, look how generous I am! Aren't I wonderful! I feel so good about myself now!

I'm not saying the people don't deserve it. But it shouldn't be about you and how it makes you feel. It should be about rewarding people for the work they've done.

Anyway, I rarely ask for anything extra and I still get great service. I don't give bribes upfront and still get great service. I don't want cabin stewards or waitstaff hovering or grovelling in the hopes of receiving additional monies.

All I want is for them to do their jobs as quietly and unobtrusively as possible. I know exceptional service when I see it and will reward accordingly. But I certainly don't do it to make myself feel good about myself!!

Seriously, am I the only person who sees it from this viewpoint? It isn't about you!!!

However, "The look on their face" and "almost ready to cry" is a bit far fetched. They work for a living, and get tips. That tells me one thing, if you read between the lines. If they are that excited to get a tip, than maybe, way too many Carnival cruisers don't? If everyone tipped appropriately, they would have no need for tears!

Some actually fall for this gimmick. I wonder how many of the help practice the look in the mirror.

Every time I have given extra, I have always gotten a "thank you very much".

To put it into perspective, a cruise ship worker leaves their country and family for months at a time and for years at a time because they can't even come close to making the same money at home. Yes they make good money, but it comes with long hours and time away from family. IMHO, it's about doing what you feel is right. We have cruised and just given the auto tip, and we've also give extra. I have been to many 3 world countries and believe me, I don't dream about living like that.

I will NEVER EVER give a tip the first day-- that is more of a bribe to me.

We prepay-- if we ask for stuff during the week then we will tip extra.

More times we don't request anything extra at all we leave the autotips and that is all.

To put it into perspective, a cruise ship worker leaves their country and family for months because they can't even come close to making the same money at home.

I have been to many 3 world countries and believe me, I don't dream about living like that.

Exactly. And that's why they work for the cruise lines. They can live a VERY comfortable life, unlike many of their fellow citizens who can't even find a job, and those who do, will never see the kind of money cruise workers make. The husband/wife team that I mentioned said that they absolutely love what they do. They take 4 month contracts and then they are off the rest of the year. Not many people in the US can work a third of the year and make enough to live a comfortable life while enjoying time off for 8 months in a row.

Is being away from home and family a sacrifice? Of course, we all do it one way or another in order to work and provide for our families. (I should know. I travel for a living). Yes, these workers go away for months at a time, but the rewards more than make up for the time spent away from home. I don't feel compelled to tip extra because of some perceived notion that these workers are underpaid/overworked/poor/sad, etc, etc, or because I feel sorry for their work conditions.

Edited by Tapi

I'm sure that the room stewards on cruise ships are no different than the passengers. Some have financial problems, some don't. Same as all of us. Even though, I am far from being rich, I do not struggle financially, so if I can help out someone else by giving them a little extra, I'm happy to do so.