can I make a 10:25AM flight

cruisehome

OP,

It is reasonable to assume that you are prepared to do self disembarkation. If you do not understand the dynamics of this process please post and I can go into the details.

This also assumes that you are aware of the potential for an increase in the Homeland Security/TSA alert level. This would affect both your disembarkation and airport transit.

It took over 2 hours for our ship to be cleared in FLL.

Then, there were only 2 immigration officers to deal with the entire shipload of passengers.

It took us another 2 hours to clear immigration.

I wouldn't be prepared to gamble on catching a 10:25 a.m. flight.

It took over 2 hours for our ship to be cleared in FLL.

Then, there were only 2 immigration officers to deal with the entire shipload of passengers.

It took us another 2 hours to clear immigration.

I wouldn't be prepared to gamble on catching a 10:25 a.m. flight.

Highly unusual.

Ship gets in around 5:30.

Go for it.

Ship gets in around 5:30.

Go for it.

I see OP's cruise is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 a.m. OP - what does your cruise line recommend for the earliest flight? I see you want to use FF miles to book the ticket. What will the airline do if you miss the earlier flight? Will they open up award seats on a later flight? Or, will you have to pay walk up fares?

Sure, you can make it, provided its 10:25am the day after you disembark.

We almost missed a 12:30pm flight one time due to delays in clearing the ship and not enough immigrations staff in the terminal. there are so many variables beyond your control, but if you are comfortable with the risks, it's your call.

Either way, good luck and have a great trip.

Depends on a lot of things:

What ship are you disembarking and what time is scheduled arrival?

How many ships are in port that day?

Do you or you companion(s) have any mobility issues?

Are you willing/able to self disembark?

Are you disembarking and flying out of the same city, or do you have to get, for example, from Port of Miami to FLL or vice versa?

What transportation are you taking to the airport? (If it's a cruise shuttle, forget it.)

Will you be able to check in for your flight ahead of time?

Will you be checking bags?

Do you have any priority status with the airline that allows you to use a VIP check-in/bag check line?

Are you eligible to use TSA PreCheck line, or if available, an airline priority security line?

How familiar are you with the airport?

And if you don't make the flight:

Do you have any status with your airline that will help you get re-accommodated more quickly/easily?

Do you have alternate flights already noted to assist with getting rebooked?

How many are in your traveling party that will need to get rebooked? Will you insist on being on the same flights?

Edited by waterbug123

What airport, what port, what ship?

Honestly, when we sailed the crown princess we did self debark from Port Everglades and after a 5 or minute taxi ride or so we were at the airport shortly after 8am. We could have made a 10:30 flight no problem.

But, I would never have had the guts to book a flight that early. I would have been in an utter panic that morning hoping that the ship got in early enough and we got off the ship in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that if it's an airline that is notorious for schedule changes, you can book the 10:25 am flight and when they change the schedule, you can modify your booking to a different flight for free even if the new flight that you change to is originally a much more expensive flight.

Of course, if they change the schedule to a later time anyway, you won't have to do anything, just be glad it was moved later.